Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-21-05, 07:31 PM   #1
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R
Default outboard starter

I was fishing a tournament 2 weekends ago and at 730am the motor wouldnt start. It would just click and the starter wheel would spin(thats what was clicking) but woulndt jump up and spin the flywheel to start the engine. So im thinking I have to replace the starter and was wondering if anyone has done it before and is it something I could do at home or do i need to take it somewhere to have it done? thanks
Old 03-21-05, 08:55 PM   #2
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101
Default Re: outboard starter

More than likely you can fix it without removing the starter.
Get one sray can of CRC QD electronic cleaner and one can of CRC 556 spray lube.

Take the starter gear and turn it with your fingers,one way it will ride up and mate to the flywheel,the other way it wont.
With the gear up the shaft spray the shaft with the electronic cleaner and make sure it's free of rough spots and burr's.Then spray the lube on the shaft and your done.
If the shaft looks tore up where the gear rides up you will need the starter rebuilt.
Do NOT use brake cleaner for cleaning the starter bendix it will destroy any painted surface it touches as well as the copper/graphite brushes in the starter.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 09:13 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i had this problem once
backed the boat in floated it off the trailer . parked the truck went to start it the starter spun but would not connect to the fly wheel. had to get the truck put the boat back on the trailer with tm. pulled up the hill and removed the moter cover. the blasted starter had viberated loose from the head mounting's lost both screws -one was hanging in the hole the other was in the bottom of the moter pan- even when i tightened them up by hand the starter would not work right i had to drag the boat home to find a wrench that would tighten it only then would it crank the moter . i put some lock tight on it -the medium strenth one-and have had no problems since.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 06:50 PM   #4
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

Thanks for the advise fellas, i lubed it up and got a full charged battery and fired it up and it started fine thank god. I appreciate y'alls help on this. Now i need to find my reciept for that battery because it isnt holding a charge and it is warranted for a year and i bought it 6months ago. thanks again.
Old 03-24-05, 10:01 PM   #5
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Check the water levels in that battery. That might be your problem.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.