Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-30-08, 03:25 PM   #1
steve88
BassFishin.Com Member

Default clear water

whats the best line to use in gin clear water? i'll be fishin at smith lake in al. in oct. thanks
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 04:31 PM   #2
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I just baught some more line. I baught a light Moss green colored line from P-Line. I used it Saturday on my spinning worm rod. It was using 12lb line. I ended up catching 10 bass in the 12 inch size on my private lake that i go to. I was using a Bass Pro curly tail worm on my T-rig. The color was watermelon & pepper. The funny thing about was i could'nt tell where the line began from the worm in water. The line color was a dead on match to the worm. This rig will be used again. But here is the thing. Instead of trying to hide the line. It made the line look like it was part of vegetation. It just blended in instead of disapearing.
Old 09-30-08, 04:37 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i like flourocarbon......it disapears in water. seaguar invizx is my fourocarbon of choice.
Old 09-30-08, 05:20 PM   #4
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Kevin just put in some interesting articles about clear water fishing line in this new forum, go back and check it out.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 05:22 PM   #5
bamabassman

grew up fishing smith as a youngster. you need some real clear line to fish there. are the big stripes running?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 10:52 AM   #6
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use green Suffix elite.
Old 10-02-08, 10:58 AM   #7
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A lot of our lakes have 10'+ visibility and some up north lakes where I'm headed soon have 30'+. I use fluoro on almost everything, even if I'm using braid I like a leader. I have not tried Sunline yet, but between all the "off the shelf" lines I like P-Line Halo best. Then Invizix and BPS fluoro, and Carbon Pro is good for baitcasting reels. Segaur Carbon Pro is super strong and tough, but has bad memory causing many curse words and cutting on spinning reels.
On the Saint Clair River the other day my partner was fishing braid and I had fluoro on identical drop shot rigs in 20' and I was catching 3:1 fish, so I believe that it does make a difference. Maybe not every day, but some days you need every advantage you can get.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 01:56 PM   #8
WTL

Lot of people use #6 or #8 P-Line Flouroclear on Smith and lake Tuscaloosa. Same type fisheries. Also they use shaky heads. Not my type of fishing.
Old 10-03-08, 07:31 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Depends, are you fishing heavy cover or open water? In heavy cover, just use braid, if open water, I still use braid, but you might prefer some other sissy line. JK of course about the sissy line, but I do use braid in clear or stained water, because I fish heavy cover. I did fish lake Lanier in Georgia this summer, and used braid and still caught bass, even though the water clarity was unbelievable to me and my depth finder was reading depths up to 80'. With the lake level being down so low, there was no heavy cover to find. I caught the fish mostly on a drop shot rig during the day, but topwater(buzzbaits) was the ticket after the sun ran away. Use what you want, your presentation and location are much more important IMHO.

Lizards
Old 10-03-08, 09:19 PM   #10
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

Flourocarbon is my choice. Suffix makes a very good line. P line Flouroclear is another favorite due to it's strength and all around toughness. I have used both at Table Rock which is typically pretty clear. Vicious is another good one but doesn't cost quite as much if that is a concern.
Good Luck

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.