Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-26-06, 06:50 PM   #1
jawmaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best Combo to throw 1/4 oz Rat L traps

I use my baitcasters to throw the 1/2 oz traps but I need to buy something to throw my lighter 1/4 oz and lighter lures.

Also what size line?

Thanks!
jawmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 07:18 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

1/4 ounce should be no problem for any bait caster, its all in the adjustment you make for you line drop..not to free so that it backlashes, but eased up somewhat from heavier lures. I usually set each lure so that it drops from a rod that is held 45 degrees out , and the lure falls about 8 inches and stops..then set your brake
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 07:24 PM   #3
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you want a spinning setup, with pinpoint accuracy, sensitivty, and castablility, go with a 6'6" MH or 7' M Falcon Low Rider (100$ range), and a Quantum reel, of you choice. Spool up with 30# Stren SuperBraid, and you'll be ready to go.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 12:58 PM   #4
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a Lamiglas Blade and crank series rod. I matched it up with a older curado and 10# line. For me it doesnt matter what size trap im throwing this is a great setup for me! On the Lamiglas it is strong enough that i can throw 1/4 -3/4 oz size and feel that i can get a fish into the boat with no problems. The 10# line works perfect for all around cranking and bladin IMO/IME.....
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 02:39 PM   #5
jawmaw
BassFishin.Com Member

I was thinking I needed some light spinning tackle with 6lb line to throw these lighter lures.

Almost all of my gear is loaded with 20lb Power Pro and 20lb flourocarbon leader. I just dont get any distance with that line and my 1/4 oz lures.
Old 11-27-06, 02:57 PM   #6
skeeter944

get some berkely trilene big game in 15lb,get a 6'6'' medium heavy rod with a high speed baitcaster,and crank away!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 06:10 PM   #7
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would throw it on a 6' 6" medium heavy baitcast on 17 pound test. It might take some getting used to but this will work just fine.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 06:55 PM   #8
pig n jig

I use a 6' medium Quantum HSX 54 spinning rod with a Browning Citori reel.The reason is because its the only rod I carry that has 10 lb test on it.Braided line for 1/4 oz. traps didn't work well for me, in fact I didn't like it for the bigger traps either. I prefer 15-17 lb test mono for 1/2 oz. traps.I normally use a Falcon 7'MH 5 power rod and a Daiwa 103 Millionaire reel for traps. I am not always correct though.You will have to figure out what works best for you. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 07:04 PM   #9
WIbassfisherman

This is just to confuse you more!! =) But...I throw my traps 1/4 oz size on 7' BPS crankin' stick (graphite/glass mix blank) with a Pfluegar Trion (widespool) 5.3:1 with 12lb flurocarbon. I typically thrown this bait in the spring in search of active prespawners. I like the longer rod for casting distance and I crank my butt off. I can definitely feel it at the end of the day. The flurocarbon not only refracts light, but sinks so my trap stays down as I'm burning. The 5.3:1 helps keep my bait in the water/strke zone as well.

Not a popular setup but I"m Attention Deficit when I'm searching for fish and I must look hyperactive when I'm fancasting.
Old 11-27-06, 11:20 PM   #10
jawmaw
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess the answer to my question is "anything that works"
Old 11-28-06, 05:35 PM   #11
pig n jig

Would it be better if we were like alot of other sites and say you need a Megabass destroyer rod and a Shimano stella reel with Sun machine gun line, but you must scour the internet for the highest priced 1/4 oz. traps because they are better than the lower priced traps of the same color and brand ? I think we all pretty much posted our honest opinion of what is the best 1/4 oz. outfit out of what we own.If you come up with a killer quarter ounce outfit, please let us know.If you buy a Megabass destroyer rod and don't like it. Can I have it ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 06:24 PM   #12
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawmaw View Post
I guess the answer to my question is "anything that works"
Not really because anything works, I donīt see why you have "problems" casting a 1/4 ounce bait with a Curado, loosen the tension knob.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 11:19 PM   #13
bubba bass bigfoot

anything that works and you like.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 07:58 PM   #14
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbassfisherman View Post
This is just to confuse you more!! =) But...I throw my traps 1/4 oz size on 7' BPS crankin' stick (graphite/glass mix blank) with a Pfluegar Trion (widespool) 5.3:1 with 12lb flurocarbon. I typically thrown this bait in the spring in search of active prespawners. I like the longer rod for casting distance and I crank my butt off. I can definitely feel it at the end of the day. The flurocarbon not only refracts light, but sinks so my trap stays down as I'm burning. The 5.3:1 helps keep my bait in the water/strke zone as well.

Not a popular setup but I"m Attention Deficit when I'm searching for fish and I must look hyperactive when I'm fancasting.

Man I picture you canking like a freak on speed rotfl. I like a faster reel for traps, because I like them burnign in, but if it works, go with it. I use a Saint Croix 6'6" Medium Cranking stick. I also use the older(Green B200) Curado. I would like to step up to a 7' rod soon though for heavier traps.

Lizards
Old 12-09-06, 07:55 PM   #15
Vabass22

Right now, I use a 7' mh rod(soft tip), with(a very crappy)casting reel-6.3:1. Thats what I use for most traps, jerkbaits, and some cranks.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.