Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-12, 01:24 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default making own flippin jigs

hey, i was looking close at my jigs this morning, they are just a lead head and a little band hold on the skirt, and some had rattles, soo is that easy to make, go to bps get some weedless heads with or W/O rattles and push it on the hook and clip the excess around the head, Yea yea.. someones gonna tell me no chit.. but just wanted to know, amber wants us to have a couple hobby, so why not this. i am sure there are descent quality hooks if you get the right head... no pun
Old 03-23-12, 02:16 PM   #2
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah making jigs is something that you can do fairly easily if you want to take the time. You can get the lead head or get the mold, lead pot, and fluid bed to do everything yourself. But be aware it's addicting lol. It is a good time learning and very rewarding catching something off of a bait you 100% made yourself
Matt
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 02:51 PM   #3
wallywallace

cool, family going to concord tomor, may wonder into bps
Old 03-25-12, 11:24 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Don't buy from BPS. Their luring building stuff is WAY overpriced.

I've been making my own jigs for a few years and it is a fun hobby and just addicting as buying other fishing stuff.

The thing I really like is that you can make what you want, and get great quality (as long as you put the time and effort into making a quality lure).

I make my jigs from start to finish myself. From pouring on my favorite Owner Cutting Point hooks to powder coating and curing, so making and tying my own skirts.

If you've got any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I know there's also some other guys on here who do/have made their own lures.

BB
Old 03-25-12, 04:09 PM   #5
wallywallace

hey big bassin,thanks, so agan though if i buy the weedless heads and skirts, thats all i do right, jus cut em around the head, again i know that sounds dumb, but i assume thats all you do right
Old 03-25-12, 11:01 PM   #6
BigBassin144

If you're buying pre-made heads and pre-made skirts, all you should have to do is push the skirt on the jig.

If you're making the skirts yourself from skirt material, make the skirts, cut the ends of the skirt material off, then put it on the jig.

BB
Old 03-26-12, 07:11 AM   #7
wallywallace

thats was probably the dumbest question on the net at the moment, thanks
Old 03-26-12, 06:27 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
thats was probably the dumbest question on the net at the moment, thanks
That's not a dumb question at all. I owned a jig company for quite a while up until our son got old enough to require more time from daddy, then we closed it up for a while. I am sure that BigBassin is just like I was and is always tinkering with different ways to trim skirts. You can just put the skirts on and fish them, but I recommend playing around with different ways of trimming the skirts to get different looks.
Old 03-26-12, 09:45 PM   #9
wallywallace

thanks, i didnt get any, but next time i will pick some up, looking foward and so is little woman
Old 04-04-12, 04:48 PM   #10
backwater
BassFishin.Com Member

Lure Parts Online or FishingSkirts.com all you need to make your own jigs.
backwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 05:32 PM   #11
wallywallace

thanks, i have made 4, nothing specia in style but fun, i can see how this gets addictive
Old 04-07-12, 11:27 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
thanks, i have made 4, nothing specia in style but fun, i can see how this gets addictive
It can definitely be addicting. And if you get into making them from start to finish on your own, you can make them as simple or as fancy as you want.

Here's some that I've made. All the jigs I use myself are poured on Owner Cutting Point hooks. They are one of the more expensive hooks, but they are great. And it's something you can't find on the shelf at BPS. Then I powder coat mine, with 1, 2, or even 3 different colors. I finished them off with a 60 strand silicone skirt that can include up to 6 different colors. Some I hand tie, some I don't. But doing it yourself gives you that option.

Elite Series Football Jigs by PhotoRebel4, on Flickr

So, the possibilities are endless. Just be careful... This can get expensive fast.

BB
Old 04-09-12, 07:34 AM   #13
wallywallace

those are nice
Old 04-09-12, 09:19 PM   #14
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

144 those look great man. Really well done sir
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 07:05 AM   #15
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

144 I wish I had the Photography skills as you, I'd love to display my Jigs that well.

On another note, there's just nothing like catching fish on a lure that you made from scratch. I love the fact that I start with just a simple hook and slowly build it into a Bass Catching machine!
Old 04-10-12, 07:50 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
those are nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3mckee View Post
144 those look great man. Really well done sir
Thanks guys! It's taken a couple years of trial and error to get them looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
144 I wish I had the Photography skills as you, I'd love to display my Jigs that well.

On another note, there's just nothing like catching fish on a lure that you made from scratch. I love the fact that I start with just a simple hook and slowly build it into a Bass Catching machine!

Thanks Mumpy. And you're definitely right about catching fish on your own lures. Knowing me, I'd still be buying jigs off the shelf trying to find one I really like if I hadn't started making my own.

BB
Old 04-10-12, 10:40 AM   #17
Mumpy

Short story about this weekend...

This past Sunday (Easter) I took my son-in-law out on my new Boat for some Bass Fishing. Can't remember what he was casting, but I was casting one of my White Swimming Jigs. A couple of years ago when I was selling Jigs I started making these White Swimming Jigs and I just started catching everything in the lake on them.

Crappie, Bass, White Bass, Stripers, Bowfin and I even caught a Grass Pike on them. So I'm fishing with my White Swimming Jig and I catch this 6# Hybrid, so William ties on a White Swimming jig so fast it would have made your head spin.

So after I get the Hybrid in, I say, dang, I think I've caught every freshwater species that resides in this river on these Jigs. Then I'm like, no, wait, I don't think I've ever caught a Catfish on one.

About an hour later, he throws up on this shelf we could see coming from the bank and when the Jig fell off the shelf he caught a 5# Channel Cat!

So, NOW I think I've caught every freshwater species on my Swimming Jigs that resides in the Chattahoochee River.
Old 04-12-12, 07:20 AM   #18
Mumpy

*sigh* So after us posting in this thread I went and purchased another order of supplies for a round of Swimming Jigs. I guess I'll be cranking out about 50 of em next week, haha.

I'll post pics of the finished product. I picked up some good looking paint and some different looking skirts. Should be some good looking Jigs.
Old 04-13-12, 10:04 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
*sigh* So after us posting in this thread I went and purchased another order of supplies for a round of Swimming Jigs. I guess I'll be cranking out about 50 of em next week, haha.

I'll post pics of the finished product. I picked up some good looking paint and some different looking skirts. Should be some good looking Jigs.
Can't wait to see them when they're done. Right now, I think I've got nearly 400 hooks sitting on my work bench, but no time to pour.

BB
Old 04-15-12, 10:44 PM   #20
Mumpy

Well, the Skirts and Powder came on Friday so I was able to knock out a bunch of em over the weekend but without the eyes, hehe. I'll post pics when the eyes come in. They look pretty damn good, if I do say so myself!
Old 04-16-12, 09:46 AM   #21
Mumpy

Here's a Pic I took Friday night, I'll post a picture of the ones I made this weekend after the eyes come in.

Last edited by Mumpy; 04-16-12 at 09:52 AM.
Mumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 12:23 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Nice looking Sexy Shad pattern!

BB
Old 04-16-12, 01:13 PM   #23
Mumpy

Ok, so I tried to do a little Two Toning at Lunch time. I'll get better at it after a few more attempts. Here is a picture of the very FIRST Two Tone head I've ever painted, lol.

I'm thinking this head on this Bleeding Shad pattern might trigger a strike or two.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.