Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-05-12, 05:41 PM   #1
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flippin off Flipping

When is the correct time to start pitching and flippin baits? I have no clue as I,m new to the whole concept.
Thanks
p.s. be genial as I'm a virgin
Old 04-05-12, 05:45 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Anytime you think fish are in or around cover or structure. We don't have grass around here so flipping or pitching to me usually means shallow cover or around boat docks. I will start flipping and pitching when the fish start moving shallow in the spring and will keep doing it until the water has cooled off enough in the late fall that they move out to deeper water. Of course not all the fish are doing the same thing at the same time, and it's possible to catch fish up shallow year round. But generally speaking your best bet is once the water starts warming up a little bit in the spring through late fall.
Old 04-05-12, 05:50 PM   #3
bamabassman

like kory said, anytime and anywhere....
Old 04-05-12, 06:44 PM   #4
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbasser View Post
When is the correct time to start pitching and flippin baits?
To me flipping and pitching means boat docks. I will also pitch or flip to stumps and laydowns, or lilly pads - but 90% of the time it's boat docks. It seems your main question is WHEN? My simplified answer: anytime the sun is high in the sky.

Time of Day:
Early morning and late evening I generally look for active fish with a frog, buzzbait, topwater, or some other lure. Generally there is a lull around mid-morning when the fish seem to shut-down. I've always felt the fish have decide they've been out feeding long enough and it's time to hunker-down for the day. That's when I usually switch tactics and start flipping and pitching to cover - specifically boat docks.

Time of Year:
Spring: On sunny days fish move shallow for sun-warmed water or to check out spawning areas. The lake I generally fish is virtually weed free until mid-may, so the main structure in shallow water are boat docks.

Summer: When the sun is high, the bass tend to look for shade. Boat docks are great places for bass to hang out and avoid the sun.

Fall: As the days get shorter the weeds begin to die. Generally the deepest weeds die first and the shallowest weeds die last. Instead of producing oxygen like weeds do all summer, they consume oxygen in the decay process. In the fall fish generally move shallower for oxygen-rich water and I can generally find them around docks.

There are boat docks around the majority of the shoreline on my favorite lake. Boat docks are just cover. In other lakes the primary cover may be lay-downs, stumps or weed beds. In my opinion flipping and pitching is a good technique to fish any cover when the sun is high.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 11:16 PM   #5
keithdog

The way I look at it is when don't I pitch or flip? I don't pitch when I'm in clear water and bass are in more open water where they are skittish. I don't pitch if I cannot get sufficiantly close enough to do so. There are times when a longer cast is needed or prefered. Mostly when you want to present your bait without spooking the bass or letting them know of your presence. Or when casting a crankbait or other lure designed to cover a lot of water and a long cast is prefered. But if bass are burried in cover or if the water is stained enough to help shield my presence, then I will be pitchin. If I want to present a lure with minimal splash, I'll pitch or flip.
Old 04-06-12, 01:05 AM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Anytime I'm not using a crank bait or a C rig.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 06:12 PM   #7
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As soon as the water warms up in the spring around any kind of cover.
Old 04-07-12, 08:51 AM   #8
coldbasser

Thank You guys for the great advice I'm looking forward to the ice off and getting out there and flippin.
Rick
Old 04-09-12, 12:54 AM   #9
kiddelicious
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbasser View Post
Thank You guys for the great advice I'm looking forward to the ice off and getting out there and flippin.
Rick
Enjoy that pre spawn walleye first sir!

Anytime the bass go into cover over that first week warmer water temps amd high skys is a good time to start.
kiddelicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.