Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-04-11, 09:36 AM   #1
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default a new design for jigs, this is interesting.

I recently found out about a new jig on the market. The guy that has this new jig has some great videos where he explains the design and how it works better than the jig we are all used to. I think I am sold, now i just need to get some. Watch the videos and tell me what you think.

http://www.perfectstriketackle.com/products/
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 10:02 AM   #2
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Very interesting. What do you guys think about his dowel testing device. I definitely want to try them!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 10:09 AM   #3
gonefishin3

Can you guys tell if they tie their jigs? isnt 5 bucks a pretty hefty price? they do look pretty sweet i might order me some

His dowel testing device is odd... i was looking at that but it seems it works though
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 10:41 AM   #4
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It definitely looks interesting. For better side-by-side comparisons of various jigs, though, I would think you'd want to somehow be able to pull the line at the same angle and at the same speed through the dowel testing device.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 10:50 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

Hey I love jigs and I'm game to try a new one. I wish they had shown that dowell test at true hook setting speeds and replaced the dowels with pieces of overcooked pork chops. One of the things I have always liked about jigs is the high hook up ratio compared to worms. I rarely set the hook on a jig without catching the fish, what are yalls experience re: catch ratio? I do really like the fact that their spokesman is a real person that had obviously just taken their daily dose of Ativan rather than hiring a "Billy Mays" type that had just snorted an eight ball before filming the spot.

Ps I must have been typing this when WB made his comment so I think speed is going to be a common request in the do-over vid.
Old 11-04-11, 11:33 AM   #6
Dogmatic

I'm sorry...what we're they selling, I fell asleep a minute into the vid...LOL
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 12:03 PM   #7
boloson

not doubting the jig's effectiveness but i dont think that dowel device is a good representation of a fish's mouth, let alone a large mouth's mouth. just starting to get into jigs, mainly jig heads though. might have to give these a try
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 01:45 PM   #8
pro reel

Yes, the video's are kind of boring. Thats what happens when you interview a real person who is trying to explain the product he built and why it works. A spokesman would have condenesed it and made it like any other comercial, and of course they would show it catch dozens of bass that they had in a tank and put on the hook before they started filming.

The dowel device does simulate a largmouth bass's mouth, IMO. Look at how he stagered the 2 rods to be very similar the the lower lip of a bass that protrudes and closes with the bottom lip overlapping the upper somewhat. Now, of course his device doesn't have any other areas similar to a bass's mouth like the sides which is where most regular jigs will hook. Thats evidently because he thinks that a lot of fish are missed that way and his is designed to hook the upper lip or the roof of the mouth. If he can pull one regular jig after another through that rig and have everyone of them roll to the side and pop out, then I think that a jig might do that same thing in a bass's mouth, unless it snags the edge, which is where i hook a lot of bass on jigs.

I know a lot of us will say that we think we hook most of the bass that bite our jigs. I'm not sure of that. I catch a lot of bass on jigs. I also set the hook on nothing a lot of times when i was sure i had a bite. I chalk those times up to thinking that it must have been a bluegill that grabed just the bait and i jerked it away from them. Or maybe it had just banged a rock but felt like a fish. Now, I have to wonder if not all, but many of those times I actually pulled it right out of a bass's mouth just like his dowel rods show.

The last point that has me very interested is how it seems to always flip up as it drags across something. I think he might be right that you could fish this jig in very thick brush and pull it right through without hooking the branchs. If it does work, then 5 bucks is fine as I would not lose nearly as many to hang ups in brush piles.

As a final note, I have been looking at these videos for a week now, before i decided to show them here. In the last of the part 3 interview, he claims to have many of the top records for bass fishing at Table Rock and credits his jig design to that and also claims that many of thje top guides or top jig fisherman from that area use his jigs and won't use anything else now. That was easy enough to check on. I spent every summer of my youth at the rock in the shell knob area, My parents had a lake house there. We still have some friends that live there and fish regularly. I had dad call his old buddy there who is still a tourney regular there. Indeed he does know this guy and yes this guy is the real deal. His jigs are a heavily guarded secret there and this bud of my dads was quite ticked off to hear that he had went national with the videos that name table rock as the home of this jig. he did tell my dad that he would not use any other jig again and also, he goes through a lot less jigs now. He said you will still hang them in the rocks,if they wedge in a V shape, but not in the brush.

