Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-08-05, 09:37 PM   #26
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33
Default Re: shimano

I gotta gig him a little Zooker. Heck I can't get him to argue with me anymore.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 05:56 AM   #27
fishforfree
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishforfree

I have two Curado's and they have always worked great
fishforfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 07:52 PM   #28
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1109451005;start=25#26 date=03/09/05 at 05:57:42]IL, When I am flipping, thats the last thing I want to do is to worry about my thumb on the spool.Besides that have you ever accidently engaged the thumbar on a hookset when your thumbing the spool ?It ain't pretty, it 'll bring a whole new vocabulary out than you would normally use. ;D Â*;D P N J[/quote]

I know what you mean P-N-J. The Curados do overrun a bit. But you're still talking $120. I think thats where shimano gets their rep. cuz for $120 thats a heck of a reel. I got a few myself, but for just $20 more you can buy the Curado SF and it's well worth it.
Old 03-10-05, 08:03 PM   #29
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=IL.bassin link=board=news;num=1109451005;start=25#28 date=03/10/05 at 17:52:26]

I know what you mean P-N-J. The Curados do overrun a bit. But you're still talking $120. I think thats where shimano gets their rep. cuz for $120 thats a heck of a reel. I got a few myself, but for just $20 more you can buy the Curado SF and it's well worth it.[/quote]

Dang IL now you open your mouth about that :P I was gonna buy the SF and said no, I hadn't heard anything about them. The salesman didn't seem real knowledgeable, but sure tried to act like he was :P He told me the spool system is a little different, that was about it. What is the biggest difference?

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 10:53 PM   #30
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Well Lizards mechanicaly I couldn't tell you the difference other than the SF has a wiffle spool. You can definately tell the difference when using them though. The SF is a little smoother on the retrieve. It casts farther. It doesn't overrun as bad.

I got a confession to make though. Now this is based only on fishing with the reel 5 times so far but I bought a Team Daiwa Advantage. The ones they sell in Wal-Mart. I'm really liking it. It's $120 and smoother than my Curado. I like the quick adjustability of the brakeing system over the Curado and it's alot more free than the Curado. I don't like it over all more than the Curado SF but it's close.

Dear lord please don't let P-N-J read this :P
Old 03-10-05, 10:57 PM   #31
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

his ears just perked up,lookout he's on your bloodtrail... ;D
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 01:06 AM   #32
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

SNIFF,SNIFF,......You should probably hear footsteps about now!
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 10:03 PM   #33
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

IL,I am thinking like you are ,I have gotta say that any time you can buy a super free spool type, or super tuned or performance tuned reel over a standard reel, you will be alot happier with the choice. I did buy a Curado at Walmart here for $60.00.Thanks Tom,I didn't think I could find one in the area.Luckily I got it sold already,because I just went to bass pro shop and bought 2 more Johnny Morris reels for $99.99 each. :P P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 12:06 AM   #34
RedShad
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RedShad

We all know PnJ likes Daiwa over Shimano. ;D I thought I was the only one who likes(liked) Shimano on the board.
RedShad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 12:13 AM   #35
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=RayWill link=board=news;num=1109451005;start=25#33 date=03/11/05 at 22:06:49]We all know PnJ likes Daiwa over Shimano. ;D I thought I was the only one who likes(liked) Shimano on the board.[/quote]

NOPE. But I also like Quantum 8) spinning reels with their magnetic bail system.

Lizards
Old 03-12-05, 12:15 AM   #36
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Raywill,

I am with ya on the Shimano. I use other equip also.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:00 PM   #37
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=IL.bassin link=board=news;num=1109451005;start=25#29 date=03/10/05 at 20:53:19]Well Lizards mechanicaly I couldn't tell you the difference other than the SF has a wiffle spool. You can definately tell the difference when using them though. The SF is a little smoother on the retrieve. It casts farther. It doesn't overrun as bad.

I got a confession to make though. Now this is based only on fishing with the reel 5 times so far but I bought a Team Daiwa Advantage. The ones they sell in Wal-Mart. I'm really liking it. It's $120 and smoother than my Curado. I like the quick adjustability of the brakeing system over the Curado and it's alot more free than the Curado. I don't like it over all more than the Curado SF but it's close.

Dear lord please don't let P-N-J read this :P[/quote]

Well you convinced me to return the Curado, no not for a Diawa, but for the Curado SF. And it was $30 bucks more, not $20 :P Had to get some more Powerpro anyway, since I just used up my last spool on the other Curado, and that STINKING DAIWA

Lizards
Old 03-12-05, 10:22 PM   #38
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111

does anyone have a crestfire or a callisto?
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 08:48 AM   #39
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards,You will see a difference in the SF spool than the original curado.I think the Shimanos are over priced is all.The service dept.sucked big time,I ain't buying a plastic spool tension knob for $17.00. I was under the impression that the cost of the reel was high because of the design and quality, not because of a plastic spool tension knob costing so much. ;D If you guys are spending $100+ on a reel look at the last years model Johnny Morris reels.They're $99.99 here at bass pro shop, you get alot of reel for the money.They were $149.99 last year, and have the same 6 pin centrifugal weight spring calibrated system as the pluegers have plus 10 bearings for a ultra smooth reel. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 03:48 PM   #40
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have to say that i was getting about 1 year of fishing out of my shimano then it would go to crap after 3 years of paying out 60-90 bucks for one. i said screw it i bought a quantum energy pti 30 series it has served me well for the last 2 years. which it has paid for it self. i think i got it for 130 bucks. she is still a sweet reel that cranks as smooth as butter. i have regreased it and that is about all i have done to it.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 05:38 PM   #41
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

i love daiwa!!!!!
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.