Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-06-05, 03:56 PM   #1
bamabassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bamabassin
Default Senko

never heard of it but have a feelin i will love it!

What?
How much?
Where can I get them?
bamabassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 04:14 PM   #2
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basshunter205
Default Re: Senko

They come in 4" to 6" packs, the 6" only gives you like 5 worms. 5" is like 10 i think. not sure on the amount in a 4". i think at Cabela's they run around $5 or $6 a pack. If you're really serious about wacky rigging them or just weightless texas rigging, spend the money on them. if not, subsitute a YUM Dinger or Wave Worms Tiki Stick.

basshunter205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 06:37 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

senko-waste of money.

tiki stik-same thing, alot cheaper.

the tiki stik is my favorite bait, you can get them just about anywhere they sell fishing tackle.....not sure if bps has them, last time they did not, which is strange Â*??? anyways. stick to the tikis, they are also more durable. and the dipstiks are even better. all tiki products are made by waveworm. they run about $3 bucks. my favorite color of them is the redshad/redbug color. for some reson it isnt in the pic, but it is a great color.

p.s-no, i dont work for them.
heres a pic:

Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 06:51 PM   #4
billy_bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to billy_bass

they come 4inches-about 10 inches and are in my opionion better than any other worms out there the price depends on what brand .i prefer the yum dingers which run you about 3-4 bucks and wal mart has them
billy_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 07:31 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I use Tikis more than anything. I also use YUM Dingers depending on the colors-they are different from Tikis, so I hae a variety of both.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 08:28 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Quote:
senko-waste of money.
I disagree. They may be expensive, but no lure that good is a waste of money.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 08:31 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

well i would like to no why they get destroide so fast on a wacky worm rig.
Old 06-06-05, 08:31 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

but when you can buy just about the same thing, that works better IMO, that is cheaper...then its a waste of money, and i have given the senko a fair chance to. but IME the tiki stik out performs it.
Old 06-06-05, 08:32 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

yo [quote author=jordan09 link=board=news;num=1118084192;start=0#6 date=06/06/05 at 19:31:03]well i would like to no why they get destroide so fast on a wacky worm rig.[/quote]
a senko or tiki stik?
Old 06-06-05, 08:38 PM   #10
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118084192;start=0#2 date=06/06/05 at 17:37:58]senko-waste of money.

tiki stik-same thing, alot cheaper.

[/quote]

I have to disagree too bassfisher02. I know you are more knowledge about bass fishing but when me and PowerBass when fishing together....we compared the senkos and the tiki sticks. Senkos caught the bass 2 to 1 against the tiki stick. Your right, the senko is not durable at all, but u can caught 2 or 3 bass on them until you have to change. The money is not really a problem to me bc a pack will last me 3-5 days and im sure i will work up 6$ in 5 days to buy another pack. Tiki sticks are not as good as senkos in my pond. My bass love the senkos. I dont know how the fish react to the tiki sticks in your pond or lake but my fish go CRAZY over the senkos!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 08:42 PM   #11
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Senkos are just really really soft. they will rip all the time and every time you hook a bass. It will probably rip just from the bass shaking around when hooked. The Tiki stick will rip alittle when in wacky rig but not much. You should be fine in the wacky worm position with a tiki stick but not with a senko.
Old 06-06-05, 08:49 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well, i guess it depends on where you live. down here they always outperform a senko. you only get a week out of a bag of senkos? now i really feel like they are a waste of money. i can get atleast 2 weeks from a bag. and its not like im not catchin bass, because everytime i have gone out i have been getting atleast 4 bass just on the tiki. but i guess it depends on where you are....the money is not a HUGE issue.....i mean i will have like 5 bucks constantly, but i just dont pay $5 for a bag of worms. but i dont have that much money, i dont have a job yet, and i dont get money from my parents all the time, so i like to save up my money, and buy more baits for my buck.
Old 06-06-05, 08:50 PM   #13

My .02 worth. Nobody has mentioned sink rate. The Senko's sink much quicker bacause they are loaded with salt, making them more dense, consequently, they tear apart much easier. Here's a trick if you are wacky rigging them...use a little piece of shrink tubing that fits the worm, slide it to the center, then run your hook through. I can catch several fish before it is rendered useless.
Old 06-06-05, 08:53 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

theres another thing, they sink faster.....not good for my type of fishing. i like the worm to stay in the SZ longer. and the tikis do have a good amount of salt on them...enough to get the job done....i feel like i should be getting payed for this ;D
Old 06-06-05, 09:58 PM   #15
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

This was a very good discussion..... Now we can let the people decide what they like the best!!!
Old 06-06-05, 10:19 PM   #16
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the sink rate on the senko's because i can fish them deeper. Also, i like sinking action when im using them like a fluke. i need to get down farther in the water column. One trick i've learned is to get some rubber orings and put your hook between them and the senko. your senko won't get massacared as bad when that big bass hits it. I myself would rather sacrifice a few more fish per lure if it put more fish in the boat, espeically during a high stakes situation like a tournament.

Old 06-06-05, 10:28 PM   #17
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

now if you have to use a o ring to keep the bait from gettin torn up, i really think they are a waste of money. now they do have weights to get the bait down deeper. and if you want a slow presentation then you take the weight off. if you are using like a fluke, why not just use a fluke? to each his own i guess. anyways...im not tryin to get you guys to change, i think it may work better, but whatever you guys want to use, that is up to you. what may work down here may not work up there so you guys just go ahead and keep using senkos.
Old 06-06-05, 10:35 PM   #18
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

I think sometimes just giving the bass a different look other than a fluke works better. the action is different on a senko when you T-rig it weightless. i've had days when bass refused to eat a super fluke but would hammer a senko or dinger.

