Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-12-12, 12:41 PM   #26
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JJ's Magic for me
Old 02-13-12, 08:06 PM   #27
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i have fished for the better part of my 59 years here on this earth. in that time, i have had many fisherman sit in my boat and try to prove to me that power bait, fish attractants and so forth catch more fish. i have not had a one of them catch more fish than me, and i know for a fact that i am not that good of a fisherman. the add ons, if they do one thing for you is that they make your lure slicker, so, you do a better job of setting the hook because you can move the hook easier. this is because the slicker bait is harder for the fish to clamp down on. because people that get better hook up ratios using the oily mess, they incorrectly correlate it with the fish holding on better, when in all actuality they are doing a better job of moving the hook on the hook set. one will catch more fish concentrating on fishing the correct depth at the correct speed to induce a strike rather than depending on attracting the fish by scent. if one is so hung up on scent, why not just go to the real thing, and use live bait!!
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 08:29 PM   #28
joedog

Default This is what I do! Works for ME!

Paste

The paste method originated centuries ago in the murky jungles of the Cambodian back country. All you need is five large fresh fish, a large bucket, and a paintbrush. Make sure the fish are de-scaled and gutted (cleaning optional). Then, throw the fish into the bucket and stomp underfoot them like you would grapes (this is a great way for your feet to get a head start on smelling like fish). Crush them and grind them until they rue the day they ever set fin in the Gulf of Thailand. Leave them out in the sun for a day and then the pasting may begin. Take your paintbrush and dip it in the paste. Make nice, broad strokes across your body. Be sure to use your angle brush so you can get all the crevices. Get a nice, even coat going, not too thick, but not so thin that it will come off in the rain. Success! You now smell like fish.

Spray

While the paste method can provide some work to take your mind off the day as well as an outlet for creative expression, some people just don't have the time to go through the process. That's why in 1941 some Norwegian guy invented the aersol spray can. In 1989, Fish-in-a-Can was invented, making it easier than ever to get authentic fish smell any time. Unfortunately, Fish-in-a-Can was discontinued in 1990 due to poor sales and grievous health code violations, making it far harder to acquire. You can buy Fish-in-a-Can on eBay, but bidding wars often drive the price into triple digits. Your best bet is to find an empty spray bottle, such as a Windex bottle, and a blender. Put the prepared fish in the blender and set it to liquefy. Then pour it into the bottle, twist on the spray cap, and spray it all over your body. It may be hard to get an even coat on your own; try hiring a homeless person to do it for you.

Smelling like a fish can save you a bundle on marriage therapy.

Rub

Then there's the old stand-by: rubbing yourself with a fish. Go to the nearest open-air market and find the absolute freshest fish available. If you have the time, you can even fish for them yourselves. Now, make sure the fish is still slimy and wet. The slimier, the better. Also, the deader the better. Take a fish in one hand and rub it all over yourself as if it were a bar of soap. Scrub all about and try to work up a nice lather. Once you're nice and covered, let yourself dry. Soon, you've got yourself a natural, unadulterated fish scent-sation.

WARNING: Be careful which fish you try this method with. Lionfish, for instance, have poisonous spines, so only experts should attempt to rub themselves with lionfish. Porcupine fish are definitely not a good fish to rub oneself with. Remoras have powerful suckers and may stick onto you. If you are unable to dislodge them, they will stay there, and after a few days, you will no longer smell a bit like fish, you will smell a lot like fish. And you'd have to be a little odd to want to smell a lot like fish. We recommend a dead flounder for the best fishy smell.

Hope it can work for someone else!
Old 02-15-12, 01:07 AM   #29
james86

What about the UV sprays and such. Do any of you swear by that stuff? I want to try it but it seems kind of like snake oil to me.
Old 02-15-12, 08:44 AM   #30
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by james86 View Post
What about the UV sprays and such. Do any of you swear by that stuff? I want to try it but it seems kind of like snake oil to me.
James the UV sprays are a brain child of Mr. Clunn. He supposedly came up with the idea during the same night of psycillicybin induced clarity of thought that he discovered the hydrodynamic sound emitting plugs. According to RC both are most effective when used during lunar noon while wearing a tin foil beenie and a clove of garlic in your left pocket and humming the tune from mission impossible or the jaws theme
Old 02-16-12, 12:27 AM   #31
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
James the UV sprays are a brain child of Mr. Clunn. He supposedly came up with the idea during the same night of psycillicybin induced clarity of thought that he discovered the hydrodynamic sound emitting plugs. According to RC both are most effective when used during lunar noon while wearing a tin foil beenie and a clove of garlic in your left pocket and humming the tune from mission impossible or the jaws theme
well stated
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.