Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-12, 11:40 AM   #1
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Drop-Shot questions

Used dropshot for the first time yesterday at a very small, somewhat clear, highly pressured public lake, and was able to pull a tiny .5lber in.

Now I've got a few questions regarding dropshot.

Can you use mono? I used mono for my catch last night (12lb Sufix elite), which might be enough to convince someone that mono can work... however since it's such a weird little lake, I don't want to have confidence in it just yet.

Size of bait? Specifically... can I use a 5" Senko or other 5" stick bait? I've read about people using short Senkos wacky rigged, but can they be nose hooked?

Can I weedless/Texas rig the 5" stick baits, using a EWG hook? What size hook should I use if I can do this? Will 3/0 work?
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 11:51 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are no rules in fishing, you can do anything you want. Sometimes the best baits and techniques are the one's that are a little off the beaten path. Experiment and find out for yourself what works and what doesn't, don't rely on a bunch of strangers on the internet to decide how you fish.
Old 04-25-12, 12:01 PM   #3
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
There are no rules in fishing, you can do anything you want. Sometimes the best baits and techniques are the one's that are a little off the beaten path. Experiment and find out for yourself what works and what doesn't, don't rely on a bunch of strangers on the internet to decide how you fish.
I'm really looking for technical information from anglers who have had experience with this, and who have tried it already.

It's not a matter of personal preference... if mono spooks fish because it's too visible, I want to know.

If fish don't take in a whole 5" stick bait, or EWG hooks (T-rigged) just don't set right in this presentation... I want to know.

If there are things that are proven not to work, I want to hear it before I waste a fishing trip trying something that'll never work anyway. Your advice is valid though, and I appreciate it.
Old 04-25-12, 12:08 PM   #4
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

Deverez,

I picked up dropshotting a little bit more last year, but don't know everything about it by any means. I also understand it is different out on the west coast than it is here in TN. When I do I have mono with a floro liter on the end, 8lb Mccoy Floro to be exact is whats on mine. I'm however not worried about fish seeing my line becasue I no longer think they care and I think that line companies got us all becasue look at what they are hitting with the Rig, that thing looks like it should be under a car not catching fish lol "stole that from one of my customers so craig if you read this i'm giving you this line lol". Now I know on the west coast with the clearer lakes people say it is more of an issue but here in TN I don't believe it to be one. Also I drop shotted a ol monster nose hooked last year with a 3/0 Gami and caught fish, so I don't think you have to buy into the 1 or 1/o hooks only, you can use what your comfortable with. If they are wanting that bigger profile give it to them. Thats what I got lol like I said though just started dropshotting last year. Have a good one.

Matt
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 12:10 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverez View Post
I'm really looking for technical information from anglers who have had experience with this, and who have tried it already.

It's not a matter of personal preference... if mono spooks fish because it's too visible, I want to know.

If fish don't take in a whole 5" stick bait, or EWG hooks (T-rigged) just don't set right in this presentation... I want to know.

If there are things that are proven not to work, I want to hear it before I waste a fishing trip trying something that'll never work anyway. Your advice is valid though, and I appreciate it.
Fair enough. I only said what I said because a lot of people try to make it more difficult than it needs to be. Some people put way too much stock into what the pro's are doing or what some knucklehead on the internet says.

I'm not the biggest drop shot fisherman so I will let some of the other guys help you out with your questions. Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of really good fisherman here, we are glad to have you.
Old 04-25-12, 12:13 PM   #6
bassboogieman

flurocarbon is not necessary, it may be an advantage to use it in gin clear water or if you're fishing it vertical in deeper water 20' where it's low stretch will improve the feel and hook setting in deeper water. You can also work it horzontally, I do that when fishing a sloping bank or drop off. Braid will also help with the sensitivity issue along with a 5' flurocarbon leader.

Baits - you can fish a lot of various plastics, while I prefer "finesse" style baits like 4" cut tail or straight tail worms, small grubs and baby brush hogs can also be productive. Personally I do not rig plastics that I would normally fish T-rigged on a worm hook or EWG. I stay with the small hook and small bait presentation. Hooks - a #2 octopus, mosquito, even a circle hook works. Nose hook the baits only.

There are alos "specialty" drop shot hooks, like the new VMC swivel hook, and there is another, I forget the brand (Diachi, maybe) that has a bend in it to make the hook stand out straight from the line. I just bought some of the VMC but haven't tried them yet. They may help prevent line twist, which can be a problem with the drop shot set up.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-25-12 at 01:14 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 12:38 PM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you're going to use fluorocarbon, use it for a real reason. It is less refractive than monofilament, making it less visible. That is a good reason to use it. The additional density responsible for the reduction in refractivity also makes it transmit vibrations slightly better than monofilament (if you keep your line taut).

But let us please, once and for all, abandon the whole "low stretch" thing about fluorocarbon. I even heard Kevin Van Dam say it the other day. It is not true, and has been proven to not be true.

