Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-09, 01:57 PM   #1
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling Motor 12v or 24v?

I am going to get a bow mount minn Kota trolling motor. My boat is a 14' Grumman 4.4 weighs about 205-250. I fish on lakes, creeks, rivers. I am stuck on how many volts I really need. Doing some research on the net, it looks like 55lb Thrust and 12 volts will do the job. Now, after reading some fishing forums some folks suggest 24 volts. Which of course requires two batteries. I am thinking that is overkill for my size boat. What do you think?

Af
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 02:26 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would think if two deep cycle batteries are too much weight for your boat, then you probably don't need 55lb of thrust, either.

A 55lb motor is going to be drawing a lot of current at 12V, which is going to eat up a lot of power through resistance losses. At 24V, the same size trolling motor will only lose 25% of that power to resistance losses. So if you use your trolling motor for 6 hours per day, and you deduct 1 hour of battery capacity to resistance losses with the 12V setup, you'd only lose 15 minutes with the 24V...so an extra 45 minutes of fishing for you. (Just numbers I pulled out of a hat, but seems reasonable)

It will work though, and your performance will of course depend on how much you use your trolling motor throughout your day.
Old 12-12-09, 02:33 PM   #3
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

You should always carry a spare TM battery with you. I would opt for a 12/24v myself. But then that's what I have now and I really like it. I fish deathly slow so I switch to 12v and the batteries will last almost 8 hours on an electric only lake.
Old 12-12-09, 03:45 PM   #4
pig n jig

You can relay as many batteries in 12 volt as long as you stay positive to positive and negative to negative on the terminals.I use a 56 lb thrust 12 volt with a 2 battery set up. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 06:33 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
You can relay as many batteries in 12 volt as long as you stay positive to positive and negative to negative on the terminals.I use a 56 lb thrust 12 volt with a 2 battery set up. Ivan
Ivan, my point was that a 24V motor with two batteries in series will last longer than a 12V motor with two batteries in parallel. Same amp-hours, but less resistance losses.
Old 12-13-09, 06:08 AM   #6
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Ivan, my point was that a 24V motor with two batteries in series will last longer than a 12V motor with two batteries in parallel. Same amp-hours, but less resistance losses.
I was just throwing it out there for those who might already have a 12 volt trolling motor and were only using 1 battery.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:27 AM   #7
bassboogieman

If you are going to carry a "spare" battery for a 12v system, I wouldn't hesitate to opt for a 24v T/m. It will run longer, you can go up a bit in thrust (you can never have too much) and have enough battery power to fish all day.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 08:26 PM   #8
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
If you are going to carry a "spare" battery for a 12v system, I wouldn't hesitate to opt for a 24v T/m. It will run longer, you can go up a bit in thrust (you can never have too much) and have enough battery power to fish all day.
Agreed. Its reassuring to have the security of knowing you have plenty of juice and it's nice to speed troll from one spot to another with that extra thrust, but for his boat a 12 volt is all he needs. Anything more would be borderline ridiculous IMO, unless the boat does not have an outboard as well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4836802
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 10:14 AM   #9
muddy

I am in the same boat, so to speak. I fish very small lakes, most have a 9.9 hp or trolling motor only restriction.

I have a Min Kota 12v to push it around, been thinking of a foot control for the front. I am starting to lean to a 12 v, or maybe even another hand control up front. It is only a 12 ft aluminum. Here is a pic, I got it from my best friend, he has a bow mount on it in this pic, I would put it on the same spot, I also am changing the name
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	4550  
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 07:06 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Andy, for that size boat a 12V ought to work just fine. Having a second battery is always a great idea. I did that on mine before I went to a 24V motor, but my boat is 17-6 with a 115 Merc so I needed the extra power.
Old 12-28-09, 04:50 PM   #11
Reel Deal
BassFishin.Com Member

A second battery for 24 volt is going to add unecessary weight. With 55 lb 12 volt, you will be able to fish all day.
Reel Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 09:12 PM   #12
spruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Batteries in parallel WILL add amp hours, a parallel battery 12v 55lb will out last a 24v 70lb anyday....
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 10:43 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Batteries in parallel WILL add amp hours, a parallel battery 12v 55lb will out last a 24v 70lb anyday....
Spruce, you're comparing apples to oranges. If the two motors are of the same thrust, and of the same basic design, the 24V setup will last longer.
Old 01-12-10, 12:37 AM   #14
spruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Problem is thats not how trolling motors are sold 55lb is normaly 12volt 70 is 24volt, etc etc. And "if" the motors are the same design (same windings) the 24volt version will draw much more current and burn out faster. SO....... a 55lb 12volt 2 battery system will have much longer run time than a 70lb 24volt 2 battery system
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 12:47 AM   #15
nofearengineer

Spruce, current x time = energy.

