Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-03-04, 07:13 PM   #26
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: What can you add???? Bank Fishing...

Pack a Wal-Mart bag in your back pocket and take out more litter than you brought in....
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 07:22 PM   #27
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

If you enjoy wading, wear lightweight cotton pants...less drag if current is present.

If the bottom is rocky and therefore slippery, take an old pair of sneakers and glue carpeting on the bottoms using liquid nails.

Â* Â* Â*Cut the carpet to shape after tracing, but before cutting, make the toe area longer by three inches. Â*Apply the glue to the back of the carpet, line up the heel and tie on with rags.....wrap the elongated carpet toe up and over the toe of the shoe and tie with rag until dry...protects your toes if slipping and stumbling.
Â* Â* Â*It's not necessary to have a long napped carpet as short nap holds surprisingly well, but if you do go with long, it really gives you extra cushion while on dry land.

Â*I kept slipping with lug soles on my waders until I glued carpet on them also.
Old 02-04-04, 09:06 AM   #28
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

In fishing creeks and rivers, quite often when a creek joins a larger creek or river, the smaller creek or river deposits sand and debris during high water times....often, when the sand and debris hit the bigger, slower waters, they are deposited in the larger body just downstream from the opening.....making a sweeping sand bar. These provide good feeding areas for larger fish. Make extra casts to the down river area off the downstream point of the feeding creek.

Old 02-04-04, 09:11 AM   #29
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Humble crawdads, the ones who shyly tuck the claws together in a submissive weak pose are more likely to catch fish. They resemble the softshells, the ones that have just molted and are weak, the favorite meal for smallmouth and largemouth. Tender and too tired to fight back. I always thought the Rebel line of wee and tiny craws were made because of being easier to mold in one single lump......but the reasoning is that the manufacturers know what they are doing, at least in this case. I learned about the claws on riversmallies.com from a fellow who has his own fly tying business, Jim Hester......very informed fellow.

Old 02-04-04, 09:18 AM   #30
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

When fishing any object in current, it's good if you can fish behind the object where fish often wait for drifting prey, but also be sure before leaving the object fish in front as well, there is a hydraulic cushion in front and sometimes fish will hang there. Then, lastly....cast a couple that hit the object and fall dead into the water.
Old 02-04-04, 09:27 AM   #31
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't know the validity of this one, but a couple fellows on tv took kitchen step ladders wading with them into a lake......when the water got fairly high on the waders, they set up the ladders ( the kind with the two steps and the bar ) and fished from them. This got them up higher for fly rod casting distance and on a warming day in cold water would help. NOT TO BE USED IN CURRENT, THAT'S FOR SURE....
Old 02-04-04, 10:06 AM   #32
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Bank fishing in my speculation would be harder on mono line than boat fishing concerning picking up dirt and organic materials. I suggest cleaning it several times in a season by casting it out on the grass and when reeling in, apply armor all with a small, but saturated rag. Not only cleans the line, but lubricates it as it shoots through the eyes. Also a great idea to apply armor all with a q-tip to the eyes, cleaning them as well.

I clean mine twice a season and could probably go to three times.
Old 02-04-04, 10:22 AM   #33
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

This is pertaining to hard baits in general....not necessarily bank fishing...but good to note....

If you lose a fish on a hard bait......three things you can do...... 1. Sharpen the hooks 2. Mash the barbs just a bit for better penetration 3. Add an extra split ring between the hook and body...the fish will have a more difficult time getting leverage from the lure body when thrashing about and trying to throw.
Old 02-04-04, 03:35 PM   #34
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: What can you add???? Bank Fishing...HELP NEEDE

When fishing small grubs on leadhead jigs, try rigging sideways, that is wacky rigged on the jig. It slows the lure a touch on retrieve and makes a commotion, both visual and audible underwater giving the fish a little more to home in on.
Old 02-04-04, 10:45 PM   #35
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

A general fishing tipl.....jig and pig

When using plastic jig trailers, after placing on the hook, run a toothpick through the plastic just in front of the bend of the hook and when it sticks out the other side break it off. Just a little insurance that makes it much harder to tear off.....
Old 02-05-04, 07:43 PM   #36
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Whatever you do in hot weather, sports, hiking, walking, fishing.......drink liquids before you get thursty. If you let youself get really thursty, you are already dehydrated.

If you are within casting distance of obstructions in the water when fishing, try to bounce off the stumps or run into them, same goes for bridge pilings, ledges, other banks, etc.
Old 12-23-04, 12:45 AM   #37
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Mac10 link=board=news;num=1075392491;start=25#35 date=02/05/04 at 17:43:05]Whatever you do in hot weather, sports, hiking, walking, fishing.......drink liquids before you get thursty. If you let youself get really thursty, you are already dehydrated.

If you are within casting distance of obstructions in the water when fishing, try to bounce off the stumps or run into them, same goes for bridge pilings, ledges, other banks, etc.[/quote]

Just bumping this up, took me awhile to find it, but one of the better shore fishing posts we've had.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 12:55 AM   #38
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I was wondering who dug this one up. Good idea, Lizards!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 10:06 AM   #39
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

make sure you wear a good pair of shoes . one with cleated soles,. offer good support and can stand to get wet. plus carry dry socks and a dry shoes you can change into when you get done fishing
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.