Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-15-08, 01:21 AM   #1
Jd4lfe
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lookin at a boat... 17ft with 20HP Merc.

Hey everyone..... i stopped by the local boat dealer and they have a nice 17ft starcraft with a 20HP merc on it.
Now when I say old I dont know how old exactly, but I think it might be late 80's ?
The boat looks to be in great condition and the motor doesnt look to beat up.... I guess why im writing this is because I dont know what to look for when purchasing a boat like this.
what kind of things should I go over with the dealership and what kind of things should I look for myself on the boat ?

The guy told me they give a 30 day warranty on used outboards... is that long enough ? do other dealers offer longer ?
what about warranty on the hull itself ?

The price for the boat is $2795 w/ trailer..... what do u think I should offer cash money ? I was thinking like $2200 ? maybe even $2000 ? I know its alot of work for a boat so cheap, but im young and money IS an issue!

Im just looking for a small boat to go fishin around some of the bays we have here... 20 HP is enough to navigate where I wanna go. I dont want to have to drop a tonne of money into it... I have a buddy who just bought a BAJA at a " good deal " and he has had it out about 6 times this year.... every one of which, has been either towed, or limped in to dock.... 2 engines and a whole lotta other crap... the boat is now suddenly not a good deal at all !!!!

any help would be GREAT guys ! thanx !
Jd4lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 06:15 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you like the boat then it would be worth further investigation. Above all else get that motor checked over. Compression test is a MUST as well as a run on the water. Just starting it on the muffs only tells ya that the thing will start. I can start a motor on muffs and show ya that it runs but when put in gear wouldnt pull a pissant. Look in all the nooks cranny's and corners. Dont overlook ANYTHING. Alot of things can be hidden and you dont want ANY surprises at all when buying a boat. If its a riveted boat a on the water test will show ya whether it's leaking or for that matter any boat.
Old 08-15-08, 12:52 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

starcraft boats are known as a transome rotter.. get in the back check way down on the bottom if the plywood is soft you'll need to replace it all...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.