Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-17-10, 10:42 AM   #1
RPBassin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1 rod for both Jigs and Carolina rigs

I am looking into adding another set up to my collection and was looking for a rod that would be good for both jig fishing (1/4 oz to 3/4 oz) and carolina rigging. I was thinking in the 6'6" to 7' range with a medium heavy action. What size rod and power would you suggest?
RPBassin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 11:09 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I Jig fish, but as you can tell from my posts all summer long I am not much on carolina rig.. yet... but it would seem to me that you would want 7'-7'6" and a MH action at the least maybe even a heavy action...

If i were doing teh buying... i would go 7' MH... I use a cheap $40 7' MH Fast rod for all my Jig fishn and the occasional carolina rig... its an Abu Garcia Conolon Premiere and you can only get em at Wal-Mart... but it is a hoss... hasnt broke yet... even when i hooked a 14lb cat...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 11:18 AM   #3
Jrob78

Don't get action and power confused, they aren't the same thing. If you need the rod to pull double duty I wouldn't go less than 7'. I would probably look for a 7'-7'3" heavy power, fast action rod. If you are going to fish c-rigs more than jigs you could probably go up to 7'6" heavy power, fast action.
Old 08-17-10, 11:37 AM   #4
RPBassin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah i misspoke on the action/power. I'm well aware of the differences between the two, but for some reason i always call it the wrong thing while talking about it.

What about line? I live in the north and fish mostly gin clear bodies of water. I was thinking about putting 17 to 20lb fluorocarbon on there. Is that about right? I figure that would be enough for yanking the fish out of semi-heavy cover as well as enough abrasion resistance while dragging a carolina rig across zebra mussel infested rocks.
Old 08-17-10, 11:42 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Don't get action and power confused, they aren't the same thing. If you need the rod to pull double duty I wouldn't go less than 7'. I would probably look for a 7'-7'3" heavy power, fast action rod. If you are going to fish c-rigs more than jigs you could probably go up to 7'6" heavy power, fast action.
Good recommendation here!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 11:46 AM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPBassin' View Post
Yeah i misspoke on the action/power. I'm well aware of the differences between the two, but for some reason i always call it the wrong thing while talking about it.

What about line? I live in the north and fish mostly gin clear bodies of water. I was thinking about putting 17 to 20lb fluorocarbon on there. Is that about right? I figure that would be enough for yanking the fish out of semi-heavy cover as well as enough abrasion resistance while dragging a carolina rig across zebra mussel infested rocks.
No problem, a lot of people mix the 2 up, as long as you know the difference.

I generally fish braid for these two applications. I use 50 lb for jigs and for my main line on c-rigs. I usually use 17 lb mono for my leader on c-rigs. That being said, I think a heavy fluoro would work really well. I would recommend using a lighter leader on your c-rigs so if you have a break off you don't lose your weight, beads and swivel.
Old 08-17-10, 02:32 PM   #7
walkeraviator

im with Jrob on line... 50lb power pro... and 12lb flouro leaders...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 03:28 PM   #8
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Do you plan on using the Rod for pitching/flipping jigs?
If so I would use suggest getting a 7'6" MH power with a fast action.
The extra length will help when carolina rigging because nothing is to long for the carolina rig some guys even use 8' rods.The rod is what is used mostly with the carolina rig not so much the reel.

As far as understanding rod action and power,the action is the give of the rod or the bend and the power,well the power
Some rod brands will actually say M action or MH action but dont be fooled by that.

Last edited by thekevster; 08-17-10 at 03:35 PM.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 04:40 PM   #9
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I completely agree with the rod choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPBassin' View Post

You have two options, braided line with a leader (50lb braid, 15-20lb FC leader) or straight fluorocarbon in the tests you listed. Either will work fine, it's just personal preference.

BB
Old 08-17-10, 09:23 PM   #10
RPBassin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I'm glad to finally be a part of a bass specific forum. In my neck of the woods most people fish for walleye or musky, as i did for years, until i made the switch to bass only a few years back. Since most don't specifically bass fish and have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to topics like this, it's hard to get good advice.
Old 08-17-10, 09:30 PM   #11
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I Jig fish, but as you can tell from my posts all summer long I am not much on carolina rig.. yet... but it would seem to me that you would want 7'-7'6" and a MH action at the least maybe even a heavy action...

If i were doing teh buying... i would go 7' MH... I use a cheap $40 7' MH Fast rod for all my Jig fishn and the occasional carolina rig... its an Abu Garcia Conolon Premiere and you can only get em at Wal-Mart... but it is a hoss... hasnt broke yet... even when i hooked a 14lb cat...
HEY: I use the 6'6" Conolon, from Wal mart in MH for Jigs and C rigs, No Problem, best 40 bucks I ever spent!!!!!! I cant use the 7 ft rods, it messes with my shoulder too much!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 03:40 PM   #12
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't fish C-rigs much, but like the others, i always have 50 pound braid for jigs.

If it were me, I'd go with a 7' MH rod, that'll work just fine for both uses.

Good luck!
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 06:13 PM   #13
Ebbetsguy

I use Original Stren Mono, have for years, works good for all my fishing needs
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 05:37 PM   #14
dave0943

I use a 7' Cabela's Fish Eagle 11 MH for one of my Jig and rig set ups. I use a little lighter line 30 LB power Pro with 15 lb Floro leader. I river fish in rocks and wood. the lite line works fine. I like the faster sink. If I get hung up bad, the leader breaks. This saves my Carolina hardware. I do use a heavier power Pro, 50 LB on another jig set up. Abu 5600 c4 on a 7' MH Ugly stick lite. This is great for either jig or Carolina 7.5 or 10" worm rigs,for flippin in cover.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 10:09 AM   #15
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd go with a H action rod. Getting a hookset with either technique requires a rod with some backbone, and a H action fits the bill better than a MH action, but that's just me. I use 50 lb Powerpro for both, and no leader on jigs-only the C-rig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.