Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-06, 09:12 PM   #1
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best line on planet earth

What kind of line is the best?

Speak up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 09:22 PM   #2
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

No such line as best. Some lines are better than others. I like P-Line or trilene. Now there is a ton of terrible lines.
Old 05-29-06, 09:30 PM   #3
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote=Fish On]No such line as best. Some lines are better than others.

what do you guys prefure
Old 05-29-06, 09:31 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When it comes to bass fishing there is no "best" of anything. Mono is a good choice for baits with treble hooks like crankbaits because it stretches. Flourocarbon shines in clear water and you can't beat braid in the real thick/heavy stuff and is good for worms and jigs since there is little stretch.

My personal favorites are green Trilene XL, Seguar Carbon Pro flourocarbon and Powerpro braid.
Old 05-29-06, 09:34 PM   #5
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

What pound line do you like?
Old 05-29-06, 09:37 PM   #6
zooker

ask 30 guys get 20 differant answers.

best quote i have heard about line is " fishing line is a very personal item.perhaps the most personal item in your boat" in other words use what works for you and you alone. the great "bulletdc" from happatung ny said that and i for one agee with him..

my personal choice is ande mono and braid..do i favor others? yes.. do i like power pro? NO!!!..
i use 8-30 pound test

enough said..

zooker
Old 05-29-06, 09:53 PM   #7
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

What line would you use fishing plastics?
Old 05-29-06, 10:11 PM   #8
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish On
No such line as best.
Oh yes there is. Whiz Bang Braid is the hottest thing on the planet.They brought you the highly prized , but very limited Whiz Bang hard bait.upgraded the finish much to debate & controversy,The new Phantom camo finish is second to none.They expanded to the soft plastics line, Every shelf is standing bare , their products are now ordered on backorder, due to an overwhelming demand for them.As I already mentioned the new braid, like no other braid fabricated as this one is.They did it right, no stupid decoder ring, just simple high tech braid that works like its supposed to. There is the new Whiz Bang Flipping line.Its a new breakthrough technology. The braid is composed of a special formula with a fused thermostrand/ spectra fiber bonding process. What it means to the average Joe is when you buy the flipping braid, you are getting tomorrows technology today. The thermostrands process water temperatures in its imediate area. If a fish is in the area the line will detect the temperature change and turns clear in the water, but emits a bright blue colored braid above the water surface. Why Blue ? Night fisherman with black lights,the color blue is visable in the presence of the black light color spectrum. They have designed the total package of braids to end all braid wars.Now ask your self , is the $20.00 increase in the price over conventional braids worth the technology ? You bet it is. Whiz Bang Braid , 'nuff said. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 10:19 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin
What line would you use fishing plastics?
I use Seguar Carbon Pro for wacky rigs and weightless jerk/stickbaits, braid for T-rig and braid with a flourocarbon leader for C-rig.

I use 12 lb Trilene on my baitcasters, 8 lb on my spinning reels, 12 lb Flouro and 50 lb braid which has a 12 lb mono diameter.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 05-29-06 at 10:28 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 10:25 PM   #10
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

This is an area i do think there is a "best" or should i say "better" than most.

My favorite line is Stren Original 8 Lbs. test. This line has worked best for me, but i am strictly a spinning reel fisherman. So people with bait casters might have a different opinion. Maybe with baitcaster stren isn't so hot but for spinning reels it's my # 1 line.

Will
DelawareBass-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 11:08 PM   #11
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Oh yes there is. Whiz Bang Braid is the hottest thing on the planet.They brought you the highly prized , but very limited Whiz Bang hard bait.upgraded the finish much to debate & controversy,The new Phantom camo finish is second to none.They expanded to the soft plastics line, Every shelf is standing bare , their products are now ordered on backorder, due to an overwhelming demand for them.As I already mentioned the new braid, like no other braid fabricated as this one is.They did it right, no stupid decoder ring, just simple high tech braid that works like its supposed to. There is the new Whiz Bang Flipping line.Its a new breakthrough technology. The braid is composed of a special formula with a fused thermostrand/ spectra fiber bonding process. What it means to the average Joe is when you buy the flipping braid, you are getting tomorrows technology today. The thermostrands process water temperatures in its imediate area. If a fish is in the area the line will detect the temperature change and turns clear in the water, but emits a bright blue colored braid above the water surface. Why Blue ? Night fisherman with black lights,the color blue is visable in the presence of the black light color spectrum. They have designed the total package of braids to end all braid wars.Now ask your self , is the $20.00 increase in the price over conventional braids worth the technology ? You bet it is. Whiz Bang Braid , 'nuff said. P N J
P-N-J the way I understand it is they made this line out of Kevlar. You know the same stuff they make bullet proof vests out of. It's supossed to be abraision proof. Not resistant but proof. That would be well worth the price increase. That doesn't mean it wont break but the tensile strength is like 125 lb test with the same diameter as 10lb mono.

