Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-12-14, 10:35 AM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I wonder if????

I wonder if I could use butterfly jigs for LGMouth in the winter. I recently went fishing on the Chesapeake Bay where I learned the art of butterfly jigging. We fished in 60 feet of water and the bite was very good. I learned the double pause drop and the stutter lift. And with two hands and how to use my body and arms correctly. This after my right elbow was hurting so bad from the day before..still hurts ...Landed about 40 big convict bass. The assist hooks mounted at the top of the jig never once stuck in the oyster shell or rocks. If I use a jig that I would normally use like a photo jig with out the treble hooks perhaps I would not need a bucket full. We used to keep Little Georges by the dozen for a single day of winter LGMouth jigging.

I wonder?

Capt Mike
Old 12-12-14, 11:34 AM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just conjecture ... I am sure you could use them, and I am SURE they'd catch fish. But "oysterless" doesn't mean weedless. You'd probably need to carry a bunch of them, too.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 12:05 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

In the waters that LGmouth live in here on the Potomac during the winter are deep. Deep is very relative and all the grass is gone. Deep may be 12 feet in one creek and 8 in another. They will bunch up in these deep sections and almost hibernate. Occasionally they will take a meal but it can be 30 days between. If you are able to place the jig in front of them and get them interested with the two assist hooks moving about and that flash they may mouth it. Need a lot of things to come together first. The right tide, clear water, and a jig that will not drift (overweighted). These things keep me up at night.

Capt Mike
Old 12-12-14, 12:38 PM   #4
mikechell

My preference ... keep in mind that I don't do much vertical jigging, but I used to when I live up North.
I LOVE the ice fishing jigs. The ones with the line tie in the middle of the back and a hook at both ends. They should be available this time of year ... and the work GREAT, even in warmer water, when the fish are deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swimming-Lures.gif
Views:	789
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	9086  
Old 12-12-14, 12:53 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

I have used them and they do work but lost so many due to snags. They snag everything with all those hooks. Just like Little Georges do. Also never seen a 2oz version of them.

I think this will just need to be tried in Jan or Feb.

I would also think that the reservoir fisherman would need to try this also.

Capt Mike
Old 12-12-14, 01:30 PM   #6
mikechell

I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting the reports.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.