Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-20-13, 04:49 AM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Relevant to spring cold front

In the past 6-8 weeks local water temps have risen 15+ degrees. The fish have definately moved up and are willing to eat. Abundant winter rain has all the lakes at full pool+. Everything is perculating nicely. Now comes the dreaded cold front, water temps certain to drop quickly.

I understand this subject has been the topic of endless magazine articles, TV shows and internet discussions and I've listened to all of them. I know what I always do but I'd really like to hear how you guys approach this situation. Especially anything outside the box. Be as specific as you will.
Old 03-20-13, 06:22 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just recently saw a video and read an article about cold fronts, and one thing that was mentioned by both was that the water temps will not drop as fast as many people think. If you were doing well with a particular pattern the day previous to the cold front, start you day out the same way. The bass may still be where they were the day before. If after giving it a go, and the results are poor, then you should change tactics.
Myself, if it appears to be a harsh cold front with clear skies, I will tend to slow down and start picking apart heavier cover by pitching a creature bait or similar. If that fails, I'll try working the deeper weedlines with deep diving crankbaits, jigs, plastics, ect.
I know a lot of guys are going to use the drop shot or shaky head in the situation. I've never given eiter much of a chance to work. Thats something I want to force myself to use more this year.
Old 03-26-13, 02:55 PM   #3
3dkicker

I would think that you'd use your sonar to locate the fish. Are they suspended, hugging the bottom, or related to cover? Then chose the bait and retrieve to catch them.

Of course I typically go with baits that have worked in the past and then blame the baits or the fish when I don't catch them .
Old 03-26-13, 04:37 PM   #4
bassinbob

I don't pay attention to the hype. If I want to go fishing I just go.
Old 03-26-13, 06:03 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I don't pay attention to the hype. Bob I wasn't trying to get you to pay attention to any hype, a cold front question is about as far removed from hype as anything I can imagine. If I want to go fishing I just go. Understood, I was just wondering if anybody had a cold front strategy that maybe I wasn't aware of. Please carry on. .
.................................................. ............................
Old 03-26-13, 06:19 PM   #6
bassinbob

Ok ken. I don't really do anything different. I use all my favorite baits. If nothing works I usually as last resort use plastics fished slow around cover.
Old 03-27-13, 07:41 PM   #7
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

from my past experience, once bass move up, they will stay there. you will have to change what you were doing to catch them sometimes. if you had been whacking them on a crankbait before the front and temp. drop, you may have to go to a jerkbait, a- rig, or even to something as small and slow as a crappie jig. i have caught many bass right where we had been ripping them on a crankbait before a really cold front on a crappie jig. time on the water really helps. also, they will usually move back to steeper banks, or where the channel is closest to the bank. there is my two cents which not ever worth anything.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 12:44 AM   #8
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I caught my first fish of the year after a 65 degree day that ended in a drop to 20 degrees followed by 6 inches of snow odd huh well that's Indiana for you. Anywho . I tend to follow Keith's mantra once I see that there ready to eat regardless of temp I stay with that pattern until it craps out. Then I get out the tackle box and throw the house at it until I find a new pattern that works.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.