Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-27-06, 06:00 PM   #1
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default i need alot of "real" help!!!

ive been looking for a while now for a new reel.i am having trouble picking.can you guys help?i went on the BPS site loking for a quality but inexpensive reel.by inexpensive i mean $100 and under.the reason is that i want to save money for college..i think i am going to choose between the:bps extreme,bps extreme lite,bps tourney special,bps rick clunn signature series,daiwa procaster pt100-4bi tournament,quantum KVD signature series,or a shimano cruxis.as you can see,i need to narrow down the search.do you guys have any experience with any of these reels?i am also open for suggestions or recommendations!!!
thanks,
BF

BTW,I chose the st. croix premier medium power fast action model number pc66mf.thanks flyrod and everyone else for their suggestions!!!
Old 06-27-06, 06:30 PM   #2
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wow that's alot of choices. Were you able to go somewhere to handle all of them? I know you can't check much but the feel in your palm and the anti-reverse, but you may be able to discern a difference from that. I don't have experience with any of those reels exept the Daiwa procaster. I have mostly Daiwas with the exception of one cheap Quantum 400cx or something like that. I would NOT reccommend the procaster. I have found that with Daiwas, there is a huge difference between the quality of the pricepoints. IE.. I think you have to spend over 150.00 for a Daiwa to be a good choice. Definately don't base your decision on my advise though, cause a reel is a very subjective thing. Try to look for all metal bodies to reduce flex on the gears, and metal drag starwheels and spool tension adjustment knobs over plastic. That's what I would base my decision on. Also believe it or not handle grips play a big part in reel performance for me. The flatter/wider/softer the better.
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 06:54 PM   #3
ToPwAt'R GuY

The rick clunn series is good.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 07:47 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I just got a Shimano Cruxis and I like it a lot. I have only used it twice so far though. The quick access to the centrifugal brakes is nice. I set it up with 40lb. Power Pro and have been using it with jigs and frogs. It is my first low profile bait caster (have a couple round ones).
I wanted a Quantum PT Burner, just didn't have $200 to shell out.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 07:54 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to use only BPS Extremes until a buddy gave me a Team Daiwa 153HST(thanks again, Flyrod! ). The Daiwa is a little out of your price range, but the Extreme isn't and it is a great reel. I've been very pleased with the performance of both.
Old 06-27-06, 09:55 PM   #6
bassinbob

Senko check out Dick's. They might have a Curado (old model) reduced for around a hundred dollars. The one here where I live has them.

Bob
Old 06-27-06, 10:13 PM   #7
HulaPopr

Forget the shimanos. A cheap shimano will wear out faster than anything else. BPS Extreme is a smooth reel that will weather pretty well. Quantums ain't bad either. But I'd have to say go with a daiwa, or I STRONGLY recommend a pflueger reel. The pflueger echelon at $60 performs as well as any $100 reel and pfluegers will last long too. A Trion is $100, ain't a bad reel either. I have used all these brands of reels and many are pretty good. But I'd defenitely recommend pfluegers or daiwas when you're looking to keep it in the low price range.

Last edited by HulaPopr; 06-27-06 at 10:20 PM.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 10:17 PM   #8
flamez

im pretty sure i have the lite extreme model the one with the really long serial identification thingy really smooth can cast a fluke a mile i have that quantum you got m cress its a TG400CX ive had that thing for almost 3 years now frames cracked and what not but still in perfect working order
Old 06-27-06, 10:43 PM   #9
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez
im pretty sure i have the lite extreme model the one with the really long serial identification thingy really smooth can cast a fluke a mile i have that quantum you got m cress its a TG400CX ive had that thing for almost 3 years now frames cracked and what not but still in perfect working order
Yeah thats the one. Now that you mention it maybe I shouldn't have called it cheap. I've had mine for a long time now and there is nothing wrong with it. It's just sat by the wayside as I bought more expensive reels. Did that Quantum even have a model name back then? I don't remember it and it's not on the reel itself. I think it was just a model number. Do you guys remember when Quantum was just ZEBCOs' high end models?
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 11:22 PM   #10
flfireman

I have 7-8 BPS extreme reels in varying gear ratios. Have had 0 problems w/ them. One of them is 6-7 years old and has been beaten to death, still works like new.
Old 06-28-06, 11:28 AM   #11
senko

so no procaster.with the extremes,would you get the lite or regular?
Old 06-28-06, 01:20 PM   #12
senko

ive narrowed it down to the rick clunn series,extreme,extreme lite,pflueger echleon(spelling?),shimano callisto ,and a kvd series.can you guys narrow it down even more?

