Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-11, 07:30 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default gimic or asset?

I am real anal about knot tying. Started fishing floro with Vanish and always felt the line breakage was due to knot tying (doing it wrong). I now know it's crap line but then I was always trying to tie better knots as the solution. Anyway I stumbled across this do hicke and I want input. Also this site has some pretty good deals on owner hooks. Here's the link:

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Fing...er%20rings.htm
And what do you think of the Miller knot and the other knot on the video?
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 08:13 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hmmm. Not a bad idea. The thing is, I don't remember ever cutting my fingers with line while tying a knot. I can definately see using it though when trying to pull a lure free from a snag. It could make for a strong knot if it helps sinch it down tighter, but I've never really had a problem with that. I can see myself in a boat retying lures and frantically looking around wondering where I put that ring. I can't see myself getting much use out of it.
Old 11-11-11, 09:37 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Finger Saver - This is a neat tool, and I do own one. I don't use it as often as I thought I would, but it does what it's supposed to. The main thing I use it for is tying leaders on to thin braid. Braid, since it is so strong compared to it's diameter, cuts skin much easier than mono or FC. This really does help in tying line to line knots like shown in the vid.

Alberto Knot - This is the line to line knot shown in the video, and the main line to line knot I use now. It is a great knot that I've only had one problem with. I just can't seem to get it to work in lower test lines (10lb braid to 6-8lb FC). For those, I still use the Uni-To-Uni knot.

Miller Knot - Another good knot and once I use quite last fall and this spring. However, I'm now using a Modified Uni Knot almost exclusively (even on braid). It's basically a Uni knot, but the line wraps around the eye of the hook twice. For mono and FC, use 4-5 turns around your loops, and 8-10 for braid (You'll see what I mean if you look up how to tie it). In the video, it's hard to tell exactly what they're doing with the Miller Knot, so look it up online if you want to learn it. It's a modified version of the Improved Clinch, and just about as fast to tie.

BB
Old 11-11-11, 11:03 AM   #4
nofearengineer

I have never used one, but now that I'm giving braid-to-fluoro on a drop shot rig a try, I might. I miss my callouses from playing guitar.
Old 11-11-11, 11:24 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

I think it would look better on a rod.
Old 11-11-11, 11:51 AM   #6
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

I never think twice about my knots. I just tie and cast. Never been cut by line before. I have no doubt that it would work if you wanted to pull your knots tighter or if you had sensitive skin or something but I don't really see a need in general. Its hard enough keeping up with my scissors. lol

I use 5 knots total:

Palomar Knot - used 90% of the time
Trilene Knot - used on lighter lines due to 100% breaking power
Snell Knot - used with sliding weights to prevent knot wear
Double Uni Knot - used to join 2 lines together no matter type or lb
Non Slip Loop Knot - used on all my topwater baits for uninhibited action

I use 50lb & 65lb Spiderwire braid, 8lb, 10lb, 15lb Seaguar Fluorcarbon & 12lb Suffix mono. I have absolutely no issues with breaks. I'm 98% efficient with retrieving my lures if hung up but will break line intentionally if needed.

Last edited by Handlebars; 11-11-11 at 11:56 AM.
Handlebars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 12:52 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I think it would look better on a rod.
Where's the thumbs up. Wait, that's FB. +1 to Pancake
Old 11-11-11, 02:47 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Should be called the Panzi Tool. Real men don't use a tool to do a knot, well maybe NFE used his tool to do a knot hole, back in his tree hugger days............... but c'mon you can't tie a decent know bare handed? That ranks right up there with the tool to put a grommet on a senko for wacky rigging, or a special pair of pliers to open split rings - opps, I have a pair of them, but I can do it without them & without much difficulty either.

Poor NFE, soft hands pal? Maybe you just use HAND LOTION too often.

If you need a tool to finish off a knot, so be it. I just think some of the "tools" being marketed to anglers are getting just a wee bit crazy.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 06:20 PM   #9
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like the idea of that tool saw it and have been meaning to oder one. BigBassin that’s my problem too. I run 6 to 10 pound performance braid and I’m worried about that to. I have been using power pro and seaguar red fluorocarbon with a surgeons knot and never had it fail….but now I have to try it with 6 or 10lb test with 10-6lb fluorocarbon….i hope it works.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.