Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 01-27-06, 08:41 AM   #1
jreaneau
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Weekly Lake Fork Report From Guide Jim Reaneau

Well, the weather is still holding warmer than usual. This will get the spawn started sooner this year if this continues. I still feel the cold will be here before we are through. I have seen too many February and March snow and ice days in the past. Just three years ago we had ice on February 26 that lasted a week and shut down I-20 if you will remember.
The fishing has been slow to very good this month. But that is winter fishing. This will hold true for February. There will be some slow fishing days so don’t get discouraged. This is a time of the year to be on the water as much as you possibably can as this will increase your chances of a fish of a life time. With the magic number 400 fish for the Share A Lunker Program still out there that is another reason to be on the lake. This fish will make a lucky fisherman a dream come true.
The big females are moving and the males are really in gear. The lipless crank bait in red has been a good starter. Spinner baits have been good on windy days around points and windy banks. Lake Fork Trophy bait and tackle Twitch worms fished wacky has been very good in the shallow water. The Zig-Zag is another good weightless bait. Work the shore and timber out to about ten foot. The Jig and Pig is a good Big Bite presentation and you may not get many bites but the ones you do may be the right bite. Work creek channels and points going into coves and pitch the stumps and every piece of wood there. I like to double skirt the jig and use a big trailer to present a big bite that is falling slow.
The Wave Tiki Stick has been good in the shallow water fished weightless. Work grass and timber and work the bait slowly with plenty of dead sticking. Let the fish swim with the bait for a ways before setting the hook to ensure they have the bait in their mouths rather than holding onto the tail.
Don’t forget your drop shot as this has been a great addition to my arsenal of fish producing tactics. It is a good deep water and shallow water presentation. Flip the drop shot around timber and stumps and just shakeing it can be deadly. You will get hung up and also broke off but you will get a lot of bites and catch some fish you may not have ever gotten a shot at.
The lake is still low but this coming rain may bring it up some if we get as much as they have mentioned. The ground is saturated from last weekend rain and this will allow some run off. The water temp is holding in the fifties. So the best advice I can give is get OFF Your BUTT and get to your favorite lake and go fishing. If you want to come to Fork Give me a call and we can set up a trip.
This year is moving along very quickly so get your spring trip setup.
Don’t Forget CPR Catch Picture Release.
Jim Reaneau
1-888-918-5088
jreaneau is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.