I use fluorocarbon, so this is not an indictment of the stuff. Merely an attempt to stifle the marketing hype.
Old 04-25-12, 01:28 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Possiblly "low stretch" is a misnomer, probalby "less stretch than mono" is more accurate.

In comparison to mono, after using it, I think f/c does stretch less. Mono absorbs water and tends to stretch fairly easily once wet. F/c does not absorb water and while it will stretch it's not as easy to do so when compared to mono. Most if not all the tests I've read - and I am not a scholar on the issue by any means - compared the "stretch" characteristics of both when dry, I don't remember reading any where the comparison was done when wet, which would be more appropriate as fishing line is usually wet when in use - except on a certain Rajun Cajun.

I'm not a fan of f/c myself, and to abuse a phrase: I don't use flurocarbon often, but when I do.......... I've gotten the sense that the line does not stretch like mono does. That may be a misconception, but the line provides a good hook set with a quick reaction to the movement of the rod, especially on the hookset.

I am a user of co-poly line, and it will also stretch, but in my use not near as easily as mono. More similiar to f/c in the stretch department, in my opinion per my usage. The most notable test for me is when I get a lure hung up. With mono you can feel the line stretching when you pull on a well hung lure (leave that one alone), not nearly as noticable when pulling a lure tied to co-poly or f/c, but comparted to braid, yep it stetches.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 04:22 PM   #9
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I can't say much more than that which has already been said, but I will attempt to add a couple of points.

My technique is I use what has worked in the past for others. I spent years back in the early 90's using boat loads of lures that didn't work. I swore I'd never do that again and with that said, here is my take on it.

Fluorocarbon - Is it a Must? No, Should you use it when you Drop Shot? Yes. It is being used by thousands of Drop Shot fishermen for a reason. Hell, I don't even need to know the reason, if it's working for thousands and thousands of people, it'll work for me.

So that basically goes for the rest of the set up, I mean, thousands are using the 1/0 Finesse Hooks. I have recently went with the new Drop Shot hook that has the swivel to prevent line twists. I'll never use another hook for Drop Shot. That is by far the best out there.

As for what bait to use, I like the Roboworms, the action these things make are amazing!

Good Luck in your drop shot fishing, I too hope to get better this year.
Old 04-25-12, 05:00 PM   #10
Dave63

I used it all last year. As a matter of fact, one of the rods I rigged up for the kids had fluorescent Stren on it. The lake we fished we could see down 10-12 feet and we caught tons of fish up to 4lbs. This year I've switched to flouro, because it's more sensitive and sinks better. I use 4" Robo worms and Zoom finesse worms.

Here's one:
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...1110943-00.jpg
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 06:18 PM   #11
kiddelicious
BassFishin.Com Member

what you should realize is that even though you saw a pro do it in some video or tournament, they are doing it based on the conditions on that lake or river system so your methodology should be to approach it in the same way. if you can catch fish on a senko where you fish, then yes, you will be able to catch them on a drop shot rig if you present them correctly. i personally use braid with a long fluoro leader when drop shotting and can feel every tick (i also use very nice rods/reels) Can you do the same with mono? Of course. Don't let the "fish see the line" get you. your bait is stuck to a shiny nickle/black hook that the fish usually hit over the bottom of the bait so i wouldn't worry too much about it. my favorite baits are zoom finesse worms and roboworms but my goto bait is something i made myself. i ran out of finnesse worms one day and casting a drop shot to a point was just hammering them. i took a berkley 10" power worm and but the whole body off leaving just enough "bulk" to nose hook it. i caught/have caught more fish with this magical jewel than any other drop shot bait. try it once and watch the action in the water. it's unreal if you use a leader to keep it very close to the bottom. looks exactly like a leech.

you can use ewg hooks but i wouldn't go very big maybe a 2 at the most. the larger hook will hinder the action unless you just want it laying there.

just rig these ideas you have up and pitch them close to shore or under your boat in shallow water to see what action/fall rate they give off.
kiddelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 06:19 PM   #12
kiddelicious
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
I used it all last year. As a matter of fact, one of the rods I rigged up for the kids had fluorescent Stren on it. The lake we fished we could see down 10-12 feet and we caught tons of fish up to 4lbs. This year I've switched to flouro, because it's more sensitive and sinks better. I use 4" Robo worms and Zoom finesse worms.

Here's one:
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...1110943-00.jpg
junebug is my favorite zoom color! nice fish.
Old 04-25-12, 06:49 PM   #13
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

If your not using 4 lb fluro and a 4" worm you will never catch fish on a DS!
Old 04-25-12, 08:12 PM   #14
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
If your not using 4 lb fluro and a 4" worm you will never catch fish on a DS!

