Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-06-09, 01:34 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default FLW or B.A.S.S.

after watching flw's coverage of the stren series on table rock i have come to this conclusion. first off flw sucks as far as coverage goes, they spend too much time talking about crap that nobody cares about and too little time covering the fishing part of the tournament. and the other thing i noticed is it doesn't matter if you are watching b.a.s.s. or flw they both claim to have the best pros in the world. i thought it would be cool if each organization put a big chunk of money in a pot (lets say $500,000) and had the best 10 anglers from their organization go head to head with each other plus the 10 anglers from the other organization, meaning winner take all. no pay out for second, third, ect. that would at least let one of them rightfully claim to have the best pros in the world.

by the way i would bet my money on the bassmaster boys.
Old 01-06-09, 01:49 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ditto --but all those guys can fish
Old 01-06-09, 01:56 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

yeah i agree that they can all fish, and there are some flw guys who i think are better than some of the bassmaster guys. but as a whole i think the best of the elite 50 are better than the best of the flw. there have been several guys who have crossed over from flw to b.a.s.s. and done really well and the same thing has happened the other way around too.
Old 01-06-09, 02:01 PM   #4
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i agree c-rig. but the cool for me watching was that i lived real close to where curtis was flishing and won. neat to watch tv and be able to relate to the old hwy 13 bridge

not like you though, you fish it regularly!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 02:54 PM   #5
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree, there should definitely be some head-to-head competition between the two organizations.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 03:38 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
i agree c-rig. but the cool for me watching was that i lived real close to where curtis was flishing and won. neat to watch tv and be able to relate to the old hwy 13 bridge

not like you though, you fish it regularly!
that guy caught some toads too. i couldn't believe that he had that good of a largemouth bite on the main lake. generally the main lake is where guys go that are after the spots or smallmouths and the largemouth guys run up the rivers. don't get me wrong there are some good largemouth caught on the main lake, i have caught some myself but if they wouldn't have showed where he was fishing i would have bet he ran up james river.
Old 01-06-09, 05:25 PM   #7
zooker

your right weather it is bass or flw -i am not fond of EITHER and have a LARGE axe to grind with b.a.s.s.

i know for a FACT they have video cameras in all top 10-12 anglers boats..so if they are getting paid to shoot video then lets see it... i say to the heck with the highlights, show us what there doing for good or for bad and shut the hell up!!!! any one else want to met fish fishborn in the parking lot and beat him with a blunt object??

zooker
Old 01-06-09, 05:35 PM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

I have very mixed feelings about both. Yes Zooker is right in saying that BASS coverage is better. BASS i just hate them since espn took over. I don't like them getting rid of the Co Anglers. Flw does cator to allot more people on a body of water. Yes people like Yelas are better fishermen then KVD. While he does good in Bass. He nevor did that good in FLW where there is more competition in a single tournament. There some Japanese guy's over in Flw that are just amazing. I think it would be cool to have a winner takes all Universal champion.
Old 01-06-09, 05:43 PM   #9
CMorg

That would be cool. I kinda like FLW mag better than bassmaster , but I do like them both
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 06:27 PM   #10
bamabassman

i just think that both are over......how do i say this.......uh.....COMMERCIALIZED!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 06:33 PM   #11
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
I have very mixed feelings about both. Yes Zooker is right in saying that BASS coverage is better. BASS i just hate them since espn took over. I don't like them getting rid of the Co Anglers. Flw does cator to allot more people on a body of water. Yes people like Yelas are better fishermen then KVD. While he does good in Bass. He nevor did that good in FLW where there is more competition in a single tournament. There some Japanese guy's over in Flw that are just amazing. I think it would be cool to have a winner takes all Universal champion.
I dont think getting rid of the elite series co-angler is such a bad thing since they did replace it with a learning tool. I cant wait till they come up here I am gonna do the marshall program. Can you imagine getting to watch someone like KVD, Breuer, Ike (even though I know some dont like him but he can fish and I dont mind the antics), Jones, ETC fish and learn some of their techniques. KVD says he plans on making sure that the person in the back in learning as he fishes. I cant wait to check that out. It will be awesome.
Old 01-06-09, 08:48 PM   #12
bcklash

lilmoose--you said KVD never done much in the FLW, he was the AOY in 2001. He never won a tournament, but he's always near top no matter what he fishes in.
Old 01-06-09, 09:17 PM   #13
soulfly71
BassFishin.Com Member