I would not have ever thought that i would be willing to pay 5 bucks for one single jig. Even now, I'm thinking of trying to cut brush guards off of my football heads and drill two holes for new brush guards to see if i can make all the football heads i have act similar to his desgn. However, with the limited engineering and design training i have, I completly see everything he is talking about with the angles and leverage of his cam head , hook line tie, and then the twin guards working together. I will have to buy some and if they work for me, I can test for myself the claim of going through thick brush easy. I will toss one in a tree in my yard and see if i can crawl it through the branch's. As for it hooking more fish, I will know if it always hooks them in the roof of the mouth, but only a full year will tell me if my catch rate goes up or not. So, time will tell.

Last edited by pro reel; 11-04-11 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 01:51 PM   #9
OkobojiEagle

I just recently received a couple of these jigs (3/8 oz the 1/4 oz are not available yet)... pretty nice products. The plastic weed guards are softer than many other jigs (a good thing!) and made of six fibers x2 bundles. The hook is a little smaller than many other jig hooks (again a good thing!). A couple of the skirts were punch skirts some of the skirts were rubber strands held on with a traditional rubber band collar... I don't know which skirt will be production.

They can be purchased for 3.99 ea if you wait for the distributor's web site to become active (this is different from the manufacturer's link above). If you are not the patient type PM me and I'll give you the distributor's phone# and you can contact him directly.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 02:00 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Hey Pro Reel I was sincere about liking Joe. Regarding the V-shaped weed guards...instead of trying to drill on your jig heads and moving weed guards etc try this trick I got from a club buddy years ago. it works good and doesn't require much skill of any kind....take a regular weed guard and separate the fibers into the desired v-shape and then put a small glob of 2-part epoxy in the gap at the base and fix it where it will dry in that position and tah dah!!!
Old 11-04-11, 02:02 PM   #11
joedog

Very intriguing. I've seen dual titanuim weed guards but they had a single entry point, not dual like the perfectstrike. I'd comment more but that dang monkey's calling, talk more after I place my order!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 02:15 PM   #12
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey Pro Reel I was sincere about liking Joe. Regarding the V-shaped weed guards...instead of trying to drill on your jig heads and moving weed guards etc try this trick I got from a club buddy years ago. it works good and doesn't require much skill of any kind....take a regular weed guard and separate the fibers into the desired v-shape and then put a small glob of 2-part epoxy in the gap at the base and fix it where it will dry in that position and tah dah!!!
I have never thought to use epoxy to keep them seperated, but i always fan them out and try to kink them , but they go back to the original shape after just a few casts, so i have to redo it. Do you think that the single entry will do the same as his design? I think maybe they need to be spaced further apart like his is, to get the full effect, Thats why i thought to drill 2 holes and split up a weed guard into 2 parts and then epoxy them in. That would be a lot of work, but it miht make the jigs i already own work better.
Old 11-04-11, 02:47 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

Click image for larger version

Name:	jig.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	7309

Hey Pro Reel....I been doing this for 20 years and I think it accomplishes the same thing for free...however I fully intend to buy a few of his, I mean why not??****I also usually remove 1/3 of the fibers and tend to prefer jigs with light wire hooks.

edit..when you photo a jig upside down like this it gives it a sinister scorpion type personality...very good subtle marketing...although we all know a jig never presents itself that way. The truth is it presents itself on its back with its legs up like a $10 hooker

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 11-04-11 at 02:54 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 03:20 PM   #14
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Attachment 7309

Hey Pro Reel....I been doing this for 20 years and I think it accomplishes the same thing for free...however I fully intend to buy a few of his, I mean why not??****I also usually remove 1/3 of the fibers and tend to prefer jigs with light wire hooks.

