Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-25-08, 08:31 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Frog/Pitching Combo?

Hey guys, i am looking to purchase a new rod (or 4... darn monkey) for the next fishing season. I am looking for a rod to cover both frog fishing, and pitching. Now keep in mind i do not fish extremely heavy cover like some people, but do fish in some bushes in some of the local waters.

My question is what rod power, and pound of line do you recommend that i go with. I really like a 6'6" rod, and was thinking about a 6' 6" Heavy action, but i thought i would get your opinions first.

As for the reel i am going with a Rick Clunn reel, as i already have one in a 7.1:1 for my spinnerbaits.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 09-25-08, 09:15 PM   #2
Rodman_Rob

If you need the heavy action, you should probably go with a 7 foot rod so you can have more leverage, especially if you plan on using a lot of heavy baits with the rod. course I usually prefer a 7' heavy for the slop down here.
Old 09-26-08, 05:06 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I also prefer 6 1/2 foot rods for most of my fishing. And I too have a combo that I use for both froggin and flippin. However, for this combo, I do prefer a 7 foot meadium heavy with a fast action. The extra fast action rods are too stiff IMO for flipping. I want a rod thats a little more flexable at the tip than an extra fast action. The reel your choosing is an excellent reel. I have one myself and love it. The reel I use for flipping and frogging is the Garcia Revo SX. But the Rick Clun reel should work well also. On this combo I have I use 20 pound SilverThread line. I tried flourocarbon, but just don't like it. Like I said, this is the combo I use for my flippin/froggin fishing. It is intended to be used just as your explained. Ok for use in many situations where the cover isn't too heavy. I do have another combo I use only for flippin/froggin in HEAVY cover. It's much more stout. It is a 7 1/2 foot heavy action rof with a fast tip. The reel is a Cabelas Prodegy casting reel loaded with 50 pound Power Pro braid.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-27-08 at 12:09 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 07:40 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

7 foot heavy action is a must have..a high speed reel is also a good thing to have..

zooker
Old 09-28-08, 02:54 PM   #5
3dkicker

I'd have thought you'd have a 7'6" at least. I like my 6'6" M spinning rod (really a MH - H Gator rod) but then I'm not Shrek . I think rod length should match a person's height and the technique.

Before you buy, test out one or two and find the length you prefer. Go with the MH to H and low stretch line.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.