Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-01-08, 02:36 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default At my wit's end!

Hey Guy's. I need help and in a bad way. I just spent 6 hours of fishing (6:30-12:30AM) and got two bites and caught one (or I might have accidently hooked it in the face). I used everything I could think of. White Spinner Bait, White Buzz Bait, white chatter bait, black chatter bait, black spinner bait, crank baits etc. The only thing I got hits on was the white buzz bait with a medium speed retrieve. Which way shoul I have gone after I got those bites. The fish I caught was at 12:00 on a bomber 7-10' shad colored. After I caught that one I must have traveled 1/2 a mile of shoreline with nothing. What am I doing wrong?
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 02:56 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

crank, fish either want to look up or chase a bait to eat, or want something slow and on the bottom...most of us start out with power baits and cover ground, i.e. spinnerbaits, cranks etc...when its evident that those aren't working as in your scenerio, switch to worms, tubes, craws etc, with a slower presentation..I cant tell you how many times I've thrown a buzzbait or crank over an area, no bites, then before moving the boat down the bank, throw back with plastics and get bite..good idea to carry multiple rods with dif lures, for dif speeds and depths..if neither works, move on.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 03:03 PM   #3
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks JB. It is overwhelming for me with the many options of lures not emntioning colors, presentations etc. I have a difficult time trying to weed out what they dont want to what they do want. Color options is hard for me also.
Old 06-01-08, 03:07 PM   #4
JB

also throw in the equation the wide wobble or tight wobble cranks in firetiger, I love the stroms wigglewart or hot n tot in firetiger, rapala has their own version of color as well as all the rest (bomber, strikeking, bandits)..
Brookville lake where i fish is always good for firetiger or green lures.
get some for dif depths too, 5-7 diving depth
is always a good all around depth around here.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 03:13 PM   #5
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

I know another guy was getting bites on a green tube today. I put one on and got some tiny bites but it was to hard to fish with the winds and boaters. lol I have a firetiger crankbait but didn't think that was the way to go. How often do you change out your lures if you are not getting any results? What would you do in my situation to try and learn the proper essentials to catch these things.
Old 06-01-08, 03:17 PM   #6
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

To make it much easier:

1) Give us more information on what/where you're fishing. What type rod? How heavy jig, worm, etc.? How heavy line? What type of structure/cover?

2) Slow down and only fish one or two areas a day. If you catch a few on one or two lures, move to a different spot with the same features and fish it with the same lures, presentation, etc.

If you gave us more information on number one we could help you out a lot.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 03:26 PM   #7
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Buzz,

I am fishing a Highland Lake in Georgetown Texas. The water was low visibility. I use a Corardo Bait Caster with 10lb test. I didn't try jigs or worms becuase I was unsure how to fish them with the other boaters and not knowing what terrain to try and fish it. I stuck with Crankbaits, spinner baits, and used a tube jig after someone ele said they were getting bites. I must have threw 20 different types of lures.
Old 06-01-08, 03:41 PM   #8
Buzz Wing

I'm no expert, but try this...

Since you're in Texas, I assume the fish have spawned over a month ago. If they're not yet in a summer pattern, or even if they are, try flingin' a 5/8 or 3/4-ounce, single colorado spinnerbait in chartreuse or chartreuse/whit along the break, humps, and points. Since the water is low visibility, the bright color and large, thumpin' blade should work well.

That white or white/chartreuse buzzbait fished over grass and stumps early in the morning should fare well as well. Make sure to add a trailer hook to this and your spinnerbaits as well.

Another thing you could try is casting a Carolina Rig over deep humps and deep points. Since the fish have spawned and are beginning to look for deeper water, this should work well. Something like a 1/2 or 5/8-ounce lead egg sinker wshould do the trick. You could also try fishin' this with a 7 or 10" Berkley Gulp! Turtleback Worm to produce more strikes, and boost your confidence. A good color would be chartreuse, junebug, or red shad. Black/blue would also work well in that stained water.

Good luck!,

-Buzz
Old 06-01-08, 03:46 PM   #9
bamabassman

WORMS PAL!!!! use some different worms, 6"8" should be right. dark colors, like, brown with chartuse tail, black or blue with red or blue (on a black worm) tails. try a 1/8 or 1/4 ounce weight. and fish it slowly. take your time. if you think you are going too slow...slow down some more. it may take several casts in the same spot to get bit. but take your time and fish throughly. also try a pi n jig. they are great on drop offs. good luck!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 03:48 PM   #10
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Buzz. What do you mean by breaks? Also why use a C-rig instead of a t-rig. It there a difference that aids in catching?
Old 06-01-08, 03:53 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Crank,

A break is mainly a drop-off, where the fish are!

A Carolina Rig is alos better for searching, and gets a lot less weeds on the worm part of the hook.

-Buzz
Old 06-01-08, 03:54 PM   #12
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Typically I cannot fish this due to the boat drifting to fast, and trying to use the trolling motor to maintain my position sucks. Should I just anchor?
Old 06-01-08, 03:56 PM   #13
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Why is the C-Rig better for searching? Because it makes a noise. Do you fish this the same as a t-rig?
Old 06-01-08, 10:37 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

The Carolina Rig is a great search bait. Since it can run through about anything without snagging, you can really learn what's down there, especially used in coordination with fluorocarbon or braid.

