Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-09-11, 01:43 PM   #26
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Oh yeah, there are large buffets at the state park restaurant on friday and saturday. Saturday night is crab legs, which I remember as being really good 15 years ago...might want to have a fish fry on Friday instead...

http://www.alapark.com/JoeWheeler/%20Restaurant/
Old 01-09-11, 02:23 PM   #27
bamabassman

ok boogieman............date IS SET FOR MAY 19,20,21 if oyu want to come early, your decision folks. me........i will most likely be there on the 18th. gonna book me a cabin for me and the BOSS, haha. if there aren't any more ladies attending, then she said she may not attend. but that is ok too. i think we can manage without lisa this time. now i know i ain't gonna land any fish if she ain't there, haha, but i will be ok. i am asking a cousin of mine who's husband i went to school with and fishes wheeler ALOT to attend. and i am trying to find a guide or lake pro who would be willing to give us a littel seminar on what to use and where to look for the BIGGUNS. so be patient with me on this ok? if all goes to plan, we should be in HIGH COTTON by event time. i am wanting the seminar to be on thrusday night, that way we will have a goal on where we want to fish and so forth.
billy, when lisa and i went last year we ate at the lodge rest. it was ok, not bad, but not totatly awesum either. but we had lunch only and so it may not have been their best buffet ya know. i'll try to hit it before the event and check it out again. things change year to year at the states lodges. different cooks come and go and so that is why i am saying that. if everyone doesn't moind i would still rather have the fish fry on the last night. tradition you understand.
so lets get the commits on board folks.
Old 01-09-11, 02:52 PM   #28
WTL

Don't mind at all. I am going on a memory of a meal I had when I was like 12. Been meaning to hit the buffet up again since then, but I will one of these days.
Old 01-09-11, 02:53 PM   #29
nofearengineer

I think I am going to call and book a cabin from the 15th to the 20th, and leave on the 21st.

I'm hoping to maybe hit Tim's Ford, Pickwick, and Guntersville Sunday through Wednesday, and do Wheeler Thurs-Sat, if Boogie or WTL want to chime in on the itinerary. Still flexible, just trying to fit in time with as many friends as possible.
Old 01-09-11, 02:59 PM   #30
bamabassman

i just tried to book a cabin. NONE LEFT!! we may have to re-think this gang. maybe try the lodge? or maybe a get some rooms or the big dorm ? i am SO pissed right now.
Old 01-09-11, 03:00 PM   #31
nofearengineer

Here is the website for the cabins:

http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/Cabins/

Their rates:

• 4 Capacity Wood Cabin - $65 $70
  • 6 Capacity Wood Cabin - $75 $80
  • 4 Capacity Brick Cabin - $75 $80
  • 6 Capacity Brick Cabin - $85 $90
  • 8 Capacity Brick Cabin - $95 $100
  • 15 Capacity Cabin - $170 $175
All pricing plus 8% lodging tax
Prices Subject To Change Without Notice
$10.00 per person above capacity of cabin - limit is 2 above capacity
Rollaways available for $10.00 a night.
Old 01-09-11, 03:00 PM   #32
nofearengineer

LOL.....well, screw that.

I notice the group lodge is

1-Night $400/per night
3-Night $350/per night
Weekly $1800/per week

up to 30 people. It wouldn't take too many people to make that a good deal.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 01-09-11 at 03:07 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 03:18 PM   #33
bamabassman

i jsut tried the group lodge too gang. NO vacanices. i can't believe the entire park would be booked up already. could it be a glich i wonder? i tried the resort lodge, cabins, group lodge, and the little houses. nothing!!! i am at a stand still and sorta panicking.
Old 01-09-11, 03:29 PM   #34
WTL

The group lodge is on the elk river. Don't really want that. Elk is good, but fewer smallmouth...

Why not think about moving it back to 1st week of june?

Doublehead resort also has cabins but they are incredibly expensive. Its on wilson 5 miles or so from the cabins.

I think mississipi has a state park on pickwick lake not far from waterloo....trying to think here...

Chances are also good that we have a cancellation. You get 1 or 2 cancellations of larger cabins, and we could fit the entire group in.

Haha theres an econo lodge in rogersville with trailer parking...a single room is $42 a night...

Last edited by WTL; 01-09-11 at 03:36 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 03:47 PM   #35
nofearengineer

They appear to have cabins available the first week of June.
Old 01-09-11, 03:52 PM   #36
WTL

I wonder if there aint a tournament or something the week of the 20th. They do book quickly, but normally I've been able to squeeze in a month or two before.

There are a few options around pickwick dam, but thats mississippi, tennessee, ect. Kinda out there.

June is a good time of year if yall can do it...its just a little warm, and there would be nightfishing. The weather should be pretty constant too, not a month know for rain or fronts.