thanks,
BF

Last edited by senko; 06-28-06 at 01:29 PM.
senko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 01:35 PM   #13
HulaPopr

Don't go w/ the shimano callisto, the high-end more expensive shimanos are ok, but the cheap ones will break down after one season. Other than that, what do you plan on using the reel for? If you're not looking to only throw light lures on it, I wouldn't go w/ the extreme lite. Also I'm not sure about the Rick Clunn series, I don't really know if many people have experience w/ it, I've never used it. Other than that all the reels you're looking at are good all around. I'd say just go to BPS and try a few different reels till you find whats best. Just go with what feels good, you won't get disappointed by any of those reels.
Old 06-28-06, 03:04 PM   #14
senko

ok im down to the:Pflueger echelon,KVD series,Rick Clunn series,and the BPS extreme.well now im getting somewhere.any more suggestions?

thanks,
BF
Old 06-28-06, 03:11 PM   #15
flfireman

My buddy has a Rick Clunn, Ive used it. To me is no different than the extreme. The pflueger's I haven't tried the new ones. The BPS extreme's used to be a pflueger in BPS clothing. However they changed makers for this year. Not sure who it is now. Still feel the extreme is a overall above average reel for the cost. The gear selections are popular and the size and dependability are great. Im a little slanted towards them, since I own a few of them.
Old 06-28-06, 03:38 PM   #16
senko

would you go with the wide spool,high speed,or flippin switch on the extreme?
Old 06-28-06, 04:49 PM   #17
flamez

depends do you do any flipping ide go for the high speed reel my bps extreme has a ratio of only 5.2 its not always a problem but sometimes them fish will charge at you so fast they get slack line the extremes are SILKY smooth i can cast a fluke a mile on 15lb test did i also mention that they are
SILKY SMOOTH!!
Old 06-28-06, 04:51 PM   #18
senko

ok,so either the pflueger echelon,KVD series,Rick Clunn series,or a high-speed extreme.im leaning towards the echelon,but need more input.

thanks,
BF
Old 06-28-06, 05:53 PM   #19
pig n jig

You had better get what you like.Your spending the money and you are the one who will be using it.I have 4 of the Daiwa procaster 6+1 reels .They have been excellent reels for me.I took them in on trade in towards different reels I was selling.I gave 1 to a member on this board when he bought a flipping stick from me. In my opinion, it would be difficult to find a better reel, but thats my opinion, not yours.I also have used reels all of the time for sale. It can save you some money and I will stand behind any reel that I sell.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 06:04 PM   #20
senko

thanx pnj the procaster looked like a good reel and i know people who like it.i think i will get either that or the echelon.which one do you guys think is a better all around reel?thnks,BF
Old 06-28-06, 06:19 PM   #21
HulaPopr

I guarantee that you won't be disappointed with either reel. If you're going to BPS, then try them both out there. They're great reels for a great price. Heck, there have been times when I liked two reels so much it came down to stuff like color, just choose whichever you feel is best.
Old 06-28-06, 06:26 PM   #22
senko

i would do that,but there isnt a BPS by me.i go on the site.the good news is they are supposed to build a big BPS 3 miles away from my house!!!!!!it is supossed to be done by 2007,but i think it will take longer.
Old 06-28-06, 06:50 PM   #23
zooker

i used to use strictly quatums till recently. then i made a change to my fishing style-not buy choice-the newest reel on my rods is a team diawa advantage. but i have 2 newer pflugher trion's. i still use my quatums energy pt's and mag gears just not as much as i used to..

want to thank bassenforcer for the "enlightenment" and turned me to the left side..

zooker
Old 06-28-06, 07:03 PM   #24
JB

your wrist ever heal or are ya permanently gimped?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 07:13 PM   #25
zooker

still hurts like hell every time i try to roll cast.. had to go back to straight up casting or pitching. i can get by with a slider style cast with no pain.i can NEVER again rotate my left hand up-think throttlin down with a moter cycle-i can not flex my wrist straight up -it pulls to the side-i can NEVER again lock my left wrist..

this is what happens when you tear tendons and ligaments..very little pain at normal use unless i try to pick up something REAL heavy with it.. roll casting is about the only thing it effects while fishing.. helps switching to lefty reels also..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.