Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-23-12, 10:41 PM   #1
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New guy with a reel question

Stopped by after seeing some of Kevin's videos. Looks like a lot of great info. Wanted to say Hi and see if anybody had some insight into a problem I had over the weekend. I was fishing as a co-angler in my first bass tournament, cant wait for the next one, and started having issues with my curado's. I went to set the hook on a fish and the spool just spun like the drag was being pulled out, same sound, but on the hookset. Anybody know what the issue might be or how to fix it. Happened twice and im pretty sure it cost me a couple of fish in the process. Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. After seeing the boats/ gear in this tournament I can now say the bait/ boat monkey is riding me like no other.
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 10:44 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the best advise i can give oyu buddy is to send it to PRO REEL. he'll fix whatever is wrong and get it right as rain for you.

and welcome to the best site on the world wide web.
Old 04-24-12, 03:35 AM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Did you have braid spooled on and if so, did you use a backing? Without a backing of tape or line, the braid will spin around the spool as you described.

If you were not using braid, then perhaps the drag was set too loose.

If not any of the above, it's time for Pro Reel to step in.
Old 04-24-12, 06:43 AM   #4
kennethdaysale

^^^^my money's on braid^^^^
Old 04-24-12, 07:05 AM   #5
lilmule

Yup,place a small amount of mono on to cover the spool then tie the braid to it,Curado would have to be worn out prior to slipping normally.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 07:22 AM   #6
MIbasser

Okay, I'll ask it. How tight was your drag? Something I do before I go fishing is pull on the line to check the drag. Sometimes if the reel has been sitting for awhile the drag will feel tight, but will actually be loose. And (this is just me personally) my drag is set very tight on both casting and spinning reels.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 08:28 AM   #7
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Spooled with 17 pound trilene xl. The drag was locked down fairly tight because i had caught 2 fish prior to the slip. It was weird how it was all of a sudden and i couldnt reproduce it. Thought it might be an isolated incident, but it happened twice and cost me at least one fish.
Old 04-24-12, 04:40 PM   #8
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like time to have someone knowledgable take a look at it, if you are sure the drag was set where you wanted it.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 05:19 PM   #9
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Your pinion gear slipped off the engagment pin on the spool shaft. You need a new pinion gear and probably a new engagment pin.With it only happening twice, it's posible that it could be repaired by filing the rounded edges off, but that would just be temporary.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 05:36 PM   #10
islandbass

Dang, Z!!!! I was hoping it was a braid thing because there wasn't going to be a mechanical fix. Pro Reel is the man.

Q for Pro Reel - What would cause the pinion gear to slip off the engagement pin and is it a common or rare occurrence? Thanks!
Old 04-24-12, 07:44 PM   #11
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Dang, Z!!!! I was hoping it was a braid thing because there wasn't going to be a mechanical fix. Pro Reel is the man.

Q for Pro Reel - What would cause the pinion gear to slip off the engagement pin and is it a common or rare occurrence? Thanks!
It's not super common, until the reel gets some wear on it. A week pinion spring can start it. Also, a big cause can be if you constantly run to much spool tension on the cast cap. That causes a deep dimple to form in the tension disk in the sideplate which then causes the spool to sit off center to the left and then the engagment pin is just barely catching the tip of the slot in the pinion gear. Once that starts, it's just a matter of time until it rounds off the corner and skips out, putting your reel in free spin. You will hear a clickety noise when it happens.
Old 04-24-12, 10:27 PM   #12
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

That makes sense. I do have one question for ya pr. I have had my curados for one season and run a pretty loose set up, minus having the drag locked down fairly tight. Could it have been messed up from the factory or is this a problem with my set-up or use?
Old 04-25-12, 06:10 PM   #13
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHerman330 View Post
That makes sense. I do have one question for ya pr. I have had my curados for one season and run a pretty loose set up, minus having the drag locked down fairly tight. Could it have been messed up from the factory or is this a problem with my set-up or use?
Impossible to tell for sure, but it should not be doing that this soon, so i would guess that maybe there was a defect.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.