Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-31-11, 07:00 AM   #26
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Updating A Lowrance Unit

Todd I have a LCX-113CHD. Is there any way to update it to a DSI. Could a card be inserted in one of the 2 ports, a different transducer, or whatever to change it over. Do not want to change units as I really love that huge screen. Thanks.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 02:13 PM   #27
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Todd I have a LCX-113CHD. Is there any way to update it to a DSI. Could a card be inserted in one of the 2 ports, a different transducer, or whatever to change it over. Do not want to change units as I really love that huge screen. Thanks.
No. To get the Lowrance downscan technology, we offer the Mark/Elite DSI-only stand-alone units. Of course, with the HDS lineup and the LSS StructureScan, you get both downscan and sidescan.
Old 02-01-11, 09:23 PM   #28
mike234

Todd, is there a DSI unit with a screen size near my LCX-113CHD.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 11:09 PM   #29
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

In terms of stand-alone DSI, no, the Mark/Elite are only 5 inch screens.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...-Elite-Series/

The HDS-10 has the same size screen as the 113. With the addition of StructureScan you would have both downscan and sidescan. Plus, with HDS you have the ability to network with NMEA 2000 and Ethernet.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...nition-System/
Old 02-17-11, 12:34 AM   #30
nikldac
BassFishin.Com Member

Question

Hi Todd,
I've ordered a new Phoenix 721 and have included the HDS10, HDS8 and LSS1 for it. I'm a little confused over the mapping options. I prefer to avoid dealing with Navionics, if at all possible. My question would be: Would you recommend the HDS w/ Insight, or the HDS base and purchase the Insight maps. If I go with HDS10 with Insight- will I be offered the updated insight maps for the unit? I mostly fish southern IL, Ky Lake and will be taking a trip or two to Guntersville, Wilson Lake and Pickwick in AL.
nikldac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 10:24 AM   #31
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Personally, I would go with embedded Insight. When you get your boat/units, check the Insight version - current version is 3.6 - check at Menu, Menu, System, About. If the version is less than 3.6, call CS to get a free mapping card. If you require this free card, you must keep it in the unit (i.e., not an actual transferred update to unit, unit reads from the updated card).
Old 02-17-11, 12:23 PM   #32
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nikl, I think the important thing here is what is the price difference between getting the embedded Insight maps vs. purchasing them. If the difference is small, I would purchase them separately, as the embedded ones can't be moved to another fishfinder should you decide at some point to change (been known to happen...check the web ).
Old 02-17-11, 10:53 PM   #33
1600TF
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Transducer question - shoot thru or transom mounted skimmer

Hi Todd.

I have an older fiberglass 1989 tracker bass boat that i believe has some wood in the construction of the boat, im pretty sure there's wood stringers too. I am trying to install an HD5 in my boat.

Do you think i would be able to get away with using a shoot thru the hull pod style transducer instead of mounting a skimmer style on back of the transom?

I know that manual doesn't recommend trying to shoot through any fiberglass style boats with any sort of sandwiched construction , but was wondering if you know of anyone who has successfullly mounted this shoot thru style in a boat similar to mine and have it all working properly.

Let me know thanks.
1600TF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:58 AM   #34
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600TF View Post
Hi Todd.

I have an older fiberglass 1989 tracker bass boat that i believe has some wood in the construction of the boat, im pretty sure there's wood stringers too. I am trying to install an HD5 in my boat.

Do you think i would be able to get away with using a shoot thru the hull pod style transducer instead of mounting a skimmer style on back of the transom?

I know that manual doesn't recommend trying to shoot through any fiberglass style boats with any sort of sandwiched construction , but was wondering if you know of anyone who has successfullly mounted this shoot thru style in a boat similar to mine and have it all working properly.

Let me know thanks.
I would call Tracker Marine regarding your hull material. No, I would not recommend installing as shoot-thru if you have a "sandwiched" hull.
Old 02-18-11, 10:00 AM   #35
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have Network question.. will the harness for the Mercury Optimax ever be available or am I stuck with Mercury Smartgauges forever?

I have a complete network right now with GPS and two multiguages and a radio with DSC all hooked up Fuel monitors and soon a depth finder on the network as well.

I so do not want to install Smart Gauges just to get engine codes..

Capt Mike
Old 02-18-11, 09:32 PM   #36
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Haha! You guys are keeping Todd busy!

Welcome to the site, Todd. This is really a great thing you're doing here!
Old 02-21-11, 01:31 PM   #37
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I have Network question.. will the harness for the Mercury Optimax ever be available or am I stuck with Mercury Smartgauges forever?

I have a complete network right now with GPS and two multiguages and a radio with DSC all hooked up Fuel monitors and soon a depth finder on the network as well.

I so do not want to install Smart Gauges just to get engine codes..

Capt Mike
Mike, no doubt I agree it's needed, but that's a question for the folks at Mercury.
Old 02-21-11, 01:31 PM   #38
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Haha! You guys are keeping Todd busy!

