Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-13-08, 11:34 AM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default How was your summer of fishing ?

I wondered how everybody's summer of fishing went and how you will look back at it . I know a few of you have beaten personal records , and many have just enjoyed time pursueing the fish . The best part of the summer for me was to be able to have my sons fishing with me and planting the seeds of a life long hobby in their minds . And also finding this site I believe has opened a vast amount of knowledge and opinions that have helped me to be a better angler and for that I thank everyone here .

Jim
Old 09-13-08, 12:29 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Pretty good spring and jus waiting on fall fishing, any day now for next 2 months it will be killer.
Biggest dif I saw this spring is tons more qualitity smallmouths and walleyes are biting on brookville.
Last year at the end of sept. is when the big largemouths were biting, many times we got 4-5 lb'ers on the chatterbait all day.
That and small crankbaits right in the timbers near the banks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	JB-brookville lake.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	2658
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 12:33 PM   #3
Jim80

I'm waiting for the fall bite to pick up myself Jb , it will be nice when some of the bugs are gone as well . We have just had the bigger pickerel coming up and kinda killing the bass bite lately .
Old 09-13-08, 02:14 PM   #4
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The spring started out kinda rough. Cool nights and days pushed the spawn alittle later than normal it seemed. But summer fishing was great! I learned 2 new baits this year, the football head jig, and the swim bait. I fished drop shot alot more and am very confident with it. I fished new areas on old lakes and did very well, getting alot of 15 to twenty fish days. Although my 6 year streek of catching one or two 4 pound bass or lager may come to and end this year. But I'll be fishing all the way through october into early november, and some of the best fishin is just around the corner! A coe-worker and I did catch a bunch of large wipers one after noon. Probably 15 fish, two four pounders, a bunch of 2's and 3's and I caught a 7 pound wiper. Those are the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught!! But all-in-all I can't complain bout the year. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 02:52 PM   #5
zooker

got a personal best on a crankbait this summer.-9.1-

oh yeah most of mine was spent like this..

time wise 2 am

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 09-13-08 at 03:18 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 08:52 PM   #6
rangerryan

did good it was my first year of tourney fishing and i won one and placed in the money a couple of times but i had a blast and caught a lot of good fish and it aint over yet.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 09:31 AM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I haven't had time to do near the amount of "fun" fishing I usually do. Most of the fishing I have done has been tournaments and that hasn't gone as well this year as in the past. I'm hoping the Fall bite picks up soon!!! As in THIS weekend!!!
Old 09-15-08, 04:32 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Wonderful. I caught over 100 largemouths and had a PB of 2 lbs 3 oz. Good year.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 05:59 PM   #9
Jrok
BassFishin.Com Member

Check out the density of the weeds here. In places that I could, Id use top water baits such as the frenzy or a jitterbug. Over the weeds they'd smash the scum frog or buzz baits all summer long.
Man I wish I was fishing right now.
Hi everyone. Long time reader, 2nd time posting. Great site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07348.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	2660   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07408.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	2661  
Jrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 06:31 PM   #10
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

it's been tough. really hot followed by a broken ankle and then more really hot. not to mention the wettest august i've ever seen here, over a foot of rain. but with 3 more tournaments during the fall bite i'm still hopeful for a good one. then i'll take dec and jan off to kill ducks and it's back to tourn fishing in feb. i don't think i can complain about much other than my wife and harley time has been a bit neglected.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 07:06 PM   #11
3dkicker

Excellent year on the river this year. Did very well with some baits I've never or rarely used. I hope it continues this fall.
Old 09-16-08, 09:38 AM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

Well so far i have'nt caught the biggest bass i've ever caught. I have caught more this year than i have ever before. When i started bass fishing the MO. I did'nt know how to deal with the flooding. Today i am a master. At least on this river. Because of knowing what to do in flooding when others struggle i only get better. I love catching bass in high water.
Old 09-16-08, 08:17 PM   #13
bamabassman

well haven't had much luck,lol. not what i wanted anyway. but the wife is really getting into it, don't know if that is bad or good since she is starting to out fish me, lmao. but i am having a BALL out there when i get out there. gonna go as much as we can till it gets too cold to camp. found out they close the state parks at the end of october, so we will go as much (every weekend) till they close the parks. can't wait till next spring either!! gonna camp all next year if possible. all in all we are having a GREAT time out there.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 08:46 PM   #14
keithdog

The past three years were the best fishing years in my life. But this year as been just plain awful. To start with, we had an extremely late spring. It even snowed that first week in May. That screwed up the normal spring season big time. Then once spring did FINALLY arrive, the DNR had every lake in the region sprayed for weeds. The weeds dissapeared and so did the fish. While I caught a few here and there it felt like 100 casts per fish at best. And what I have caught have been less that 2 pounds. Probing deeper water and very shallow the results were the same. These past few weeks have seen some of the weedbeds in shallower water start to return, and with them a few more bass, although they still are running small. I am hoping with the comming cooler nights and days, the larger bass will start to begin feeding for the long winter ahead.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 11:46 PM   #15
flfireman

Summer has been slow for me. Too much work and not enough time to fish. Most days I got out usually had a thunder storm moving in early. Had a few good days catching anywhere from 5-20 fish, but the size just hasn't been there. Weather is slowly cooling here. Hoping to pick up my fishing a lot more in Sept and Oct.
Old 09-24-08, 01:48 PM   #16
Bender

This summer has been a new adventure for me getting on bigger waters. The inland lakes in my area have not been so good though, too much weed kill. I have caught my personal best smallies this year and my biggest largie:
6-28 - Lake Saint Clair ~6 pounder:

9-21 - Lake Erie 5lb.6oz.

I'm sure looking forward to the fall. We are in the process of planning a trip up north where the big girls live in October.

Last edited by Bender; 09-24-08 at 02:34 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 02:09 PM   #17
Rodman_Rob

nice fish! good job and good luck.
Old 09-30-08, 10:36 PM   #18
JRL

Mine was a bust, but I figured out why:

First we thought: Vertical jigging deep holes....Nothing
Second we thought: Big worms in deep water....Nothing
Third we thought night fishing was the trick.....Nothing.....noticed a few shad on the surface when shining the flash light.

And finally we gave up and said "Lets cast net some shad". So, we went to the area of the lake where like clock work there will be shad. OMG was there shad! The depth finder was completely black! Threw the net at random. Netted about 50, 2" shad. If you've ever seen what a Sardine run looks like, this was happening in about a 2 acre sized spot on the lake, and not one bass broke the surface! And they didnt have to, the shad school streched from the surface to the bottom.

All I can think is that the bass are gourging themselves on baby shad. With one hit they could easily have taken out 5 at a time. It was insane. No way was anything artifical gonna get those fat bottom dwellers to move an inch.

So thats my summer fishing. Really looking forward to post spawn.
Old 10-03-08, 01:10 PM   #19
vabassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I caught my PB (6lbs 13ozs) this summer on a Cavitron buzzbait so I would have to say it has been a good summer. I have also had a great time frog fishing with the Rage Tail toads, they are awesome baits and I have caught a lot of nice lmbs with them..
vabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.