Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-19-11, 08:50 PM   #1
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default best floating line?

Bought a triggerfish and it Definatly works better with a mono type floating line. Problem is I use co-poly almost exclusively (p-line) which sinks. Whats everyones favorite line that floats? Handling and strength are tops for me.
Old 05-19-11, 09:49 PM   #2
boloson

braid. i thought those triggerfish works better with zero stretch lines like braid?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 10:10 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hard to beat sufix. Pline CXX is also good for an all round line, and it floats (it's pretty stiff though)!

Last edited by Bassboss; 05-19-11 at 10:24 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 11:08 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Braid is definitely your best floating line option.
Old 05-20-11, 09:29 PM   #5
IowaBasser

I looked up the triggerfish on tackle-warehouse. The manufacturerer reccomends braid up to 30lbs & Mono between 6-12lbs for best performance.

Are we to assume that you fish with a bait-caster? (I fish exclusively with spinning reels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
Handling and strength are tops for me.
If handling and strength are truly what you are looking for, I think a braid would be your obvious choice. Power-Pro seems to be the standard against which other braids are compared. Of course there are "newer / higher-performance" braids ...and everyone has their favorite brand. When I see someone reccomend a new braid, someone else seems to post about a bad experience that they've had with it. Power-Pro may not be the newest, highest tech braid, but it has a proven track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
I use co-poly almost exclusively (p-line)
This leads me to believe that handling and strength are NOT your top priorities when considering a fishing line, rather you are concerned with line-visibility in which case you could consider a Monofilament. I like Trilene XT or XL for mono, though I've read good things about BPS Excel for monofilament (...and Excel is VERY reasonably priced!) Next time I re-spool a reel with mono, I'm gonna try Excel.

A third option would be a braided line with a 5 ft. Mono or co-poly leader. This would give you the stregnth and handling of braid on your primary line with the visibility advantages of mono or co-poly. Many people use just braid for top-water lures, but they have the option to tie on a leader if line visibility becomes an issue in super-clear water.

Last edited by IowaBasser; 05-20-11 at 09:46 PM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 11:07 AM   #6
Lvitch

I will probably go with braid, even though I hate it. I don't care for the handling properties (wind knots etc).

As for p-line co poly, its quite the opposite actually. I use 8,10,and ,15 lb flouroclear. The line is very limp and supple, sensitive ,lower memory than most, abrasion resistant, strong as hell, and near invisible to boot. I spent a year trying different lines (about 15 -20 different types) from the cheap to the expensive and for me the flouro clear was a hands down winner. Funny enough the CX and CXX I don't care for at all as they are strong but very stiff, I won't use them.
Old 05-23-11, 11:50 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As far as nylon monofilament lines go, Sufix Elite and Siege are the two best I've tried. The Siege is probably what I'd use. It is just as limp as the Elite, but is tougher.

Braid is also a good choice is you want your line to float. Although you need to watch out for a couple new braids that do sink: Sufix 832 (the Gore fiber increases density) and Spiderwire Fluorobraid.

BB
Old 05-24-11, 02:52 PM   #8
BigBurlyBass

suffix for me
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.