Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-25-11, 11:39 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default I hate fishing on the backside of a front.

My son and I have been planning a fishing trip for Saturday for two weeks. Now it looks like we have a front blowing through on Friday. The last time I went the plastic worm bite was good. Not sure what approach may work after the front.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 11:42 AM   #2
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Don't pay much attention to the post front just fish as you normally would they just wont be as active thats all.
Old 10-25-11, 11:45 AM   #3
AUFred

Around here on small water like I fish I have seen them clamp down where they won't bite at all for a couple of days. Water in the pond I am fishing was real clear last time I went maybe a little rain will stain the water for me.
Old 10-25-11, 12:16 PM   #4
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

depending on the water temp. at the time that it hits if you back up to the next piece of structure/cover where they should be they will prolly be there if they are in shoreline grass before the front after the front they may be on stumps or rocks a little further out. thats what i do and it works for me as well as anything else.
Old 10-25-11, 01:53 PM   #5
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had the same thing here last weekend. I make multiple casts to each target and fish s-l-o-w.
Old 10-25-11, 03:28 PM   #6
pro reel

Bad fishing conditions can be caused by many factors. Post front, sudden temperature swings, wind or lack of wind, high barometric presure and water clarity and lake turn overs are all things that can seriously hamper the bite. The thing to remember is there are always some fish that can be caught. Tony and i got a good taste of this recently on the 40 acre lake we fish frequently. We are used to catching good numbers of fish during just about any conditions, some days are just way better than others. Recently the lake had a turnover and that seems to have drastically affected the bite. I almost got skunked one day last week and then again this weekend I was not doing good at all. Tony had been catching a few fish on deep cranks, but I was positive that I should have been able to catch the same fish on finnese tactics. It wasn't happening. I finally resorted to deep cranks and found that I could catch quite a few bass by shoving my rod in the water and getting my DD22 to hit bottom. If it didn't hit bottom, I didn't catch a fish, if I could hit bottom along the bottom edge of any rip rap areas, I caught a fish on almost every cast. This was one of those days that many would have chalked off as a bad day of fishing and went home. It turned out being one of my better days in awhile, but I had to fish differently than I was used to. I think the key to finding fish in bad conditions is to not waste time doing things that are not working, no matter how sure you are that they should be working. One other thing is that sometimes you need to toss out all the conventional wisdom and try something off the wall.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 03:56 PM   #7
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Pro reel do you think a carolina rig might have worked for you in that cituation?
Old 10-25-11, 06:04 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been faced with fishing post frontal situations a lot lately on our small 87 acre lake. I havn't caught many but the ones I have caught have been very good size. The key for me has been to get out early well before sunrise. Durring post front conditions, I usually do ok before sunrise, usually on topwaters fished over the tops of weedbeds in 8-12 foot of water. But once that sun breaks near the tree tops and the brite sunny blue skies take over, the bite drops dramatically.
Old 10-25-11, 07:05 PM   #9
lilmule

