Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-03-08, 05:09 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Need for speed!?!

I'm sure that laser can help me out here, but I'm a little baffled as to what's going on....I own a 1999 Nitro Savage 896 20footer with a 200hp Merc...it has a 6" jackplate and has been adjusted to 2.5" below pad(a little low-maybe) and has a 23Pitch (yes i'm 100% sure) stainless tempest prop..I recently switched out my old giant marine batteries to lighter and more useful optima batteries (WOW! what a difference on the holeshot..INSANE!) all 3 optimas probably weigh the same as 1 of my old bats. Anyways back to the problem..I can only get 63-64MPH on the gps and some of the guys I've talked boat speed with say I should be somewhere in the low 70's..are they full of it or can I make some adjustments here to get me by...also my WOT is off the charts my RPM gauge is tackin' 7-8grand...WTF?
Old 09-03-08, 06:35 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no rev limiter on a 200 merc some one has messed with it for sure.. you should not get much over 6k before the rev limiter kicks in.-it'll sound like a miss fire-it really does sound like your blowing out. drop the moter a bit say 3.5" below pad and try it again..

a 23p prop will give you obseen hole shot but a slow top end on that boat..my buddy runs a worked 25p on a 20 foot sprint with a 200 omc. he gets about the same he also has tried a 28p renagade he hit 72gps.

the problem is with a 20 footer a 200 is really under powered on that fat a sled.this is basicly the reason i suggest you lower the moter. i think your too high for a heavy hull like the savage.

question how smooth does this boat ride at wot??

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 09-03-08 at 06:43 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 07:59 PM   #3
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jason,
I think you would be better served with a 26 pitch 4 blade on that tub. The 4 blade would give you a better hole shot, and you would not give up much on top end over a 3 blade. I would try to prop for the 5800 range if possible to save your motor!
JackL
Old 09-04-08, 06:01 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

Jason

And this comes from someone that has just setup his buddies EXACT same boat so I aint talkin probabilities I am talkin REAL LIVE EXPERIENCE. First off that prop is WAY ToO SMALL. Second no limiter on that motor and your gonna be asking me fairly soon what a certain noise is.........6250 if the limiter is dumped is MAX I would run on that motor and I can assure you if you aint pullin at the rpm you better get her set back down in the water to where she will. There is a saftey margin for all motors that is kinda like built in but not really. This is what I am saying.........Ok merc says rpm range is 5200 to 5600 on a motor. The reason they say that is YES that motor will turn way more than that a do it for a short while but SAFELY the motor will turn 5600 ALL DAY long and live a fairly siccesful life. I hope I am saying this correctly. The VERY least prop you need on there is a 25. What year bote and motor ya got. The one I just got through dialing in is a 1997 bote and motor 200 EFI 896 Savage. Flat on the transom 2 hole from bottom 25p Trophy Plus and I jump her on plane with half a tank of full and 450lbs of people and run up to 71 maybe 72 on a good day. Take out the tackle and one person 73 or 74. These are GPS SPEEDS. Personally I would snatch that 23 off real quick before you grenade your motor and get that motor back to 3" below pad. I am trying to sound firm because I dont want to get a post from you on how to rebuild your engine.

By the way the numbers I used arnt for the 200 merc. In reality if memory serves me right the limiter is supposed to kick in at 6150. Dont quoye me on that. You should as Jackl said be propping and setting that bote for max RPMS of 5800 and the 25 Trophy Plus is the prop to use unless you wanna pick up 1 or 2 more with a custom prop. That is a heavy boat but it also is the BEST nitro built ever in my opinion. I DO LIKE them but they are heavy.
Old 09-04-08, 10:45 AM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I took it back out yesterday and dropped it down an inch and it's even quicker on the hole-shot and won't tack much over 6500 at WOT, I've been cautious ever since I had it shoot up over 7grand..I also think my RPM gauge may be a little wacky, sitting at idle it will occasionally jump like crazy, but the engine doesn't sound any different, I will try to pick up a 25P prop, just don't have the $$ right now. Thanks for all your input, much appreciated!
Old 09-07-08, 10:50 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Jason

Was looking around and lurking and found this and thought of you. This is the other prop that my buddy has that he uses on his boat which like I said is EXACTLY the same as yours. He runs the Tempest during the summer because the engine spools up easier henceforth he has a better holeshot. When the weather and water starts to cool down on goes the Trophy plus. And like I said before the pitch and rpms are exactly where they need to be with these props. Trimmed out and running hell bent for leather he can hit 5825 on his best days and the motor is still pulling at this rpm. In otherwords if he turned any more rpms he isnt gonna gain anyting because the boat prop and motor are maxed out. Here is the link bud.....

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...t_Trade#UNREAD

Lemme know ifn ya want me to keep my eyes open for a Trophy plus. I look almost everyday and can usually find real good deals for em.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.