First of all KVD is the best. Second ESPN sucks. Why can't they show IKE,KVD,MARTENS reeling in a 6# fish on sports center instead of Kobe Bryant dunking a basketball for the 300 hundreth time. They need alot more tv time.
soulfly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 10:12 PM   #14
rangerryan

ok heres the deal basketball, football, and baseball has millions of fans that want to see how their team did. 90% of those people dont even know who kvd is. not to say i wish our sport didnt get as much air time so i do understand the ranting. what i want to know is, how come the outdoor channel only has hunting shows year around not bad but id like to see some bass fishing on occasion.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 10:17 AM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
I dont think getting rid of the elite series co-angler is such a bad thing since they did replace it with a learning tool. I cant wait till they come up here I am gonna do the marshall program. Can you imagine getting to watch someone like KVD, Breuer, Ike (even though I know some dont like him but he can fish and I dont mind the antics), Jones, ETC fish and learn some of their techniques. KVD says he plans on making sure that the person in the back in learning as he fishes. I cant wait to check that out. It will be awesome.
No i could careless about being in the boat with them. I did the tournement thing before so i know how it works. Many of these guy's that are in Bass & flw. I fished with in the lesser known RED MAN Tournament trail. Co-anglers are guy's trying to work themselves up in the ranks of BASS. That is what i hate about Bass. The Red Man series you paid your Entry fee & you competed against the Pro's. We had no special division.
Old 01-08-09, 12:18 AM   #16
BassinBandit

Quote:
No i could careless about being in the boat with them. I did the tournement thing before so i know how it works. Many of these guy's that are in Bass & flw. I fished with in the lesser known RED MAN Tournament trail. Co-anglers are guy's trying to work themselves up in the ranks of BASS. That is what i hate about Bass. The Red Man series you paid your Entry fee & you competed against the Pro's. We had no special division.
But for me I can learn just as much from seeing it in person and watching every thing they do. I just think it is a great thing. Oh and Jay Yellas cant compete with KVD, not meaning to offend but that is one of the craziest things I have heard. He isnt even close to the best in FLW.
Old 01-08-09, 12:49 PM   #17
Wishing2BFishing

Boogieman,

I thought for sure that you would weigh-in on this topic.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 01:21 PM   #18
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Both of them have guys that can catch a lot of fish for sure....if you want to fish to be famous fish B.A.S.S. if you want to fish to make money fish FLW. Although being famous goes hand in hand with making money off of endorsements...lol
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 05:33 PM   #19
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
But for me I can learn just as much from seeing it in person and watching every thing they do. I just think it is a great thing. Oh and Jay Yellas cant compete with KVD, not meaning to offend but that is one of the craziest things I have heard. He isnt even close to the best in FLW.
You really have know idea. Yelas is the S@#$. He competes in a field of fishermen twice as large then in any Bass tournament. Fukae is another kid that has made allot of money very quick. He has braught some techniques from japan US bass have never scene. KVD competes in a much smaller field of pro's & is way over commercialized. So it is allot easior to be chief.
Old 01-08-09, 07:00 PM   #20
BassinBandit

Quote:
You really have know idea. Yelas is the S@#$. He competes in a field of fishermen twice as large then in any Bass tournament. Fukae is another kid that has made allot of money very quick. He has braught some techniques from japan US bass have never scene. KVD competes in a much smaller field of pro's & is way over commercialized. So it is allot easior to be chief.

FLW has some great fisherman and if you want to make money its the place to go but being in a bigger field doesnt mean that he is better fisherman. Now dont get me wrong I like Jay I think he is a great fisherman but I dont think him fishing in FLW makes him better there are a several better in Bass and FLW that are better than Jay Yelas. You said what did KVD do in FLW but what did Jay do in BASS.
Old 01-09-09, 11:40 PM   #21
lowrider

somebody explain to me why ike was in the flw stren series championship mentioned in the start of this thread. i though he was elite series.
Old 01-10-09, 12:37 AM   #22
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
somebody explain to me why ike was in the flw stren series championship mentioned in the start of this thread. i though he was elite series.
if i understand it right (and i think i heard it correctly) ike fished a stren event early because it was close to home and decided to complete the season because the championship was close to home and on a body of water that fished just like his home lake. could be wrong but i think that is it.
Old 01-10-09, 12:42 AM   #23
lowrider

it said during the coverage that he won the northeast division and therefore would get a spot in the forrest wood cup regardles of his finish in the championship we watched. i saw him say that the cup would be close to home. the confusing part to me is that he competed in enough regional events to win the northeast....that's minor league fishing to someone that has been in the elite series
Old 01-10-09, 12:46 AM   #24
MIbasser

Quote:
From what I heard it was an easy way for him to qualify to fish in the Forrest Wood Cup for a cool million.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 07:49 PM   #25
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
it said during the coverage that he won the northeast division and therefore would get a spot in the forrest wood cup regardles of his finish in the championship we watched. i saw him say that the cup would be close to home. the confusing part to me is that he competed in enough regional events to win the northeast....that's minor league fishing to someone that has been in the elite series
yeah i worded that wrong, the cup will be close to home for him. i agree it's kinda like in nascar when a cup driver runs in the busch race.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.