Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-11, 10:38 PM   #1
flukefreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 36 volt 107 lb thrust trolling motor

I had a guy give me this trolling motor today,i tried to see if it would run with just a single 12 volt bat..My question is will this work or do i have to have the 36 volts to just check it ?If i do have to have 36 volts can someone tell me how to wire the batteries to get 36 volts? I figured that 12 volts would at least make it spin but maybe not if anyone could give me some advice it would be appreciated
flukefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 11:45 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You have to have 36 volts for it to do anything. You have to have 3 twelve volt batteries wired in series to do that. Hook the positive of battery #1 to the negative of battery #2, then the positive of #2 to negative of #3. Now run cables from the negative of #1 and the positive of #3 to your trolling motor plug. That should get you in business.
Old 05-10-11, 08:01 AM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

here's a visual http://www.boatpartstore.com/trollwire.asp just click on the 36 digram.
Old 05-10-11, 11:21 AM   #4
lilmule

First battery one lead off neg to troller,positive lead to negative on second battery,positive off that to negative on the third with the positive lead going to troller.
Called in series,voltage adds-kind of like stacking flashlight batterys in a flashlight.
A 107 pd thrust motor is fairly expensive,even used if working 500-600 at a guess.
New over a grand.
Dont be cheap and try to run three batteries for all keep start battery seperate,if working you could easily trade it for say a 24 v or a 12 v easily.
Odds are it has something wrong may be easy to fix,dunno but be sure to thank the guy if it helps at all.
As even not working is worth something for the parts,id trade you a working 36 pd thrust foot control 12 v in a heart beat even if it didnt work.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 10:26 PM   #5
flukefreak
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys i knew i would get an answer here,i'll get it fixed up this weekendand try it out.by the way it does have one issue ,it doesn't have the mount with it but i think i can get one off ebay or craigslist ...........oh yea if this thing works i'll be able to pull a skier behind my 14 ft. jon boat its going on lmao
Old 05-10-11, 10:27 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

what brand is it? motorguide or minn kota? jsut wondering.
Old 05-10-11, 11:04 PM   #7
flukefreak
BassFishin.Com Member

motor guide bama tour edition somethin or another
Old 05-10-11, 11:28 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

I don't know about pulling a skier, but it'll be pretty easy to flip somebody overboard with that monster motor on that little boat. Also, you've got 150 pounds+ of batteries in it...that's a lot of weight, especially in a small boat...
Old 05-11-11, 02:13 PM   #9
bassboogieman

You beat me to it 'sippi. I would be very carefull with all the additional weight in a 14' alum boat. If you're running electronics and have a cranking battery also, you're easily over 200 pounds in batteries alone. Whatever, be sure to balance the load and secure the batteries so they will not shift on you. 107# of thrust will jolt that small a bolt if it's set at a high power and pointed in a direction other than straight ahead, this is expecially dangerous if you mount in at the bow and may be standing up.

Better deal - if it works - would be to sell it to someone as a spare (they won't need the mount) rather than investing in a mount and batteries, and purchase a 12v trolling motor which should be plenty for a 14 footer. If you really want power, you could go to a 24v motor with around 67# thrust, which would run all day, where the 12v might run down with a lot of use, and scoot you along pretty nicely. You could get away with just two batteries and save a lot of weight, by running your sonar off one of the series batteries.

You won't have a lot of electrical load on a 14' boat - no livewells, pumps, or multiple sonar/GPS units I'm assuming. IF, you for some reason, have a large electrical load OTHER than the trolling motor, than you may want a seperate battery (as mentioned above) to handle it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 05-11-11 at 02:19 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 05:57 PM   #10
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ifn it is too big for you pal. might work out a trade of some sort. lemme know ok?
Old 05-12-11, 07:32 AM   #11
lilmule

Even without a mount should be able to trade for a working complete 12 v system more suited for a 14 ft boat.
Like i said earlier id give a 36 pd thrust in a heart beat,others may have even better ones to trade.Sort of over kill on a 14 ft alum boat.
The mount itself can be had off ebay for about 50 bucks.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 09:02 PM   #12
flukefreak
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys but i was just kiddin about the 14 ft aluminum boat,i do have a 15 crosby sled that is just a hull basically.It's gonna be my project to outfit it to use in the local reservoirs and such.I gotta get it registered and start to work on it ,this may stillbe to nuch motor for it but I wasn't gonna turn it down for the price ya know.Once i get it done and try it out ,if i find it is to much for the boat I'll be sure to post it and then I will work out a deal with one of ya.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.