Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-20-11, 11:09 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rapala Knot

I know alot of you use palomar, cinch and and alot of other standard knots as I do too. But remember the old rapala knot? Dose anyone still use this? If so when and why. On the same thought dose anyone use a different loop knot, again when and why?
What motivated this thread was someone told me that crankbaits have better action and success with a loop not (ya I'm sure it's not called a loop knot) and I was wondering if anyone else has heard this and or dose this. Being a shore fisherman I use lipless cranks and on rare occasions a square bill or other snallow cranks and I do use jerk baits. So is the rapala or other loop knot worth investigating like on a lipless for example or jerkbait?
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 12:07 AM   #2
Jrob78

I use a Rapala knot or a McNally Loop knot on topwater baits. I use these 2 knots simply because they're both pretty easy to tie. I always just tie to the split ring on crankbaits and jerkbaits. I've heard that loop knots are good for crankbaits and jerkbaits but then I've also heard that if a manufacturer puts split rings on a bait, the bait is designed to be fished with split rings, who knows. I think it would be worth experimenting with, especially on jerkbaits.
Old 10-21-11, 06:43 PM   #3
islandbass

I like to use it but on the water I always seem to forget how to do it. Nice alternative to duo locks when you don't have any on hand.
Old 10-21-11, 08:27 PM   #4
Tavery5

Like to tie the loop knot for hollow frogs, poppers and sammy's.
Old 10-22-11, 07:54 PM   #5
Bender

Same here, I use the Rapala knot on poppers and sometimes on walking topwater baits if they don't have a split ring. If you are doing it with braid make sure that you leave an extra long tag end, then pull the knot tight again after you cut. I pull both sides to tighten but this knot seems to slip a bit when tightening down by pulling on just the mainline after cutting (as a fish would do).
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 09:52 PM   #6
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I put a split ring on the front of rapalas & crankbaits & topwater baits. I also use a clip which I tie with a palomar knot.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.