Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-23-15, 01:33 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Choosing a prop!

Hey guys, I've got a 1989 Gemini 179DCX (18') with a 150HP MarinerII; currently I can run it at 68mph, but it has a 4 blade prop and I'm not sure of the pitch as it's not listed on the side (maybe under the hub?) Anyways, anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to get better gas mileage and don't care about hole shot because this thing is a rocket ship.
Old 02-24-15, 11:39 AM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The best performance you can get from an outboard, is to run it in the recommended rpm range. Hole shot and top end are the only two considerations. Better hole shot (torque) means less top end speed (horse power) and vice versa.

The pitch of your prop is the easiest variable to change. I.E. a 17 pitch means the prop virtually moves 17 inches forward per rotation. Higher number = faster top end with a harder time getting up on plane. Lower number gives you a better hole shot, but you'll run up against the rev limiter before you get top speed.

Basically, fuel efficiency is determined at the factory when they designed the engine, there's not much you can do to change it, other than to back off the gas once you're on plane.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 09:26 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Handling and hole shot is improved with a four blade like a 24p trophy,speed is obtained with some handling loss with a three blade.Reommended rpm range is what one should operate it ,not what it will actually do for a longer lifespan.25 p three blade for speed.26 with a light boat.Have a 26p preditor on hand if u need one.Its a small diameter prop so should wing it.120 tyd if u want it
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 12:01 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

lilmule12002@yahoo.com ill take a pic,its like a 400 dollar prop virtually unused at least by me
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.