Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-05-11, 08:49 AM   #51
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tavery5 and kenneth you guys don't need to apologize. I actually enjoy the jousting and banter. The post I made last was meant to be at least a little humoruos not lecturing about conduct. In my book, it takes me so long to type a post and then spell check then check puncuation then post and then realize I missed something like a period and I'll actuall go back and edit the post just to add the period. I've been first to read and first to reply and by the time I'm done there's a half dozen replies already. Pretty anal I know, or maybe I'm not anal, just an ***hole! So in reality the more responses I get the happier I get and usually if not always I learn something. Oh ya, I got a license and a college degree and I'm bonded to boot. In fact I would of double majored in college but I couldn't get them to give me credit for all the DRINKING hours, hell if I throw in dope (remember this is distant past) I probably could have triple majored and yes I did inhale!
Ya I'm back here editing again, changed an (a) to an (i).
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 11:31 AM   #52
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Tavery5 and kenneth you guys don't need to apologize. I actually enjoy the jousting and banter. The post I made last was meant to be at least a little humoruos not lecturing about conduct. In my book, it takes me so long to type a post and then spell check then check puncuation then post and then realize I missed something like a period and I'll actuall go back and edit the post just to add the period. I've been first to read and first to reply and by the time I'm done there's a half dozen replies already. Pretty anal I know, or maybe I'm not anal, just an ***hole! So in reality the more responses I get the happier I get and usually if not always I learn something. Oh ya, I got a license and a college degree and I'm bonded to boot. In fact I would of double majored in college but I couldn't get them to give me credit for all the DRINKING hours, hell if I throw in dope (remember this is distant past) I probably could have triple majored and yes I did inhale!
Ya I'm back here editing again, changed an (a) to an (i).
Hey Joe just for fun K....humorous....punctuation.....actually....yes.. .have...have...yea
Old 11-05-11, 12:13 PM   #53
joedog

Tavery, I let you guys tell me.
I do have a friend who is full of sh** so I'm thinking of trying Ken's fart idea.
kenneth, you guys scared me off. Just joking! But, in my opinion you get a false insight from peoples posts. With the internet and twiting and texting so popular I feel people say things they would never even consider saying if they were face to face in a conversation. Animosity is very powerfull and tends to breed courage that is usually not present face to face.
Old 11-05-11, 12:25 PM   #54
joedog

kenneth, I never said I could edit succesfully I just do it in an attempt to hide my ignorance. After forgetting names my biggest down fall is spelling and punctuation. Isn't there a spell check some where at this site? I'm not hiding it very well am I?
I posted and had to come back and edit because I forgot to put your name in....but I think I spelled everything right.
If I only had a mind, my life would be so much simplier! As always I do appreciate any and all criticisms, it can only make me a better person. I know you weren't criticing me and I truely got a chuckle from your post. I mite as well stop the editing because as Ken has shown me, I'm really just wasting my time.
Hey the k was used instead of K because thats how you punctuate your name on the posts, so that one goes to me.

Last edited by joedog; 11-05-11 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 12:29 PM   #55
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Tavery, I let you guys tell me.
I do have a friend who is full of sh** so I'm thinking of trying Ken's fart idea.
kenneth, you guys scared me off. Just joking! But, in my opinion you get a false insight from peoples posts. With the internet and twiting and texting so popular I feel people say things they would never even consider saying if they were face to face in a conversation. Animosity is very powerfull and tends to breed courage that is usually not present face to face.

Yes Joe if you mean spelling, grammar, punctuation and the like I understand that a quick and spontaneous forum post is very casual and not subject to the same scrutiny as a Doctoral thesis. If you mean pomp and bravado spouted by the certainty of hundreds of miles of seperation and anonymity your right there too. Even so pretenders and posers are usually easy to spot.
Old 11-05-11, 12:37 PM   #56
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've seen a lot of guys to the tip of rod to throat trick, or rub the tip on the carpet. But the best way I've seen to systematically test and compare the sensitivity of one's rods was used by a TT member, patrickatryon.

He set his phone at set distances on a tile floor, set the ringer to vibrate. Then he set the tip of the rod being tested on the floor and called his phone. He'd move the phone progressively closer until he could feel the vibrations. This wouldn't really be a good way to compare someone else's tests because of the all the variables (the tile's ability to transmit vibration, the strength of the phone's vibration, etc.), but would work to compare your own rods.

BB
Old 11-05-11, 12:39 PM   #57
kennethdaysale

Quote:
I never said I could edit succesfully I just do it in an attempt to hide my ignorance. After forgetting names my biggest down fall is spelling and punctuation. Isn't there a spell check some where at this site? I'm not hiding it very well am I?
Hey Joe if you really want to have some fun and get your posting ego ripped to shreds I'll be happy to follow you around for a few days with a fat red error pen!
Example......in the post above some where should be somewhere and down fall should be downfall.
Old 11-05-11, 12:51 PM   #58
Tavery5

Joe, the simple answer is I don't know. But I will share with you what I have been able to learn about the subject. I subscribe to the school of thought that rod sensitivity is purely subjective. Why? I mean with the proper tooling and equipment, smart engineers and such we should be able to measure the vibration that is transmitted through the rod easily enough. All of that may be true enough, but in my mind it does not make much difference. I think an individuals ability to process the vibration the rod is actually transmitting is much like the way we hear. The lure, line and rod and its compo nets work together to transmit vibration to the finger tips of the person holding the rod. Not everyone can hear in exactly the same range of frequencies, maybe due to injury, genetics or just plain old listening to too much Led Zeppelin at loud levels. I don't believe that everyone has the same ability to sense vibration with the receptors in their fingertips, much for the same reasons (well minus the Led Zep). So what may feel good to you and work for you, might not be the right piece of equipment for me.

If there was a tool available, and to my knowledge there is not, to measure the sensitivity in fishing rods I think it would be detrimental to rod manufactures. Why? Because while you may be able to get some repeatable results within a given batch of rod blanks, I think you would find results all over the place with finished rods. Everything you add to the blank would change the reading, guides, epoxy, wraps, seats, cork, a whole list of variables. It would create a big mess, I mean I am not going to pay the same price for my Falcon Cara rod when it only rates a 4 on whatever scale were using to measure these rods, when yours scores a 5.5. If you want to discuss this more we can create another thread, because I could go on all day about my OPINIONS on this subject. But at least this shed a little light on what some of what I have been able to learn. Bottom line, if you pick up a rod, and it feels good to you, if it meets your requirements for the technique you want to fish, I say get it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.