Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-06-05, 07:04 PM   #1
Big_Bad_Trav
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why?

I love alot of your guys questions about why use this lure or reel, or why this structure or that structure, but I would like to ask the ultimate question.

Why do you guys fish.

I do it for the adrenilane rush. Sitting on the bank or chest deep in water, all quite your all alone, and your line thumps, or your spinnerbait stops. My heart skips atleast one beat before I set the hook, and I guess that is why I lose alot of fish.

I like the tourney aspect for my competative side.

Just wondering guys
Old 08-06-05, 07:15 PM   #2
shaft04092

with me its a few things,like you said one thing is the rush that one the other end may be the big one,i also love the peacfullness of fishing.go out either by yourself orwith a few freinds and chill
shaft04092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 07:21 PM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I like to fish because its almost always absolutely quiet. Its relaxing to hear the sound of a lure hitting the water, to just listen to the sounds of insects, frogs, fish smacking the top of the water. I also like the challenge of catching a fish, and how great it feels when you reel one in. The rush of something hitting your bait because you were fishing it right just feels amazing to me. I don't like to make fishing a competitive thing, I just want to do it to have fun enjoying the outdoors.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 07:25 PM   #4
shaft04092

well said.
Old 08-06-05, 07:27 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't fish for fish-I fish for fishin'. I can't really explain it, but I think y'all know exactly what I mean.
Old 08-06-05, 07:28 PM   #6
KenDammit

Rebbasser, thats exactly what it is for me.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 07:51 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i don't have time to list all the reasons, besides, nobody would have the tiem to read them all, but mainly relaxation, although losing fish just pisses me off, somewhat counter productive.
Old 08-06-05, 08:07 PM   #8
HulaPopr

I fish to relax, its very calming just being out on the water, you forget the rest of the world around you. I just plain love being in the outdoors too, no time is spent better than time outside. I also fish because its a game, its a back and forth between you and the fish. Sometimes you win, sometimes they win. And when you think that you just got them figured out, they throw something new at you. Plus its an adrenaline rush, and I have a million other reasons, but those are some of the major ones.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 08:10 PM   #9
BPoi523433
BassFishin.Com Member

i don't really fish for the competition of it (although that can be fun too)

i agree...very peaceful to fish by yourself or with a friend on a totally silent (cant find it anywhere else) lake or pond. ... Just something about it

after my first big bass i was hooked (no pun intended)
BPoi523433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 08:31 PM   #10
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

i just do.....i really, honestly have NO clue why i fish......i just do
Old 08-06-05, 08:31 PM   #11
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

i fish to get away from it all..........all the ''real life drama'' would drive me crazy if i couldnt fish. when i fish, i could care less if i get a fish or not.....just fishing is all i want. but i always try my hardest to catch them........the challenge is also what draws me to fishing. its really like a therapy session, the way i want it it keeps me saine, entertained, healthy, and layed back......thats why i fish 8)
Old 08-06-05, 08:44 PM   #12
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Because it's the only thing worth living for.I find a big sense of accomplishment working hard to earn my money so I can piss it away on all the things you gotta have to get you out fishing every chance you can.Thats where my priority is anyway. P N J
Old 08-06-05, 09:21 PM   #13
shaft04092

plus,its one of the more sivel sports.when i go to cbssportsline to talk baseball or basketball its all name calling and fighting.fishermen seem to get along and compliment each other a whole lot more
Old 08-06-05, 10:10 PM   #14
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I fish because I love it and because my family has done it for generations. Its in my blood. Before he passed away my grandpa use to take me fishing all the time and whenever I cast a line I get a feelin that he is back and is standin right next to me.............. And I cant wait for the day we are back together on that bank reelin in those big bluegill he use to love so much................. Thats why I fish............

Last edited by Dyas; 08-06-05 at 10:11 PM. Reason: word
Dyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 10:16 PM   #15
NJBassDevil

Thats deep Dyas!
Old 08-06-05, 10:34 PM   #16
HulaPopr

Did just about everyone here pick fishing up from a family member, and its been in their family for years?
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 10:36 PM   #17
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

not really................some of my cousins fish and what not.....but i dont really have any ''hardcore fishers'' in my family.........first of the breed
Old 08-06-05, 10:37 PM   #18
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, my dad started me perch jerking with a cane pole, and we advanced from there. Little did he know what a bass addict and tackle junkie he was creating . My only regret is he passed on about 8 months before I bought my boat so I never got to take him out in it.
Old 08-06-05, 10:40 PM   #19
bamabassin21

Send a message via MSN to bamabassin21

I like it because the rush and just bein outdoors and seein the view.
Old 08-06-05, 10:49 PM   #20
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

That and remembering what it was like when you were little and didnt have a worry in the world but how many fish you were going to catch........ It just hurts to look back at the memories you had with loved one that have passed and never took the moment to tell them you loved them........... I regret it to this day.............
Old 08-06-05, 11:28 PM   #21
454ss

Fishin is Fishin, you dont need no d@mn reason!! Git-r-Done
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 11:28 PM   #22
Rodman_Rob

Dyas, don't worry too much about it, I'm sure your granddad understands, I'm sure he could tell you love him just by being there fishing together. Remember the good times.
Old 08-06-05, 11:36 PM   #23
guacomole

My grandma loves to fish, she got all my cousins and I fishing with bobbers at an early age. On our 4th birthdays she would get us spincasting combos for our birthdays, and we fished alot for perch and sunfish at their cottage. I was the only person who got into it seriosly, my cousins still like to fish, but they get bored of it pretty fast. I just fish because its fun, I do get an adrenialine rush when a bass takes my bait, but thats not the only reason I fish. I love to panfish also, pulling out fish after fish on worms is lots of fun, even though they dont give you bone jarring strikes.
guacomole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 11:38 PM   #24
454ss

Man dyas like rob said remember the good times, At least you got to meet him before he passed away they say my grandpa was a he11 of a fisherman but i never got to meet him.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 01:05 AM   #25
bassinbob

What more can a son ask for than to spend time with his dad. I remember fishing the Ohio river with an old bait caster back in the fifties. My dad used to call them coffee grinders. After every cast he patiently dug out each birdnest with never a harsh word. One evening as we we sitting on the remains of an old lock system trying to catch some catfish a man approached us. He was using the first spinning reel I ever saw. He asked me if I wanted to try it. Little did I know he already had a catfish hooked. He handed it over to me and I felt that cat pulling on the rod. It was a memorey I will never forget. Along with seeing all the initials carved into the old stone that made up the lock system. Listening to my dad talk about how he worked at a boat livery just before WWII. Memories, a very important reason I love to fish.
Also it is something I have taught myself to do through listening, watching, and hard work. I don't have a son to pass this knowledge on to, but anytime I am asked a fishing question i can answer i do. Lord knows I don't have one tenth of the fishing smarts a lot of people do but I enjoy passing on helpful information.
Another reason is the total thrill of that hard slam. That explosion of a topwater hit. Working a bait through the pads and grass and getting caught off guard sometimes by a hungry or angrey bass. It's in me and it's not coming out. I'll do it till I die.

Bob

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.