Been so dry here I think the bass want to drink,cut the grass today(zero turn rider) dust flying and was sweating ,yes cool front headed in hip hip horay.
Other than a drop in barometric pressure think most of the problem is upstairs in our minds,64f water and topwater bite dies after sun gets up,maybe last a lil longer when cloudy and sprinkles who knows ,wear rain suit and go anyway.
Ps picked tomatoes and peppers just in case mr frost comes around.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 07:31 PM   #10
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Pro reel do you think a carolina rig might have worked for you in that cituation?
I sure thought it should have, until i drug it around for almost an hour without a bite. LOL
There were 3 of us fishing that day. Ron and i wanted to try a lot of finesse type things and Tony wanted to power fish with cranks etc. Ron and I went in one boat and Tony was in his boat. Ron and I started with some small cranks and vibra jigs before daybreak, then switched to pitching jigs as soon as we could see good. We worked a long stretch of the best section of rip rap on this lake, without a bite. I tried smaller finesse jigs, no luck. Ron tried plastic baits, no luck. We talked to Tony and he had 3 nice fish early on spinner baits, guess he picked a better spot that we did with the cranks and vibra jigs, or spinner baits were just a better choice. Ron tried a spinner for a while, but that bite was over. We then headed to the deep water humps and brush piles. We tried jigs, no luck, drop shot, no luck, Ron kept working jigs in the brush piles and drop offs as i spent nearly an hour dragging C rigs around all that stuff. We did catch a lot of hangups and lost a bunch of baits, but no fish. I finally said enough is enough. I broke out the 8 ft stick with my custom cranking reel, a Calcutta with 3.8.1 gears. I tied on a silver and bone DD 22 and started making long casts off the back of the boat while Ron juat barely moved the boat forward with the TM on low. Ron kept trying other baits. We were basically holding the boat in line with where the rip rap met the lake floor, at about 20 to 25 ft deep in places and 15 to 20 in others. I shoved the rod all the way into the water with the reel just inchs from getting wet and cranked away. Anytime I could get contact I caught a fish. That worked anywhere on the lake that had deep water by rip rap. Ron didn't have any big rods or any deep cranks. He tried it with a 14 ft diver but couldn't get contact. He even tried a red eye shad for quite some time. yo yo ing it to try for a reaction bite, no luck. He did catch a few small bass during the day, but that was it. I offered to switch and let him fish my rig for awhile, but he wanted to keep trying his stuff. That was one of those days that a reaction from a crank hitting bottom or rocks was the only thing that worked consistently, and it worked good enough that i caught several nice bass with the biggest being a chunky 18 inch fish.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 10:47 PM   #11
kennethdaysale

Seems all these posts have merit...general theme being dont lock yourself into a preconcieved notion of what they should hit. pro reels Paul Elias "neel and reel" approach being a good example of thinking outside the box. I have always managed to sqeek out a few post front fish by downsizing and fishing really tight to cover, since the book says their strike zone will be measured in inches. Our water hasn't turned over yet but when it does I think I'll give those DD22's a go!
Old 10-26-11, 08:16 AM   #12
AUFred

The front will not deter me from going but I expect a light bite on plastic which has been effective. The pond I am going to has a pretty fair topwater bite until 9-ish most days because it stays shaded until then. My son has not gone with me in years and I hate it more for him than me. He got excited after seeing the last picture I posted.
Old 10-26-11, 10:18 PM   #13
Thingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

We had a front come through here in Florida late last week. My buddy and I fished the post-front anyway and we had very different results. I caught 10 (biggest was 4 plus) and he caught one small fish.

The difference is that I was patient enough to dead-stick a worm that I had confidence in all day. My buddy was determined to try everything in his bag ... he fished em fast, fished em slow, fished em high and fished em low. I was back-of-the-boat and on several occasions I pulled fish out of spots that he had just fished. I was just confident that I would get bites and he was afraid he wouldn't. Simple as that.
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11, 06:04 PM   #14
Dogmatic

@Thingfish, Sometimes...less is more.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-11, 08:25 AM   #15
joedog

Confidence! That really sums it up!
Another advantage (not in your case,Thing) to backboating it is, the cast angles are usually quite different. Front man advantage for reaction bite, back man advantage for finese fishing. Just my veiw and yes I'd still take front if it's an option.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 04:54 PM   #16
AUFred

Caught a few. Missed a few. Got blown off the water early.
Old 10-31-11, 02:14 PM   #17
Raul

Confidence and having the right approach are two very different things, you can have all the confidence in the world but that doesnīt mean you are having the right approach, and you learn to have the right approach by suffering what we all have suffered at one time or another, the dreaded S word.

Temps in the 90īs, water temps in the 80īs, clear bluebird skies, the lake like glass, visibility 3 ft, thatīs what we had last week, been there before many times and after trying in previous ocassions with different approaches what worked was split shot rigged/ unweighted french fry worms retrieved very slowly or plain deadsticked. Of course to find out that approach is what works in those conditions I got the S word so many times I canīt even remember.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.