Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-29-08, 12:19 PM   #1
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Another Newbe question (prop)

I Just purchesed a '73 Johnson Seahorse 6 HP. It came stock with a plastic prop and some how lasted. I would like to find a steal or aluminium to go on it to hopefully prevent future problems. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to go for small outboard props. Everywhere I seen is for bigger motors. all this is pussing is a 1244 Landeu jonboat. thanks for any advice
FlFishin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 10:28 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

plastic prop?? you mean like a comp-prop that cabelas sells?? i have a 1973 18 horse. never heard of a plastic prop coming with the moter...

ok on this plastic prop some where there is numbers what are these numbers...

the thing with a small johnny moter is if you find the size and pitch of the currant prop any prop of the same size and pitch will work the hard thing to find is a hub kit on a small prop..

now nissan makes a ton of small out boards.
the model 110 is a 6 horse moter prop..
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...368&hasJS=true

weather it will fit or not is to be desided..

zooker
Old 08-30-08, 04:25 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think your right ZOOK. Someone had to put a Compprop on there. I aint never heard of a plastic unless it was a Comp.If he can get me the serial number I feel pretty confident that I or someone could scrape up a good OEM prop.
Old 08-30-08, 12:11 PM   #4
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

I looked all over the outside of the prop and didnt see any numbers. the guy i bought the motor from said that is the original prop on the motor. Im not sayin it is but it looks and feels like plastic. Do I need to pull the prop off to find them?
Old 08-30-08, 06:31 PM   #5
zooker

yeah it is likely stamped on the hub inside..does this prop have a rubber boot on the hub or a shear pin??

zooker
Old 08-30-08, 09:55 PM   #6
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Its a shear pin style. Ill pull the prop off in a bit and see if the #s are there
Old 08-30-08, 10:21 PM   #7
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I pulled the prop off and found the #s. It has the pitch and the size which are 8 1/4x5 and another # im assuming is the part # or serial # 386587. Another question do i get new shear pins at the local hardware store or do i need to order them from johnson
Old 08-31-08, 07:30 AM   #8
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

New shear pins can be had in many places. I have used everything to get home back when I owned a shear pin motor. Ok now I know the size of the prop can you get me the serial number from the engine???? Then I can hook you up with a OEM prop instead of that Comnprop. That prop is designed to get you home ifn ya break your aluminum. Not really a good idear to use it as your primary prop. And while we are on the subject COMPRPOP does make a good prop for getting you home. I have kept one for all my boats except the one I am running now. I got all kinds of props for it. Anyways the comprop is light and wont beat up the boat like a aluminum or stainless spare will. In fact a Comprpop saved my arse in a torney many moons ago. I thought I was supposed to go left of the buoy and I was supposed to go right. That rock shoal shredded my 1 month old WORKED clever prop to shreds.
Old 08-31-08, 09:16 AM   #9
zooker

8 1/4x 5p that means the prop is 8.25 " across the blades are at 5" pitch..

shear pins you can buy at your local hardware store as long as it is the same size..

hell i have used a leatherman tool to pull a nail out of a dock cut it and use as a shear pin.. hey it got me home...

zooker
Old 09-01-08, 05:47 PM   #10
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

The model # is 6R-72D and the ser # is J3559836. Thanks for all your help guys

Chris
Old 09-04-08, 08:12 AM   #11
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

I think this is the info you guys asked for. If not let me know and I will look after work

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.