JP Coleman state park in the corner of alabama (the park is in mississippi) has cabins available for $75. That is on Pickwick lake, middle of the lake.

There also appears to be houses for rent on wilson. I'm going to compile a list for yall, this might be something...

Last edited by WTL; 01-09-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 04:19 PM   #37
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Wish I could make it fellas. I head out May 17th and come back home June 16th. Maybe we can get a little gather in the fall or something if some people are up for it in TN, KY, or MO.
Old 01-09-11, 04:46 PM   #38
nobass

keith my boat i always open for a rider you are more than welcomer to fih with me
Old 01-09-11, 04:58 PM   #39
WTL

Houses for rent on wilson lake;
Bluewater creek sleeps up to 9 (right near the dam, a great location, located about .1 mile from where I got my personal best smallmouth, I even recognize the dock)http://www.vrbo.com/237779 $150 a night
Town creek? Another good area, within 3 miles of the dam. http://www.vrbo.com/253475
Town creek, sleeps 6-10. http://www.vrbo.com/283040

Lots of rentals on Pickwick..http://www.pickwick-vacation-rentals...ings-pvrpa.htm

How many are we expecting? 15? 10?

Look at this one, sleeps 14-16, Wilson lake near wilson dam, pickwick and florence...http://www.vrbo.com/291230 $295 a night. 16 person max. Lake front. Hell of a locale. 3 night min.

Last edited by WTL; 01-09-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 07:00 PM   #40
bassboogieman

Unhappy

State Park is NO VACANCY?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:01 PM   #41
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I've heard that, never made it quite that far...Tims Ford is closer but i might try normandy. I once fished the duck further on down at the state park near 65, and caught a few spots as I recall. Thanks for the tip.

Does Normandy have Brown trout? I heard they are putting more rainbows than browns below Tims Ford.

theres very few browns at either location...but the rainbow fishing is good at both spots...probally a little better at normandy.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:09 PM   #42
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ALRIGHT!!! LOOKS LIKE OL BILLY IS GONNA BE MY GO-TO MAN ON SLEEPING QUARTERS. yes billy you just got drafted my friend, lol. after all you know more about the lakes and accomadations than i do at this point. wanna host with me and lisa? lol. and i was thinking of the dates of MAY 19TH,20,21. I COUNTED THAT AS THE 3RD WEEKEND, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION FOLKS.cabins, lodge, the big dorm............doesn't matter one bit to me. this is why i made the thread. but i AM LIKING THE CABIN DEAL MYSELF. folks can pitch tents nearby too. at least i hope we can. will have to check that out. make sure it is ok with the park folks.
billy, i hope oyu don't mind really. i need you on this one pal. i ma on the old computer still and have limited internet. this thang is slower than you know what. haha.

so anyway. let's get a head count if we can. so far we have, me and the BOSS,aka; mrs bamabassman, wtl, bigbassin144 and kingfisher, bassboogieman (you going to bring a friend or your wife?), nofearengineer,nobass. im good are oyu planning on attending?
i know keithdog is planning on coming. texted with daniel....and there is a issue with him right now, and i understand daniel.

now i want to make it CLEAR gang.........i want to include everyones better half and their children IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. as i have said from the beginning, i want this to become a FAMILY event. not just a bunch of guys ok? so please ask oyur wives and kids to come along too. NOT A REQUIREMENT, JUST A PLEA OK? we can turn this into a HUGE event gang.who knows, it may become a week long thing over time. at kentucky we had 3 wives attend, lisa LOVED IT. she had some ladies to talk to and had a fantastic time. i think the other wives did too. they have become sisters really. there are other things for the ladies to do besides watch us guys ya know, hahaha.

ok, back on track. lets do some more talking and so forth. do ya'll like what is on the floor as of now?

p.s. took me 30 minutes to get this posted with this old arse computer. so forgive me on being slow ok?

I havent got my new work schedule yet so at this very moment im not sure, but i should know somethin this week. Im off every other weekend and if this falls on my off weekend im there.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 09:58 PM   #43
bamabassman

ok gang, billy has got us some VERY NICE places. i am willing ot do this if ya'll are. otherwise we are gonna be in some trouble,lol. this may be our best bet. we will need to get a couple really close though. i am expecting 20 plus. ya'll read right..........TWENTY PLUS!!! OK!?!? hahaha, yes i want a huge one.

billy see when we would have to reserve it and so forth if you don't mind buddy. thank you man. you just might have saved this event. i was looking at maybe moving it to g'ville. see, i can't get off in june WHATSOEVER i was told. i only have the 3 weekends in may to choose from. just the way my boss is folks. no hard feelings ok? if we can't make it happen on this date, we will have to wait till the end of summer. and i really don't want to do that ya know.
Old 01-09-11, 10:22 PM   #44
WTL

We just need to see who is still in, if the house idea will float so to speak... Who is ok with the idea of basically getting 1 or 2 really big, probably a little too comfy houses?

