Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-11, 10:21 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Different View

I know we already discussed fall fishing but I do not remember anything being said like this:

You see there is a old belief that comes into play this time of year. That belief is the big bass start to prepare for the spawn in November, hence by feeding and filling their bellies they are preparing for next years spawn now before they become dormant in the cold of the winter.

The catching part is this. The bigger fish move to the water that is less than a foot and find the easy prey bait and feed several hours of the day until they are just stuffed. This goes on until the cold weather has set in. This is the only time of year outside of the spawn that the big fish move this shallow, and its all about them preparing for the spawn early, feeding and getting ready for the winter cold.
The opportunity is that you can get your traditional hollow belly frog or rat out and find those areas and work it slowly over this icky area and find these big females preparing for the spawn, up-coming winter and feeding. When you do you get a monster blow-up and if you're skilled enough you can catch a trophy bass. The down side is you are fishing probably for a few bites so numbers are down, But rewards for that trophy fish is high. You can catch a 25 plus pound stringer in this period and reap some big tournament rewards. As is always the case there are a number of ways to get this big bite by hitting these shallow areas. Not only will the rat produce but so will a Fluke, swim bait, buzz bait and other similar pattern baits work. You just need to pick your favorite, bring patience, work slow and stay alert, as your trophy bite could be the next blow-up

Now, I fish till the water turns solid and I shorefish and I have never experienced bass moving into the shallows in Nov. Maybe Sept. or sometimes even Oct. but never November. Now this guys a guide on Guntersville and I'm from Wisconsin and I know climates are different but still, top water frog fishing?
Ok, what do you think but if your avitar dosn't state where your from please tell cause I got a feeling LOCATION is going to play a big part of this dilemma.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 11:34 AM   #2
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The further south you go, the earlier the spawn. If the fish are in a feeding mood, they'll hit almost anything.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 01:10 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Joe I think its a matter of latitude, water temps & clarity, forage, lake management (or lack of), lake contours, water flow dynamics (tidal system-impoundment-lake-pond). I spent the first 30 years fishing the shallow weed choked waters of S Ga and N Fla (anything deeper than 10-12' was an abyss). These ponds and lakes were loaded with E. Milfoil and mussells, so the water was extremely clear but very fertile. Normally when you think of fertile water you think of greenish stained (by algae blooms--the neccesary basic element of the food chain) water, but the milfoil and mussells kept the water both clear and fertile at the same time ( a widely discussed topic thats the subject of another thread). In those shallow weedy southern lakes(ponds) the water rarely got below 45-48 deg. and a frog or any topwater rig was always on deck. Up here in the carolinas the water can sometimes get in the high 30's and 30' depths are not uncommon. In the 15 years I've been up here I've noticed a more vertical thing. These fish do actually spend most of the winter deep but will move up a vertical contour or vertical structure to feed suprisingly shallow. Example: a particular 100 acre manmade lake I fish is 30' deep at the dam and gradually gets shallow at a fairly consistant 45 deg. angle. At both ends of the dam there are little 1-2 acre flats (emergency spillways) about 3-4' deep. These flats have lots of Christmas tree brushpiles. When those deep fish need to eat they don't (won't) run 1/2 mile horizontally to the shallow end they simply move up and over a few yards to get a snack. Of course I don't know anything about what goes on way up north where you're at but I think thinking vertically will pay off.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 11-13-11 at 01:28 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 02:29 PM   #4
bassinbob

It happened to me last sunday. All I can say is I wish I had a camera with me.
Old 11-13-11, 03:05 PM   #5
lilmule

I think in northern locations no not feeding up for spawn until about ice out,nov in fla maybe as they have several spawns,and or an earlier spawn lets say.
In pa and in wis is more like a fall feedup,due to lower temps more acceptable for shallow feeding and afterward wont occur again in numbers till ice out,once it occurs.
Ive tossed a rattletrap on shelf ice just as it was breaking up(ohio) and yes got hammered ,it was after all thawing and in a westerly bay where the sun was shining.
Im located by ky lake and it does not ice up all over,havnt put the boat up yet as 58 f water,just to dang windy to suit me or id be out today-about 40 mph.
While the bass do move back out (not yet here) saugeye and yellow perch are shallow in the winter and tend to take up residence in crappie stakebeds about 2 ft deep.
Bass are still shallow here anyway,but soon that will change,all things change.
But I dont look for a spring spawn feedup till its warming again not falling.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 03:09 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
It happened to me last sunday. All I can say is I wish I had a camera with me.
IT ???

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.