Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-15-06, 10:07 PM   #1
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On
Default Fishing Lines

Can everybody explain the different advantages to all the different lines? disadvantages? etc.?

I usually use mono but also started using flurocarbon last year.
Old 01-15-06, 11:36 PM   #2
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

mono has alot of stetch and is not very abrasive restent

florocarbon low stretch abrasive restent invisable in water finer dia then mono

braid thin diamaters vary strong very sensative
Old 01-16-06, 12:03 AM   #3
KH.

woah,dont get me started.yes all lines have different ad and disadvantages.heres my two cents.then it is basically mono.first there are those "superlines". which my choice is fireline.i use it probally 15 percent of the time.it has high breaking strenth and low diameter plus no stretch.its commonly used by me in heavycover.then there is mono,which i use maybe 3/4 of the time. the monos i use is trilene,xl,xt,and cajun red cast.xl,is smooth casting,xt is extra tough and more abrasion resistant,but has more memory.then cajun red is a trouble free mono that is all around good.who cares if its invisible in the water.then there is flurocarbon,which i use about 10 percent of the time.if i need light line,6-8 pound vanish is what i need.i use 12 pound test on ALL senko,tiki worms
Old 01-16-06, 12:33 AM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Please allow me to elaborate. A quality monofilament will serve you well regardless of the technique, but braid and fluorocarbon will provide you with better results in certain situations. Braided lines will give you alot more stength and limpness with a smaller diameter. Premium braided line is round in shape, making it easier to work with. Braid has little or no stretch. Setting a hook as hard as you would with mono can rip a fish's lips off or break your rod. I use softer action rods for braid to prevent such occurances. The lack of stretch is great for sensitivity and setting the hook when you make long casts. It's opaque so it's way too visible in clear water. It cuts through vegetation like no other line can. Fluorocarbon has less stretch than mono, but more than braid. It refracts light, making it invisible in the water. It is stiffer than most monos, but manufacturers are working on making them easier to use. Fluorocarbon sinks, so it's not a good choice for topwaters. It makes your crankbaits dive a few feet deeper than they would go with mono, and I like using it for jerkbaits as well. Many anglers like it for plastics too.
Old 01-16-06, 12:42 AM   #5
KH.

flurocarbon has nothing to do with how deep it goes with a crankbait.thats called diameter pal.but fluro does have a bit smaller diameter than mono
Old 01-16-06, 05:25 AM   #6
KenDammit

actually flourocarbon does have a lot to do with how deep a crankbait goes, or how fast something falls in the water. Its all about the density. Have you ever seen mono floating on the top of water? I'm sure that you have, and the reason so is that its less dense than flouro, and it causes the line to float. Diameter is only an issue with like lines, not with different chemical makeups. Mono to mono, diameter will make a diff. in the fall, Mono to Flouro, its apples to oranges.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 03:18 PM   #7
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
flurocarbon has nothing to do with how deep it goes with a crankbait.thats called diameter pal.but fluro does have a bit smaller diameter than mono
I'm with Ken on this one.

Actually FC line can get crankbaits deeper, somewhat. Inherently it sinks and in addition to that, it has a smaller diameter than mono of equivalent strength so it can get cbs down deeper.

Maybe not much more, but a little more. So it has a little something to do.

The differences between the lines has pretty much already been covered.
Old 01-16-06, 07:57 PM   #8
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

So would mono be better for plastics because it has slower fall?
Old 01-17-06, 02:37 AM   #9
KenDammit

it can be, but it also has its disadvantages. A Flourocarbon or copolymer line(like Yo-Zuri Hybrid) is going to be a lot more sensitive than a mono line and also have a lot less stretch. The fall rate isn't going to be so drastic that it will severely change the way the bait works, so the tradeoff has a whole lot more upside than downside. Yes, the bait may fall a tiny bit faster, but you're going to gain a whole lot of sensitivity and a more direct connection to your bait, all the while gaining stronger hooksetting power, stronger line strength, more abrasion resistance, those sorts of things.

I'm sure that there are certain situations where mono could be more effective, but on the whole...flouro is stronger in smaller diameters, less visible, less stretchy, and a tougher line. You could even throw braid on the reel if you're fishing in water that isn't very clear or in darker conditions.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.