Welcome to the site, Todd. This is really a great thing you're doing here!
thanks, here to help
Old 02-22-11, 08:52 AM   #39
syd

Default Another Todd question

Todd, i have an 18ft Bass tracker. i have the 520 model on the boat already. I cannot affford the 2500.00 or so for a DSI type unit. But i recently got a sales paper that has the Humminbird 570DI and the Lowrance Mark-5X DSI. I have read what little i can find on both units. Couple of questions.
1-Are there ports for any cards on the unit/ Would any additional mapping technolgy be needed to purchase?
2- I saw in above reply i probably cannot do shoot thru hull mounting so would probably put it on front of boat.
3- Last could you give me some reasons to get the Lowrance instead of the Humminbird.
Any input greatly apprecated.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 09:28 AM   #40
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
Todd, i have an 18ft Bass tracker. i have the 520 model on the boat already. I cannot affford the 2500.00 or so for a DSI type unit. But i recently got a sales paper that has the Humminbird 570DI and the Lowrance Mark-5X DSI. I have read what little i can find on both units. Couple of questions.
1-Are there ports for any cards on the unit/ Would any additional mapping technolgy be needed to purchase?
2- I saw in above reply i probably cannot do shoot thru hull mounting so would probably put it on front of boat.
3- Last could you give me some reasons to get the Lowrance instead of the Humminbird.
Any input greatly apprecated.
I'll try on this one:
1) No, it's down scan only, no GPS, no need for mapping. You would need to get the Elite-5DSI to have down scan and GPS (then you could add a mapping card)
2) I would still find a way to mount it on the back of the boat. I would think that it would be easier/better to drive the boat and look for structure then stand on the TM and look for structure.
3) Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan........ You pick.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 02:58 PM   #41
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I'll try on this one:
1) No, it's down scan only, no GPS, no need for mapping. You would need to get the Elite-5DSI to have down scan and GPS (then you could add a mapping card)
2) I would still find a way to mount it on the back of the boat. I would think that it would be easier/better to drive the boat and look for structure then stand on the TM and look for structure.
MIbasser has it dead on
Old 03-10-11, 09:21 PM   #42
bamabassman

ok todd.....i am back. lol. i have a lowrance 520c on the console, and am buying a 240 for the bow ( THANKS 3D!). is there a way to connect BOTH to ONE antenna? both are gps compadable. and how much and where do i get the chips? for all the lakes? i have been to lowrance's website, but i ain't too good at that sort of thing and yes.....a little lazy too. i am wanting to know if i have to buy a different "chip" for each lake
Old 03-10-11, 10:47 PM   #43
bassboogieman

'bama - NAVIONICS chips are what you need. They are regional in scope. Most have several hundred to in excess of a thousand lakes on the SD card. Several versions are compatible with your units. Check the Navionics website to determine which will work for you. I have the Southeastern chip, which includes the great State of Alabama, also the Northeast and a tidal chip for the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay as examples.

I don't know about multiple units sharing one antenna. I imagine there may be a box that will allow you to switch between units, but using units simultainiously off one antenna may not work. Both would need to require an external antenna - some units have an internal. My units are a mix, one is external the other has an internal, so the issue is still a mute one for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 11:02 PM   #44
MississippiBoy

John, take a look here: http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=282434

The third picture down, with the title "Sample Lowrance Network" is probably going to be like your setup. One cable to front unit, one to the console unit, one to the antenna...all you need is the T's for the cables. You may already have the right cables, just need to take a look at the boat.
Old 03-11-11, 06:07 PM   #45
bamabassman

OK BOOGIEMAN AND DANIEL. THANKS DANIEL, LOOKED OVER THAT LINK. but gonna download the manuel for the 520c. adn see what i can do. i think it'l work. just wanted to ask todd to be sure.
Old 03-12-11, 02:08 PM   #46
bamabassman

ok........i made a mistake on my console finder. it is NOT a 520c. it IS a 510c. does NOT have a place to put the "card". but it is gps capable. ethernet too. i am going to have to RE-study the lowrance site now. sorry, i really need new glasses. gona get some real soon too.
Old 03-12-11, 09:09 PM   #47
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

The 510C is sonar only, no GPS. It does have NMEA 2000 networking and does have Ethernet, but pre-HDS units only share 2D sonar ducers (network sonar) via Ethernet.

Your LMS-240 is GPS/sonar but does not have NMEA 2000, only NMEA 0183.
Old 03-12-11, 10:28 PM   #48
bamabassman

so i can't get what i am wanting to do huh? DANGIT!!!
Old 03-14-11, 10:10 PM   #49
bamabassman

hey todd, me again,lol. got another queston for ya bud.

will a globalmap 480 and a lms 240 connect like what i am wanting to do? found one and if they will connect, i may try to get it.
Old 03-14-11, 10:32 PM   #50
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hey todd, me again,lol. got another queston for ya bud.

will a globalmap 480 and a lms 240 connect like what i am wanting to do? found one and if they will connect, i may try to get it.
It's a 4800, not 480. It's NMEA 0183, while the 240 is NMEA 2000. Don't know if they're compatible.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.