With fishing a Carolina Rig, chunk it out, and let it sink down to the bottom. Once it settles down, give it a little tug to loosen it up, then drag it two or three feet. Let it settle another second or two, then tug and drag. Keep doing this until you get bit. If you don't get bit doing this, slow down and drag it a few feet less, maybe don't tug as hard. Change it up and see what the fish want. Since you said your water is muddy, I'd go with a short 12-16" leader; make sure you use a GLASS FACETED BEAD in between the weight and ball-bearing swivel.

You said you're using 10-pound monofilament on a baitcasting setup? Is this your only setup? Gimme some more information, I have a few ideas..

-Buzz
Old 06-01-08, 11:15 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Crank, if you are fishing Lake Georgetown it has areputation for being a TOUGH lake to fish. Very few caught and mostly small, so catching one is something to be pleased with.

This time of year after it starts getting hot during the day I pretty much go to weightless soft plastics like a Senko, Yum Dinger, or Tiki Stick. I prefer watermelon red, watermelon, or in the case of a Senko or Yum dinger a watermelon/pearl laminate-green on top and white on the bottom.

A C-rig differs from a T-rig in that the C-rig is designed for a horizontal presentation-you drag it along the bottom-where a T-rig is for a vertical presentation. The T-rig works better for fishing particular pieces of cover like a flooded tree.
Old 06-02-08, 11:20 AM   #16
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Got it. I know that they have a fishing tourney every Thursday night from 5-9. I believe that my reel is the 6.2:1 ratio with a 6'6" medium rod. I also have a few open face spinning reels but don't like the feel of them. I prefer my baitcaster. I have an older curardo with 8lb test and 6'6" medium rod. What kind of ideas do you have Buzz? Do you want to hook up and do some fishing together sometime? lolor you fish... me watch?
Old 06-02-08, 07:53 PM   #17
3dkicker

Crank - what you need to do is look online and see if a local bass club has a jr membership. Then join and attend the meetings. Try to fish a couple tournaments as a back seater. You'll learn a heck of a lot this way and get to meet some good fishermen that you can bounce ideas on especially those about local waters. Most of us are spread out across the country and can only give general ideas (except for Reb).
If you can't find a club then, I've suggested this before, create one at your school. I've got nine students in the club I sponsor and they all love to fish. We get out once a month or so and fish local ponds mostly. They have a lot of fun and get to see plenty of baits and techniques they would never get to try if they fished by themselves.
Old 06-02-08, 09:30 PM   #18
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Crank - what you need to do is look online and see if a local bass club has a jr membership. Then join and attend the meetings. Try to fish a couple tournaments as a back seater. You'll learn a heck of a lot this way and get to meet some good fishermen that you can bounce ideas on especially those about local waters. Most of us are spread out across the country and can only give general ideas (except for Reb).
If you can't find a club then, I've suggested this before, create one at your school. I've got nine students in the club I sponsor and they all love to fish. We get out once a month or so and fish local ponds mostly. They have a lot of fun and get to see plenty of baits and techniques they would never get to try if they fished by themselves.

gotta agree you'll learn more from a seasoned angler than from reading and trying to figure it out yourself , not that you can't do it just a lot of trial and error trying to learn it all by yourself and the clubs help speed up that learning curve .
Old 06-04-08, 08:13 AM   #19
3dkicker

Crankitup - Sorry didn't realize that you are a little older than what I had thought. Skip the part about the Jr member and find a club to fish with. Some clubs are more about competition and others are about having a good time and sharing information. Find one that is right for you.
Old 06-04-08, 08:52 AM   #20
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

3dkicker, Thanks for the old comment. If I shave everything I can still pull 18 lol. I guess you thought I was old due to all the stupid questions I had huh?
Old 06-04-08, 11:02 AM   #21
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankitup View Post
If I shave everything I can still pull <snip>
Man, comments like that could get you in all kinds of trouble...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 04:55 PM   #22
bamabassman

yea crank you ARE old, hahahahaha. kidding. 3d, like the rest of us did think that you were younger, but now we see that you are just inexperienced. and that is a good thing. glad that you are catching fish now. maybe you'll get good enough to tell us some of YOUR secrets. me... i am OLDER than dirt, lmao, but i STILL m in need of learning new things.
Old 06-04-08, 05:28 PM   #23
3dkicker

Just said you were "a little older". Not older and grey like some of us (I'm getting there much faster than anticipated). Thought you might have been in the high school age group. Still good job on figuring out how to catch those tough fish. Now can you go back to back? Pressure is on.
Old 06-04-08, 08:46 PM   #24
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

HAHA pressure is on!! I bet I get skunked. Got to think positive though. Keep it moving right?
Old 06-04-08, 11:06 PM   #25
bamabassman

that is right man. keep on moving. never look back..unless you accidently hook your partner, hahahaha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.