Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-24-08, 09:40 PM   #1
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trailer Tires - Bias Ply or Radial?

What type's on your trailer?
What brand?
And why?
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 10:21 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

radial, cuz they were already on it,lol. and they ride smoother...just like the truck. brand? any i can afford,lmao. no but truly radial tires cause they are a smoother riding tire in my opion. brand varies for real. i buy what i can afford.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 06:17 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

RADIAL............PERIOD for a boat tire. Less chance of failure while doing 60 down the highway. While your at it, alot of people dont and they should.................BALANCE your trailer tires. They last a helluva lot longer and make your baby happier and less likely again to fail. GoodYear marathons are the best bar none. DO NOT buy car tires and put on a trailer. They do not have the side wall construction that a trailer tire does.
Old 08-28-08, 08:44 PM   #4
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Bias ply. They were on it when I bought it. Mich more stable, especially at higher speeds. Not that my boat is really heavy enough, but I learned a long time ago with car trailers, with much weight, even the trailer radial tires don't have a stiff enough sidewall to keep a trailer from swaying when a semi goes by at 55. I will probably replace with bias ply when the time comes, and let the springs do their job. JMHO.
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 09:08 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

good year marathons. i had a bias tire shred once at around a 100 mph-i was in a hurry-by the time i got stopped i had ate the mag rim all the way to the hub..at a cost of $400 to replace...

at 60 mph no side wall will last except the marathons-trust me-they cost more but are definatly worth the money... trailer tires don't go flat they blow all at once..

zooker
Old 08-29-08, 08:14 AM   #6
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would look at the Carlisle Radial trail I run those on my boat and camper, defiantly stay away from bias tires they will get flat spots on them if your trailer sets around several weeks at a time. As for the Marothon great tire but I advise people to replace tires on trailers every 2-3 years because they go from water to hot sun all the time so chances are they will dry crack long befor they ever wear out. And lets face it tires never blow at home its always on the way to the lake when you are already 15 minutes later that you wanna be.

Happy Fishing

Jerry

Firestone/Michelin Certified Salesman
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.