Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-04-05, 09:18 AM   #1
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn
Default Attaching leader to braided line

Just learned this neat trick and it works real well.

Take fly tying thread, I used #3 because it is what I had, any strong thread will work.

Bend the tag end of the braid, coming off the tip of the rod, over itself into a small loop. Using the thread tie a whip knot on the bend forming a loop in the braid.

To tie the whip knot lay the tag end of the thread parallel to the braid, on top of the tag end of the braid near the loop. Wrap the main section of thread over the tag end of the thread and the tag end of the braid starting at the loop and moving back towards the rod. Make two passes (or more) of the thread from the loop towards the rod tip, stopping at the end of the braided tag: reversing direction back to the loop. Secure the thread to the braid with some type of glue such as crazy glue. The glue should be flexable or it will peel off, after a number of casts. If you use crazy glue, just touch it up when it starts to peel away. If the whip knot is locked the glue is not needed.

You now have a loop in the end of the braid that if done correctly will last a very very long time.

Next take your leader and form a double surgeon’s loop in one end of it.

Push the leader loop through the loop in the braid, pull the leader through the leader loop and pull tight. This is very similar to a Palomar knot used on lures. Pull the leader tight and go fishing.

To change or replace the leader, grab the braided loop in one hand and the leader loop in the other and push towards one another. The leader with open up and can be removed.

I was playing with this at the lake the other day and found it to be a great way to switch leaders quickly. Using power pro 10 lb hi Vis yellow line on the reel (Penn 360 Slammer) I was able to switch between Vanish transition 8lb leader and Yo Zori Hybrid 12 lb and Cajun Red 6 lb with ease.

I hope these instructions make sense. If you have any questions please feel free to Im or email me or just post them, I will try to help.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.