Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-25-08, 07:39 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Torn on choices

Okay all, I am considering finally owning a boat. All of the lakes out here rent them daily so I have made do, but there are a few of them that only rent on weekends. I don't have this fishing thing down yet, so the bosting thing will prbably be a disaster....lol

These are the 3 I am going to look at this weekend. Just curious what you all would suggest/recommend. I will be taking a friend of a friend who works on motors, so I think I can trust his input on that side of the house.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/boa/811517453.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/809941230.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/boa/804084721.html

Thanks for any help/advice
Old 08-25-08, 07:59 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok cassidyta here is my opion. no, no , no, i like the first and last ones except for the duel consoles. now if you are gonna use the boat for family activities, then by one of them. perferably the ranger. if i were gonna get a duel console (which i wouldn't) it would be da ranger. the reason for not getting the duel consoles is haveing room to walk around ifn you hook that HUGE one they have out there. worse thing is to hook a good un and then lose it cause you are trying to navigate around the boat. just my $0.02 worth pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:25 PM   #3
cassidyta

Thanks Bama. I have to go with something that will work for the family and my fishing habit. It will be a tough sell on the bride if I can't fit us all in.
Old 08-25-08, 09:44 PM   #4
bamabassman

then go with da ranger in my opion pal.
Old 08-25-08, 10:41 PM   #5
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Ranger hands down............look at NADA first though for this model etc.
Old 08-26-08, 05:45 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Ok that Nitro is one of the Savage hulls. The best Nitro's made. Dont be afraid of it as far as holding the family and whether it fishes well of not. It does a fine job of boat and scoots pretty well. Plus has my kinda motor. The second wit a 4 stroke.........NOPE no way wont handle a 4 people family safely on bigger waters.
The ranger isone of them dern sit on top rangers I was talkin bout yesterday. When driving you sit on top not in the boat. I cant stand that. It is dual console which moma would like. If your down to those 3 It would be like this for me...........Moma only goes once in awhile and only whenits nice.......if thats the case the Nitro wins,,,,,If its Mama goes with me alot wheter or not its raining the Ranger wins.
Old 08-26-08, 10:49 AM   #7
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Single console+Wife+bug in her face=D-I-V-O-R-C-E.
While it's true that singles offer a bit more wiggle room, they can be tough on partners in cold/otherwise bad weather or when clouds of larger bugs are aswarm.
I fish from both and each has it's merits. I recommend you buy based on make (reputation for quality), condition of boat, motor, AND trailer.
Also, try to find a boat that has a motor of the maximum-rated power. This IS important whether concerning performance and economy of operation OR resale value.
Of equal importance: Have the boat, motor, AND trailer thoroughly inspected, at your expense, by QUALIFIED mechanics. Do not rely on the word of the seller or Joe Shadetree (mechanic). If the seller balks at an independent inspection...walk away, then trot, then gallop.

Boat One: Too much money for that model Nitro with eleven years on the clock, IMHO.
Boat Two: Tin boat. Wind will kick it around like a leaf when actually fishing. Narrow and tippy compared to wider glass rigs.
Boat Three: Better boat than the other two, by far, but get it inspected!

Now; Go HERE and look around.
http://www.bassboatcentral.com/boats4sale.htm
For further opinions from a wider base of boaters, go to "home", select BBC Boards, then scroll down. You'll find a forum for general bassboat topics. Further down you find forums for specific brands of boats, then another for specific brands of motors, etc.
Go slow, and good luck!

L6

Last edited by Lancer6; 08-26-08 at 10:57 AM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 11:23 AM   #8
cassidyta

Thanks for all the advice. Currently I have a 12ft aluminum boat with a 5hp motor and small trolling motor. This works for most of the lakes out here, but I can time my motions from one spot to the other with a sun dial.
I am not in a rush to go out and buy one and am more than willing to wait to find the right one.
I have discussed all of the boats with the owners and all have agreed to allow me to have a mechanic check them out and we are also putting it on the water before I would even consider buying it. Most of the lakes out here are actually reservoirs. There is a lot of discussion on forcing 4 stroke on every lake. If that happens, then it changes everything for me anyways.
Of course I am also considering getting one that needs some TLC. I do some computer/website support for a guy who does boat remodels. Now, he works primarily on yachts, but should have enough knowledge to be of value.
I believe that the love of my life will ride the boat a total of 4 or 5 times in her life, I don't see her California girl ways enjoying the boat. I hope I am wrong...lol

Based off what you guys have suggested as well as the people in one of my San Diego sites. I think I am going to wait for now and do a little more research and test rides with friends before I pull the trigger....lol
Old 08-26-08, 05:24 PM   #9
bamabassman

great thing to do there pal. ifn you ain't in a hurry, best to wait and then you may find a fantastic deal on a truly great ride. just have da money when you see it. cause if you wait after you find it, it'll be gone if you wait too long.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.