Now location is very important, so here is a little map to give yall an idea.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=34....wn%20creek____
What I liked about the state park cabins was they offered you either wheeler or wilson lake, which meant either a tailwater or the other side of the dam which is deep lake. You get the same thing on the other end of wilson lake with wilson dam, it is very deep in the lake on one side and the tailwater is shallow and rocky with big smallmouth on the other side.

I found rental cabins at Bluewater and Town creeks, and the 3rd option is somewhere on wilson near wilson dam, perhaps shoal creek - not sure yet. I have never fished on the right side of wilson dam, but know the wilson dam tailwater pretty well, as far as I know either gives us a good location. This is all smallmouth country.

The bluewater cabin might sleep around 9 or so. There is a required deposit of like $500, so we have to be pretty certain we are all in. Its a terrific location on the lower end of the creek, just a great place.

The town creek cabins are both I think built as part of doublehead resort, which is on the south end of the creek. This is a shallower part of the lake with weeds, but known as a pretty decent area. Maybe a 5 mile drive to the tailwater by boat.

The other house just might sleep everyone...they say 16 max on their webpage. I will sleep in the boathouse or outside, so I dont count towards a bed...Its a very nice house, with a big double decker boathouse...and is advertised as being on wilson lake 10 minutes from florence so it must be towards the dam, it looks from a pic to be either in a slough or shoal creek.

Of course we always can try and wait for cancellations. John, you didn't ask if JW state park had waitings lists, did you? Or we can rent one of these places, and put another group in a close hotel and use the house as a staging location...lots of things we can do that we should discuss with haste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmb.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	6117  

Last edited by WTL; 01-09-11 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 10:25 PM   #45
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
keith my boat i always open for a rider you are more than welcomer to fih with me
Thankyou buddy. Much appreciated!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 10:48 PM   #46
nofearengineer

Billy, I'm in for whatever......even if it's in a van, down by the river.
Old 01-09-11, 11:51 PM   #47
bamabassman

ok it sounds good billy. just got 1 question. anyone bringing a FEMALE with them? like i said, if not, lisa ain't gonna attend. just saying.

also what about fishermans resort. is that a resort? i'll google it and see what i find out.

ok it is jsut a campground. no living facilities. campers and tents only.
Old 01-10-11, 12:52 AM   #48
bassboogieman

Has anyone called the Park? I went to the website and all you could reserve were rooms in the Lodge and of course no rooms were available for "our week".
Website said: FOR OTHER ACCOMADATIONS PLEASE CALL.
I called earlier tonight, course no answer, Sunday
I'm going to call the Park tomorrow morning just to be certain NO cabins are available for the week we want. I never fully trust those internet reservation thingies, and I really expect to hear they are booked, but I'll get back on here tomorrow if I can get ahold of a real, live person.
I also checked G'ville State Parik and the do not have anything available for this week either. No cabins, no chalets, this doesn't seem possible.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-10-11 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-10-11, 01:16 AM   #49
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Has anyone called the Park? I went to the website and all you could reserve were rooms in the Lodge and of course no rooms were available for "our week".
Website said: FOR OTHER ACCOMADATIONS PLEASE CALL.
I called earlier tonight, course no answer, Sunday
I'm going to call the Park tomorrow morning just to be certain NO cabins are available for the week we want. I never fully trust those internet reservation thingies, and I really expect to hear they are booked, but I'll get back on here tomorrow if I can get ahold of a real, live person.
I also checked G'ville State Parik and the do not have anything available for this week either. No cabins, no chalets, this doesn't seem possible.

Please tell me yall arent counting on a alabama state governmental operation to be competent in the use of the internet? I assumed yall called...
Old 01-10-11, 10:36 AM   #50
bassboogieman

ASSUMED? Us Nofor's do ALMOST everything by internet now.

What time does y'all roll outta bed in the morning and go to work? I just called and the lady that does the reservations isn't in yet. Seems they also have about 7" of snow on the ground? ALABAMA GETS SNOW? Anyway, the nice lady I did get to speak to confirmed that ONLY LODGE RESERVATIONS can be done on line at this time. There may still be hope. I am expecting a call a little later about reservations.
I told her we needed mixed accomations (dates, some may want cabins some cottages) for between 18 and 22 people.

Cabins sleep up to 6
NEW cottages both 2 & 3 bedrooms (2bath) & more expensive than cabins.
Elk River may also be available.

I get back to y'all after I hear.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.