Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-25-08, 04:00 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default One more dead moccasin this year PICS (storytime)

Wednesday after I made it home from work, I made my daily trip to my backyard with my son. He as really taken to being outside and gets really upset when we go back in. Anyways, like I always do, I looked over the fence to see if I can see any snakes in the swamp or on the land between our fence and the swamp. "None today" I thought. I turned to go back in the house and just happened to look to the right down the fence line and saw what I thought was a large fallen branch from one of the many trees behind the fence. I did a double take when I saw the "branch" moving towards the gate. As I took a closer look, I knew immediately that it was a moccasin. I ran into the house to drop off the baby to the wife and get my "Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle" (not really, it is just a hand pump bb rifle that can kill a small mammal if pumped up enough times). Even though my wife is terrified of snakes, she followed me to see the action. I leaned over the fence, took aim, fired. Nothing. Did I miss from 10 feet? I then remembered that the site was a bit high. I reloaded, took aim (a tad lower this time ), and fired. My wife shreaked as the moccasin whipped around in anger. No fear from me, since the fence separated us. I looked closely and noticed a small hole in the top of his head right between the eyes. Yes, bullseye. I knew then that he was a goner. But before I was going to go back there and dispose of the devil's spawn, I unloaded another 5 bb's into his head just to be sure. Since he didn't even twitch when the last bb entered his head, I knew it was safe. The late "little" bugger was 3 1/2 feet long. The wife went back into the house to make a few phones calls to her mother and friends. Obviously to tell them how proud she was of her man for keeping the her and the children safe from such a terrible beast. I have to admit, it was a "fun" evening. I will post pictures when I get back to the house tonight.

Of course the pictures were taken after the snake was dead. I am not stupid.

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 09-25-08 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 04:41 PM   #2
Jim80

all you need now is the elmer fudd accent , Be veerrrry veerrry quite i'm hunting moccasin's .
BTW good shot
Jim
Old 09-25-08, 04:47 PM   #3
bfd300
BassFishin.Com Active Member

great story......you worded the so perfectly i had to laff

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 04:59 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

had one hit the clinch strap on a pair of waders as i walked down the road..not fun..

zooker
Old 09-25-08, 05:20 PM   #5
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I am 6ft 3 and weigh 248, Red is 5ft 2in and would kick my azz if I were to run in the house get a gun and run back out side just to shoot a defenseless snake between the eyes, we live with timber rattlers and have never been attacked by one, we see them often and leave them alone. Now on the other hand, we will shoot barn rodents, them pesky little bastards don’t deserve to live near me. Give me rattle snakes any day.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 05:27 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

I kill the water moccasins but let the nonpoinsonous snakes live (and yes I know the difference when I see them).
Old 09-25-08, 05:51 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

moccasins tend to be more aggressive than other snakes, including ratlers. they'll chase you, climb in the boat, basically whatever they need to do to latch onto your ankle. they're like a pit bull on crack.........well maybe not that bad.
Old 09-25-08, 06:30 PM   #8
bamabassman

great story f&g. loved the way you described the bb gun. i have an "official" red ryder meself, hehehehehe.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 07:38 PM   #9
crankybait

sweet man... entertaining story, thanks for giving me a good laugh on my homework break
Old 09-26-08, 02:45 AM   #10
islandbass

That was a good story. Just be careful though, even when they're dead. With the nerves still active, even just a head can still bite. It happened to someone and it was in the news. The guy beheaded the snake with a shovel. The snake was dead for certain, yet the head through reflex bit the guy in the hand. He got medical attention but if I didn't read that story I would not have believed it.
Old 09-26-08, 04:00 PM   #11
zooker

before north carolina past the hazardus animal law i kept a timber rattler and a pygmy rattler as pets.-if you could actually call a rattler a pet-in the house..

after that law was past, i was forced to either lisence the snakes as deadly weapons or release them. the lisence for moses and paco cost $200 a year both pythons are over 10 feet long.

zooker

zooker
Old 09-26-08, 04:35 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Just be careful though, even when they're dead. With the nerves still active, even just a head can still bite. It happened to someone and it was in the news. The guy beheaded the snake with a shovel. The snake was dead for certain, yet the head through reflex bit the guy in the hand. He got medical attention but if I didn't read that story I would not have believed it.
I wasn't taking any chances. I used a large 3 foot long stick to pick it up and move it. That last picture was taken using a long 2 foot twig and the zoom feature of the camera. My daughter wanted to touch it but I wouldn't let her get that close. I told her she could hold the next nonpoisonous snake I catch. She is not as afraid of snakes as her mother. We have a picture of her holding a 5 foot long python when we were in Panama City.
Old 09-27-08, 05:13 PM   #13
WTL

I was wet wading last month with a flyrod when I saw in my path, hiding behind a rock a mocassin. He was just waiting on me. I saw him when I was about 5 feet away.

Old 09-27-08, 05:17 PM   #14
bamabassman

lol was he waiting for a throw away fish from you? for real don't you just hate it when they hide like that? i do, makes me think they are trying to figure out how to eat ya.
Old 09-27-08, 05:23 PM   #15
WTL

He wasnt waitin on no fish, he was waiting on me. I was walking right towards him.
Old 09-28-08, 09:42 AM   #16
scrap

just as a comment, the trusty little 410 shotgun is one awesome snake killer, it would be a great back up for a daisy red ryder.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 01:35 PM   #17
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
just as a comment, the trusty little 410 shotgun is one awesome snake killer, it would be a great back up for a daisy red ryder.
agreed, and if you don't want to carry a long gun, check out the taurus judge, nice little revolver that shoots a 410, or a 41 colt.
Old 09-28-08, 04:30 PM   #18
bamabassman

scrap, YES a 410 is great for the snakie snakes. know where i can get me a good ol rabit eared side by side?
Old 09-29-08, 05:51 PM   #19
basstech

Just a curious question, How do you rig 'em, what size hook do you use, and what kind of outfit for the presentation? Ok, technically 3 questions.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.