Overall, Gary yammamoto is expensive. But i see it like buying expensive rods and reels. They work. you pay that much for a reason. when i hit the water this weekend during my tourney, im not going to care if the plastic im using is 1 dollar a bag or 10 dollars a bag. if that boy is putting fish in the livewell, then im happy as a lark.
Old 06-06-05, 10:40 PM   #19
ketchmorebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ketchmorebass

i usually fish heavy cover in deep lakes and ponds, water on the darker side, and sometimes shallow rivers populated mostly by rock bass, i definatly prefer, and have come to only use tiki stik, i live in massachusetts and also frequently fish southern New Hampshire, i've just had better luck with them, and like mentioned before, there cheaper and more durable
ketchmorebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 10:42 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

yup, im sure you are gettin what you pay for. it just works better up there. like i said, if i buy a bag of tikis for 3.50 or so, im getting more fish then a bag of senkos for 5.50 or so. so i guess it really depends on the area you fish.
Old 06-06-05, 10:55 PM   #21
largemouth76
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to largemouth76

I know you guys have beat this to death before, but how do you fish them. I know most people say weightless T-rigged, but how do you work it? I have tried to fish them this way a couple of times, but just can't find the patience. Let alone, when I do get a bite I have so much slack in my line that the fish just eats my lunch before I can catch up to it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
largemouth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:45 PM   #22
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=kkparks_3 link=board=news;num=1118084192;start=0#20 date=06/06/05 at 21:55:22]I know you guys have beat this to death before, but how do you fish them. I know most people say weightless T-rigged, but how do you work it? I have tried to fish them this way a couple of times, but just can't find the patience. Let alone, when I do get a bite I have so much slack in my line that the fish just eats my lunch before I can catch up to it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin[/quote]

Try a Mojo rig on the senko's. It goes through vegetation really well. Just peg the mojo weight anywhere from 6'-12' from the hook. Just drag it, don't hop it.

Also for all of you folks using senko's or knockoffs, go get some Pro's Soft Bait glue, and glue it to the hook. It helps save them some what, at least from just falling off. You can also t-rig them, and as most of you have stated wacky rig them. Just like any bait they are better fished around cover and structure. The fall rate can be changed by different brand, and sizes of hooks. Or as JackL likes to do, put a insert weight in them. The o-rings, or old tubes work well also. It is a fantastic bait, but it doesn't really take a good bass fisherman to catch fish on them. That's why so many people love them. Hey they will catch fish, and so why not use them. There really isn't a bad way to fish these baits. But if you whole issue on using a senko, vs a knockoff is the fall rate, use the insert weights, or coat hangers. I have fished a knock off, the Bummer Worms http://www.bigbagbaits.com next to the senko, and the bummer outfished the senko. Bu it could have been just that the fish were exactly where the bait was, or the slight color difference ??? I believe the Yum Dingers are the closest to the senko, unless of course you think Kinami is a different make up.(Yamamoto's son's bait company), which are really as close as it comes to the original. Anywhere from deadsticking to a fast twitching, to mojo rigging will work, depending on the fishes activity level. When the end becomes torn, cut it off and rehook it, till it's just too small. And if you're really into saving money, then glue 2 smaller ones back together with the glue. But I have said it before, if it catches fish, then it's worth the money. Reb and 02 love the tikis, I like them all. But senko was the original stick worm and does work. But I believe the original stick bait was the Slug-O.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 12:28 AM   #23
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

pfft yall go weeks on bags? i buy 2 bags of tikki sticks for a trip comback without any left ZIP my fish f#&kin evil tho the ones about .5 of a pound jus grap it and shakes it to pieces from tail and the big 1s rip it in half when they hit if they dont when i set hook i rip it i can usualy catch 1-2 fish a stick but i catch em as fast as i can stick em on there i took my clicker with me 2day i caught 36 in my pond on a tikki stick in 2 anda half hours
most only 1-2 lbs but i had maybe half a dozen round 4 and a 8 lber

wieghtless texas rig on the silver tikki stick fishin off bank
ive noticed most pple dont use propper gear with wieghtless worms if they use them at all
u need clear line and a long limber rod
u need the limberness to get the action and a 5'6 rod aint long enough cuz if its medium u dont get a good hook set because there is alot of slack in the line if ur fishing jerk bait style i use a 7 foot medium spinner with17 lb spider wire xxx mono super clear
i cant make the tail whip on that bait that seems to be the perfect kick on it ive drawn fish out of the shallows into 10 foot water from 10 yards away with it saw the fish dart out of water less than a foot deep and come across top to slam it use a limber rod with it it will give it more action and u will catch more fish also MUCH easier to catch
also with my gamakatsu it has a PERFECT FALL its 4/0
its slow and i can fast switch upto a tree top and stop it and WHAM there it is almost every time
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 12:38 AM   #24
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

have any of yall used those fat senko replicas? There about as thick as 3 or 4 senkos side by side and about 10 inches long. IF yall know where to get any, let me know.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 12:42 AM   #25
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Do you know who makes them? Closest thing I've seen to that is a BPS Stick-O, but they aren't that big-7 inches I think, and I'm not sure they still make the bigger ones anymore.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.