Okay Aaron Martens!
Old 04-26-12, 12:53 PM   #15
Mumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddelicious View Post
i personally use braid with a long fluoro leader when drop shotting and can feel every tick
I'm going to do this vs my Current set up of the entire spool of Flouro and a perfect time for me to do so. I'm heading to Apalachiacola tomorrow to do some Sheepshead fishing and I changed all my reels out with Braid.

Kid, what knot do you use to attach the Braid to the Flouro?
Old 04-26-12, 01:03 PM   #16
islandbass

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverez View Post

JRob's advice is actually spot on in an overall, encompassing way. I think he was trying to tell you that there are no constraints in fishing except those that we impose on ourselves.

The Drop Shot quintessentially is a rigging method. Simply stated, the hook/bait is placed a certain distance above the weight. Think of it as the 180 degree opposite of a Carolina rig, where the hook/bait and weight have switched places --- in terms of where these two items are located on the line.

His advice is spot on, but as a newbie, it might be hard to see. The drop shot rig is not limited to being a "finesse" or light line technique exclusively. I won't hesitate to plop a drop shot rig into a hole in the lily pads. I just have to make sure my gear is appropriate for the cover.

You can now see that the Drop Shot need not be constrained to light weight and finesse techniques exclusively. As a consequence, neither is the size of the bait, nor its shape. If you want to use a 5" senko, by all means use it! I do.

Can you use mono? Of course, and it works. Some people even use braid. Any line can spook a fish. Besides, the refractive index of mono is pretty darn well close to that of water anyway.

I can only speak from experience and personal experimentation, but I have observed that:

1) FC line has an advantage of mono in terms of overall catch numbers but it is not by much. I wouldn't hesitate to use 6# mono for my drop shotting. The edges where fc might outshine mono could be:
a) If the fish are in a very negative state - ie, not very active. The "invisibility" of the line just might be the feather that breaks the camel's back, so to speak.
b) Transmission of feedback to the angler. FC line does this very well.
c) Not as subject to UV as mono.

Mono's advantages are:

1) Generally, it's a heck of a lot cheaper
2) While both can stretch, mono generally can recover better - the word might be that it is generally more resilient.

When Drop shotting, ideally I prefer to use an exposed hook. However, cover can trump that ideal really quick.

One instance I might use an EWG or non "drop shot" hook is if I am facing conditions where an exposed hook might have me spending more time clearing gunk from the exposed hook than fishing. In addition, I usually texpose the hook.

Even a 1.5lb bass won't have much difficulty scarfing down a 3/0 or 4/0 hook and a 5" senko so if you want to use 5" senko, go for it. I use them. You might want to consider trying them wacky.

Lastly, welcome!!!
Old 04-26-12, 04:37 PM   #17
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddelicious View Post
junebug is my favorite zoom color! nice fish.
Thanks, but it's my wife's fish so it's probably 10lb test and a zebby 33 Junebug worked very well, also.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 01:48 PM   #18
kiddelicious
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
I'm going to do this vs my Current set up of the entire spool of Flouro and a perfect time for me to do so. I'm heading to Apalachiacola tomorrow to do some Sheepshead fishing and I changed all my reels out with Braid.

Kid, what knot do you use to attach the Braid to the Flouro?
Uni to uni power pro super 8 10lb to 8-10lb fluoro 6 turn fluoro 5 braid. Cant remember the last time that failed me.
Old 04-27-12, 09:59 PM   #19
kennethdaysale

This is a good and worthwhile thread. Dev welcome to the forum. Since everyone is coming at this from a "in my opinion/experience" direction.....I usually only use a dropshot in deep (20-30+) clear water to catch offshore fish that I have graphed and cannot get to bite a deep crank or a C-rig or a jig or a Lil-George. I use 4-6 lb fluoro-small hooks-small 2-3-4" baits and a Quality rod.

Just like everyone says though, you can play around with it and catch fish any number of ways.....Example>>>Last year I found a group of deep fish on the finder and after hovering over them for an hour without a bite, I came back at them later in the day with a small brim head for bait and confirmed that I had been hovering over a stupid school of 2-3lb channel cats.
Old 04-28-12, 09:20 AM   #20
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

You can certainly use mono if you wish. For good sensitivity, I suggest a braid main line (I use 20# PowerPro), with a leader of 10lb co-poly. Between them, I use a small swivel. I use Gammakatsu dropshot hooks, most of the time with a 4-5" worm nose-hooked. The best worms will float horizontally rather than hang straight down.
Old 04-30-12, 10:44 PM   #21
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the info guys!

So this seems to be the verdict:
- You can use mono, although it's not normally preferred, as it does not transmit bites as well as fluoro.

- You can use any hook as long as the size of the hook is appropriate for the size of the bait, and does not diminish the action of the bait.

- The size of the bait should be determined by the usual criteria for size selection. That is, whichever size bait the fish seem to be biting on or preferring.

Did I get that right?
Old 05-01-12, 05:05 AM   #22
joedog

Perfect!
You are now a Dropshot Pro!
Have fun and keep us updated.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.