Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-29-12, 10:24 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default OK, here are a question for you:

Are we bass fishermen insecure?

I think we are-at lest when it comes to fishing. Think about it-we could buy one lure. Do we? Of course not! We buy several-different colors, different sizes-you know we all do it. Rods and reels? How many of us have rods dedicated to specific techniques? We hear about a new bait or technique and what is the first thing we do? We gotta have it! How many of us have baits that have never and probably never will see the water? Guilty! And yet I keep buying more.

We don't want to be caught without the latest and greatest. It is in the very fiber of our being. We even have a term for it: The Bait Monkey.

Insecure? Yep, I guess we are. I guess it is part of being a bass fisherman. Ain't it great?
Old 10-29-12, 10:34 PM   #2
keithdog

Well, they say he who dies with the most toys wins. haha I guess that is true for bass fisherman. I know I buy new lures every year that end up replacing old favorites, and sometimes I have to ask myself why?
Old 10-29-12, 10:46 PM   #3
bamabassman

hahahahaha...i got a feeling the monkey is beating ol rebb something FEIRCE.
Old 10-29-12, 11:11 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't think of it as insecure, think of it as prepared!
Old 10-29-12, 11:50 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Don't think of it as insecure, think of it as prepared!
I agree. I will use crankbaits as an example to defend myself and all other addicts, however the same case can be made for about any bait out there. When I buy a new model of crankbait I at the very least will pick out a color for clear water and a color for off colored water. Most of the time I will pick out a few colors for each water condition but for the sake of arguement lets just say one color for each water condition. Now you have to buy at least 3 of each color that you pick because buying just one is a recipe for disaster if you lose it. Now you take this same purchasing habit and apply it to every model of crankbait that you own and that in itself is a ton of baits. But add to that all the spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, softplastics, topwater baits (both walking and popper style), and so forth and you now have a ton of tackle and are still not prepared for every situation you will come across on the water. Rods are kind of the same deal. Not too long ago we never heard of technique specific rods. We had rods that all pulled double duty and it worked fine and we caught fish. But eventually we started seeing the benefit to having rods that were built for a specific purpose and we seen how although we could get by with rods that were pulling double or triple duty, we would more successful if we had rods that were designed to do a specific job because it would allow us to make better presentations and get a few more bites.

I guess you could call it insecure, but I like to think of it as trying to squeeze every bit of success that we can out of a day on the water (at least that is how I justify it to myself LOL).
Old 10-30-12, 06:31 AM   #6
kennethdaysale

There are lot's of ways to "spin" tackle purchases. I'm partial to this one. Go into a NASCAR garage and take a look at the total tool count. Could they do the work with just enough tools to fit in a 5 gallon bucket? Probably. Would they win many races or enjoy the work? I doubt it.

If your children need shoes or you're late on your mortgage or you let your wife ride around on "maypops" while accumulating tackle, then you've got a problem. If not, then it falls under the heading of discretionary spending, and you have every right to be happy about it and free from even a shred of guilt.
Old 10-30-12, 09:44 AM   #7
lilmule

Just what does the average nascar garage tool set cost?
Regardless someone who has half the tools and more luck and or talent can win.
Often the guy in a alum rig with a 40 hp and under that stays near the ramp and doesnt own the eq to run can cash a check.Ive done it on my troller when the big motor wouldnt hit a lick.And been beaten by a guy in a 16 ft tracker with a 9.9,when it did operate.
Simply because I had the tools and didnt know which ones to use,so ran some gas out.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 10:35 AM   #8
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Just what does the average nascar garage tool set cost?
Whatever it costs to stick a decal on the car, if not then it's
on average less than 2.0% of the teams Adjusted Gross Income. I understand your oft stated position that "make do" can get it done, however ........................

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 10-30-12 at 10:40 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 03:27 PM   #9
bassinbob

Naw, just bait monkey crazy.
Old 10-30-12, 07:13 PM   #10
nobass

don't think we are insecure just suckers alot of times most new lures catch more fisherman than fish
Old 10-30-12, 09:56 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Great points, all.

Dummy me meant to title this here IS, not ARE a question for you. In the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson,

Old 10-30-12, 10:51 PM   #12
WTL

Not sure why I spend the money, but insecure doesnt feel like the right word/concept to explain the phenomena.

I find when I spend the most money, is when I can't go fishing. I blow the money to feel like I am going to the lake. I bought a spey rod the other day for instance. Now when the hell am I gonna use a spey rod? But I wanted one. Not because I would somehow be less without one, but in spite of not being less - I dont really need it. But it made me feel good to open up the package and pretend that I could find a use for it.
Old 10-31-12, 05:27 AM   #13
joedog

Just doing my part to help the nations economy!
Old 10-31-12, 07:10 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Me too, Joe. Me too
Old 11-03-12, 10:17 AM   #15
keithdog

I was at BPS last night to buy a rod tip guide for a broken rod tip. While I was there, I ALSO purchased a Strike King squarebill crankbait in the Citrus Shad color, one of my favorites. Did I need to buy it now? Well no, not really. Did I want to buy it? Well yeah, I did. This, despite knowing it won't touch water for 5 months. But I justified the purchase this way. I'm soon going to be weeding out lures I don't use anymore, and reorganizing the lures I do use. Therefore, I "need" this bait now so I can properly add it to my crankbait box while doing my winter lure chores.
Old 11-03-12, 11:40 PM   #16
Rebbasser

I like your logic, Keith
Old 11-04-12, 09:01 PM   #17
WatterBoy

I just placed an order at Tackle Warehouse for their BOGO deal on Sunline Sniper line. While I was at it, I spent another $26 on various plastics so I could get my total order to $50 and get "free" shipping instead of paying $5 for it. It seemed perfectly logical to my bait monkey, especially during the off-season.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 10:31 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Not sure why I spend the money, but insecure doesnt feel like the right word/concept to explain the phenomena.

I find when I spend the most money, is when I can't go fishing. I blow the money to feel like I am going to the lake. I bought a spey rod the other day for instance. Now when the hell am I gonna use a spey rod? But I wanted one. Not because I would somehow be less without one, but in spite of not being less - I dont really need it. But it made me feel good to open up the package and pretend that I could find a use for it.
I can relate to this as well. I find that when I am unable to go fishing for a few weeks I start thinking more and more about fishing. That leads me to thinking about tackle. Then just to feel better about not going fishing I end up looking at Tackle Warehouse or maybe even running to Bass Pro or Academy to ease the withdrawls (I guess that is what you would call it). Next thing I know, I convince myself I need this or that....or this "and" that. I end up stocking up on stuff. In the end it costs me just as much money to not go fishing as it does for me to just fill up the truck and boat and hit the lake. I guess the main difference between me and what Billy deals with is my impulse buys are almost always something that I already have but just want more of, or at least stuff I know will be useful.
Old 12-19-12, 11:36 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAbel View Post
The fishing so interesting ! when i was child ,I always do fishing along the river.That so funny! My fishing equipment so simple! Do you know www.zetadental.com? You can buy dental equipment from this website.

My order has been placed, now I will be able to realize my life long fantasy of Donkey Denistry, my mule will now have the brightest of bright teeth and minty fresh breath.

Mule, I realize I could do this with comet and a wire brush, but HEE HAW, (my donkey) just won't stand for it.
Old 12-20-12, 07:48 AM   #20
lilmule

Why pin this on me.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 04:32 PM   #21
Captmikestarrett

It worked on my dogs..

See they lookin goood..

Capt Mike
Old 12-21-12, 05:12 PM   #22
Bassboss

Well sure nuff! Lol, hard not to do in a sport that's as ever evolving as this one!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.