Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-02-11, 09:16 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Odd thing at a pond.

There was bass pushing yellow perch minnows to the shore. I was watching them push them it was pretty interesting to watch, so i tied on a rapala yellow perch minnow color. it match the rough size and color. Could not get anything. Worked it through school the minnows didnt move away from it also. so then i has straggling behind the school didnt work. there was some nice bass too 3 lber just cruising back and forth. any input on why it didn't work?
Old 11-02-11, 09:55 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Maybe just not moving the same,try a fast retrieve then kill it and let it sink to see if a reaction occurs.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 10:34 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a lake I fish most of the time that has shad. The bass will chase the shad and push them to the surface and then pounce on them. For the longest time I had a heck of a time figuring out how to catch those bass. I threw many many lures at them that looked like those shad. Hard jerk baits, spoons, crankbaits, lipless cranks, all shad pattern and not a single strike. I threw spinnerbaits, small swim baits, various surface baits including buzzbaits and jitterbugs. Nothing. Finally I started throwing a 3 inch Xcaliber popper and those same bass started annihilating it. And it's been that way since. Now why none of those other lures wouldnt draw any interrest but the popper did is anyones guess. But I do believe the poppers action worked fast on the surface very closely resembles the commotion on the surface durring a shad feeding spree. So I'd have to agree with lilmule. It may not be whether your lure looks like a perch, but insted, what kind of action it has.

Last edited by keithdog; 11-03-11 at 06:55 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 11:23 PM   #4
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sometimes you gotta zig instead of zag. If you have a big school of yellow perch and you throw a yellow perch lure, it's not going to stand out and the bass have hundreds or thousands of other options that look the same as your bait. You might try fishing a jig or something that looks like a bluegill or shad instead, something that will stand out as different and give the bass something to hone in on.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 07:21 AM   #5
Dogmatic

I have most of my success when bass are busting schools of shad, like Keith, with a top water popper, so much so that I keep one tied on all the time now. I just think it looks like a wounded baitfish struggling on the surface, and an easy meal.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 08:29 AM   #6
AUFred

a topwater bait like a pop R might work too.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.