Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-28-12, 01:28 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default I really miss short handled rods.

I have a real issue with these longer rods with so much behind the reel They catch on my clothes or go up my shirt sleeve when I wear short sleeves. Really frustrating to me. Not sure if I am alone in this or not.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 01:42 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I actually prefer longer handled rods, it helps with my casting style. I did notice today though that Academy had some new All Star rods with pistol grips.
Old 04-28-12, 08:18 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have some of the same issues Fred. For the most part I have no problems with long handled rods and they do help with two handed casting, but I don't like how the ling handle gets snagged between my shirt buttons on the belly area, and things like that. It is nice though for the leverage to be able to stick that long handle in my gut when playing tug of war with a bass in heavy cover. But the shorted pistol grip rods sure are fun to cast with. Now you got me wanting to get one back out of storage to use again! I still have a couple. lol
Old 04-28-12, 01:04 PM   #4
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My last one got broken last weekend when the seat fell on it. I REALLY want another one for pitching spinnerbaits while it's still jacket weather.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 01:30 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I used to have several pistol grip rods but over time I have pretty much got away from them in favor of longer handled rods. I do have a few rods that are 6' with a short straight handle and they are great for jerkbaits as well as walking and popping topwater baits. I have been kicking around the idea of making my next rod build a pistol gripped spinnerbait rod.
Old 04-28-12, 07:23 PM   #6
Dave63

That's all that I used that rod for. I that old Berkley for many years and couldn't begin to tell you how many fish were caught on it.
Old 04-29-12, 12:16 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am building a 6' with a 6" straight handle for someone now. A lot of my rods have 9-10" handles, but everything has a time and place. But my next few builds will have shorter handles. As far as pistol grips, I have have small hands and never found them all that comfortables (Not weird like the BK commercial small).
Old 04-29-12, 07:30 AM   #8
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I just bought a 5'6" pistol grip rod just for casting spinnerbaits and cranks into tight places. I like the long handles for pitching which I do most of the time.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 07:31 AM   #9
lilmule

You can still find the old pistol grip lews speed sticks for 5-10 at yard sales,most wanted longer handles so in the interest of sales most got what they wanted.Leaving the minority lacking.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 09:01 AM   #10
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I mostly cast so I find the longer handles are not my cup of tea. My usual transition from hand to hand after the cast is not as easy because my belly & the long handle want to occupy the same space. It is just more awkward. The pistol grips are great but a non-pistol grip is okay by me too.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 09:24 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I also prefer the longer handles. I fish almost exclusively 7' + rods and longer handles are a must. Could you imagine a pistol grip on a 7'6" MH Glass cranking rod .

It does suck for those who use pistol grips or other short handles that hardly any decent rods are made them now days. I guess there's always custom though.

BB
Old 04-29-12, 12:57 PM   #12
Dave63

Anything over 6 foot, I use long handles or split grips exclusively. Just like the short handles for the 5'6" stuff.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.