Has anyone tried the Kevlar boot laces? They claim if they dont outlast your workboots they'll send you a new pair free.
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 11:19 PM   #12
Bender

I have only been out a couple times so far this year, but 8lb. PLine floro is the only thing I have caught fish with. 90% proability it was the bait I was using at the time but those are my results. Also used were PowerPro and Cajun Red. I am in the process of removing all of the Cajun Red and replacing with floro or PP, depending on what I am doing with each setup. The water around here is so clear that I am leaning towards floro more and more.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 11:33 PM   #13
Rodman_Rob

as mentioned, no particular line is the best, but I gotta say power pro does a good job at being the best in a lot of particular catagories, its definately my personal favorite.
Old 05-30-06, 06:14 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
ask 30 guys get 20 differant answers.

best quote i have heard about line is " fishing line is a very personal item.perhaps the most personal item in your boat" in other words use what works for you and you alone. the great "bulletdc" from happatung ny said that and i for one agee with him..

my personal choice is ande mono and braid..do i favor others? yes.. do i like power pro? NO!!!..
i use 8-30 pound test

enough said..

zooker
Couldnt have put it better. I use power Pro in the 50lb test range when fishing my plastics and rats and bass assasins. I use P-Line when I am fishing topwaters and cranks. Reason for this is it gives the bass a tad bit more time to get the bait in the mouths before I set the hook due to the small amount of stretch in the line. When I am fishing jigs and/or plastics and flipping I use P-Line Spectra IV. in 65lb. test. You can pull a battleship with this line. I have yet to have it break and the abraision resistance is superior. I have straightened out hooks and pulled the cover I was fishing off the bottom.
Old 05-30-06, 10:32 AM   #15
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the ideas I think I might go with power pro
Old 05-30-06, 10:43 AM   #16
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

What are the top brands for braid,mono,and floro?

Whats the top brand for braid?Whats the top brand for mono?Whats the top brand for floro?
Old 05-30-06, 11:01 AM   #17
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For braid I use Power Pro, mono I use Trilene Big Game, fluoro I use Seaguar and BPS XPS, and one of my newly becoming favorite lines is a copolymer line called Gamma.
Old 05-30-06, 11:04 AM   #18
bayoufisher1
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree Power Pro for Braid, but I prefer 17lb, Original Stren
Just my thoughts
Old 05-30-06, 11:05 AM   #19
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-06, 11:45 AM   #20
Captmikestarrett

Well I was a STREN flouresent man for years as it was the best thing out there. It allowed me to see the bite on the customers rod and I could teach with it real well. Knots where the best and it stretched allot but it would always hook up. It was tangle free and cheap. BUT now I have changed my ways and gone all braid. Berkly fire line or Power Pro depending on application. It works great and lures always come back.

But I will not use braid in the surf... still like mono for that.

Capt Mike
Old 05-30-06, 12:25 PM   #21
Herdbull
BassFishin.Com Member

10lb. Ultra thin / Sensi thin Trilene on all my spinning reels. This is what personally works for me. I tried quite a few and also love Mc Coy line but it comes in dark green and I am a line watcher. At dusk and dawn it virtually disappears and you can't see it.
Herdbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 01:33 PM   #22
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Does power pro work good on spinning reels?
Old 05-30-06, 01:36 PM   #23
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

there is no "best" line.only favorites.
my favorite line is.."is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
power pro and XL and XT do the job fine.
Old 05-30-06, 01:40 PM   #24
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Does power pro work good on spinning reels?
Old 05-30-06, 01:42 PM   #25
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I recently used Gamma line. 17 pound on a curado reel with American Rodsmith rod for worm fishing. So far I really like it. Seems to be very sensitive and easy to work with. I will probably put it on some other rods!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.