edit..when you photo a jig upside down like this it gives it a sinister scorpion type personality...very good subtle marketing...although we all know a jig never presents itself that way. The truth is it presents itself on its back with its legs up like a $10 hooker
I thought that same thing when i saw his website. It looks cool to see them posed like that, but it's not how they work. I will def try your tip, but will also try these jigs. I still have the falcon rods owners tourney every year. One of the sponsors is eakins and therefore we can only use eakins or jewel brand jigs. Those are the jigs i would wan't to customize to get the same effect.
Old 11-04-11, 05:18 PM   #15
Scott the fishman

I will probably buy some, its a pretty interesting idea but one thing i found out with jigs is using spinner bait skirts. They seem to open up more and catch more fish.
Old 11-04-11, 08:14 PM   #16
bcklash

Placed my order, Thanks Kevin
Old 11-04-11, 08:59 PM   #17
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Looks really good. I'd love to try one our four!
Old 11-04-11, 09:04 PM   #18
Tavery5

I watched his videos a few months ago. It looks like a neat idea, but then again none of the bass I ever caught had round wooden dowels for lips. The thing I kept thinking about was how would you ever know if you were catching more fish with one of these jigs. Just seems like to me once you start thinking you are then you are. The V in the weed guard is certainly no new idea, not sure of the cams on the head. I think these jigs will end up on a shelf next to my pocket fisherman.
Old 11-04-11, 09:19 PM   #19
CamG

I think that all the jigs that he is using have a vertical eye for the demonstrations. A flat eye jig is all I use, just for that reason. Don't think it has really anything to do with the split weedguard or his "cam" head.

I can't imagine having a better hookup ratio with my current jigs.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 10:50 PM   #20
pro reel

All I know for sure is that I will try them. I will test them myself to see if they crawl through brush better than the jigs I use. It will be easy to see if they also make a great swim jig. He states that they swin true, if they do, then i might like them for that. The hookup ratio is the hard part, but if they do the other stuff, and do it well, plus catch fish, especialy if i see that the fish are hooked in the roof, then i will be a believer. Otherwise, i will have a few more expensive jigs.
Old 11-04-11, 10:54 PM   #21
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post

I can't imagine having a better hookup ratio with my current jigs.
Me either.
Old 11-05-11, 08:56 AM   #22
OkobojiEagle

A weed guard on a swim jig is counter productive.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 09:54 AM   #23
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
A weed guard on a swim jig is counter productive.

oe
Now that i have to disagree with. Tony and I have been using a variety of swim jigs all year. We fish them in open water and in and around cover. We swim them over weedbeds and through grass. I would have lost every swim jig I have if they didn't have a guard on them. The best swim jigs we both agree we have used have slightly softer guards with a few less strands than traditional flipping jigs, but they still have guards. The fact that you think a weed guard is counterproductive tells me that you agree that traditional guards can cause you to miss some fish, is that your thought? If so, then you actually prove part of this guys point that the traditonal design causes jigs to flip to the side and slide out of the bass's mouth without a hookup. If his jigs work in a bass's mouth the same way they work in his contraption, then his design would not hamper the jig at all. I know that many of us have become very leary of many new ideas, because so many new ideas with baits have been nothing but BS. That doesn't mean they all are. I also understand that the basic jig has been time tested and proven to cath fish. That doesn't mean it can't be improved with a better design.
Old 11-05-11, 10:11 AM   #24
Tavery5

I agree with both of you, I think a stiff weed guard on a swim jig is not a good thing. But like Kevin said, I would not be comfortable fishing swim jigs in the method that I do without one. The jigs I prefer have a thin, soft weed guard. I feel confident in saying that if that guard is costing me fish, it is not many, as I usually have very good success with the swim jigs I use.
Old 11-05-11, 10:42 AM   #25
joedog

I have to agree with pro. I too jig thru cover and couldn't amagine not having a weed guard. Fact I even posted about getting grass even with a weed guard. That's also what intriged me on the jig. The boast of it weedless return. In fact until the whole dowl and jig thing came up I never even gave it any thought at all about whether the hook was at optimal position for best hook set. Frankly if I can hook a fish and get it all away back to the boat I really don't care if the hooks in the side of it's mouth or the upper lip. But if it means I'm missing fish or sets it's now a very big consideration. And yes I'm ordering some for personable testing. If they don't work, there's always secret santa, and I'm sure they will make a great gift! (just joking)
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.