Amp - hours is a measure of energy.

What you are saying is that by connecting two batteries in parallel, you somehow have more energy than if you connect them in series. Batteries have the same amount of energy stored in them regardless of how they are connected.

Stop comparing a 55 lb motor to a 70 lb motor. If you have a 55 lb motor designed to run at 12V, and a 55 lb motor designed to run at 24V, the 24V motor will run longer, and there's simply no ifs, and, or buts about it. It's Ohm's Law.
Old 01-12-10, 08:55 AM   #16
muddy

Since I am also in the market for a foot controled for a samll boat: there does not seem to be a choice at 55 lbs for a 24 v motor, I am not an expert but have been looking and so far all the Min Kotas I have seen at 55 lbs of thrust are 12 v systems. If there are 55 lbs /24 v system can someone post it. Unless it's Motorgiude as I do not like their products
Thanks

Last edited by muddy; 01-12-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-12-10, 10:26 AM   #17
nofearengineer

I wasn't talking about specific models. I was talking about motors in general.

How about this...if you take a 70 lb, 24V motor and turn it down (say speed 4 instead of 5, so it produces 55 lbs of thrust instead of 70, it will last longer than a 55 lb, 12V motor. Now you have a more efficient setup, with the capability of higher speed when and if you want it. In my opinion, higher voltage is almost always better performance, with the exception of when boat space and weight capacity (or budget ) just won't allow a second or third battery.

True enough, almost every 55 lb troller out there is 12V, but there are a few...and yes, I believe they are Motorguides, that run 55lb at 24V. I know the Brute 765 does. That being said, I think a 55 lb at 12V is plenty for the boat in question in this thread.
Old 01-12-10, 10:59 AM   #18
muddy

I have given up looking for a 55/24v. New plan of attack; Since the boat is Aluminum and 12 ft long and mostly used on ELectric Motor, small lakes I asm just going to get another MinKota 36, Transom mount,Turn the head 180: and run that one off the front. Downside is, while I fish myself a lot I also fish with friends a lot and that will mean another battery. I use a group 27 Everstart ( have for years thye take a beating) in rear I am going to use a smaller one up front as I get palce to place with the raer motor and only use the front in and out of coves and to hold over depper structure
Old 01-12-10, 11:45 AM   #19
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
I have given up looking for a 55/24v. New plan of attack; Since the boat is Aluminum and 12 ft long and mostly used on ELectric Motor, small lakes I asm just going to get another MinKota 36, Transom mount,Turn the head 180: and run that one off the front. Downside is, while I fish myself a lot I also fish with friends a lot and that will mean another battery. I use a group 27 Everstart ( have for years thye take a beating) in rear I am going to use a smaller one up front as I get palce to place with the raer motor and only use the front in and out of coves and to hold over depper structure
I bought a Minn Kota bow mount hand control last year. My Fiberglass bassboat is only 14'. Tight up front. This motor was the answer.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 12:22 PM   #20
muddy

Thanks. I am just going to buy a transom mount and turn the head around. 2 of my firends were fortunate enough to go to Trakers this year and sold their little tinnys. I can pick a 30# Thrust up for 50 bucks, and I know both motors are Okay.
Old 01-12-10, 07:55 PM   #21
bamabassman

muddy, I am gonna sell my motorguide foot control troller, it is a 56# thrust. I am gonna ask $300.00 for it. But I ain't gonna sell it till I got the money for a bigger unit. So if you are willing to wait awhile....
Old 01-12-10, 08:04 PM   #22
muddy

Thanks, I have had better luck with Min Kota and a friend who services them , So I am going to stick with that, I apreicate the kind offer.
here is the boat I got from John and the cool mount he made for his FC motor, The motor is off, my plan is to put a small piece oF metal plating on the bow end,laeving a lip to screw the hand contaolled on.

I got a one year old 36# for 45 bucks today!

Here is Pic:

Attached Images
File Type: bmp boatmotorspot.bmp (37.2 KB, 656 views)
Old 01-12-10, 08:09 PM   #23
bamabassman

Ok, not problem at all pal. I understand completly.
Old 01-12-10, 08:25 PM   #24
muddy

I know a guy , in my club looking Okay if I tell him about this for you?
Old 01-12-10, 10:17 PM   #25
bamabassman

Sure thing pal. Just remember that i ain't gonna get a new one till i got the money for it. So, it may take a while before i can let this one go. Gotta have a troller, lol. The one i want is $1200.00 I am waiting for our travel trailer to sell. may be a couple of months form now. Cool?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.