Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-31-12, 10:30 PM   #1
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default hopefully my last fish finder thread

ok i sold a dirt bike today and that means hello 1198c si fish finder!!! i have a few questions tho.
1. y on ebay do they have some that are $2400 and some that r $2800? they have the same part numbers as the humminbird website. im wondering if thats a warranty thing?
2. this will b my only fish finder on my boat for a while, is there a way to make it moveable from the console to the bow? ill have the ducer on the back but just wondering if there was a cable or something i could get to move it back and forth.

any input is appreciated. im pretty excited to get this thing and i no this will improve my ability to catch fish.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 08:40 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Make sure you get one from an ebay store,as private ebay sellers wont get you any warranty,the store will have receipt in the box with their name on it and bird will honor.
In other words if joe blow sells you a unit no warranty,if jacobs sporting goods does it has one.(example)
After you get one create an account ,hummingbird.com,,list the model and serial number as being owned by you,should someone try a midnight discount its online all the info you need for the report and cant be linked to someone elses account,repairs etc.
Not all those used ones without power cord and transducer are kosher,thus keeps yours semi safe.
Away from home disconnect and take inside the motel room.
Between me and the 45 its again semi safe,and I dont own one that costs quite that much just want to keep it

Last edited by lilmule; 08-01-12 at 08:51 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 08:47 AM   #3
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
ok i sold a dirt bike today and that means hello 1198c si fish finder!!! i have a few questions tho.
1. y on ebay do they have some that are $2400 and some that r $2800? they have the same part numbers as the humminbird website. im wondering if thats a warranty thing?
2. this will b my only fish finder on my boat for a while, is there a way to make it moveable from the console to the bow? ill have the ducer on the back but just wondering if there was a cable or something i could get to move it back and forth.

any input is appreciated. im pretty excited to get this thing and i no this will improve my ability to catch fish.

Yes, you can use the head unit in different locations with one transducer. You need the Humminbird US3 switch and whatever mounting hardware you decide on.
Old 08-01-12, 11:49 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Prices vary, depending upon which software is loaded.
Easiest way to use ONE unit THAT BIG at both the helm and when up front would be to mount it on a RAM mount (preferably a swing arm, I don't like the ball mount for the heavy 10" units - they will slip). Use of the RAM allows you to simply turn the unit around, no need to unplug or run additional wires and switch. You can see those big units very well. If it was a small unit, not as easily viewable.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 01:18 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Prices vary, depending upon which software is loaded.
Easiest way to use ONE unit THAT BIG at both the helm and when up front would be to mount it on a RAM mount (preferably a swing arm, I don't like the ball mount for the heavy 10" units - they will slip). Use of the RAM allows you to simply turn the unit around, no need to unplug or run additional wires and switch. You can see those big units very well. If it was a small unit, not as easily viewable.

This is how I have mine setup on my boat, and I have to tell you I get tired of turning around to see what is going on. I dont have a finder the size of a 1198, but I can tell you that I will either be adding another finder or adding the switch.
Old 08-01-12, 03:36 PM   #6
bassboogieman

May I suggest a pair of biker glasses - the ones with the little rear-view mirrors? Nah, then right would be left and left would be right and all our little discussions would be so screwed up..............................

How you position your boat definitely has a bearing on how much you have to turn around to view. When bank fishing, having the starboard side of the boat towards the bank makes it easier, but that can't always be done. As for me, if I'm fishing a bank (well, I usually fish banks) I like running them first and looking at it on the sonar from a bit farther out than I will fishing it, if I deciede to do so. Once I actually begin fishing a bank, I rarely look at the sonar again (and usually turn it off to be a bit quieter) as most of the cover or structure is visible. When fishing deep water, the boat can usually be positioned to make looking over your shoulder and not turning around much easier, should the only unit you have be at the helm. Depends a lot on fishing style, how much of an issue turning a helm unit around to be visible from the front deck will be.

It was only a suggestion, as this issue was suggested as temporary situation and it would save the guy a few bucks. Me, I don't care about the money I'd just go and get a second unit - I know, not everyone can do that either. I also think it's entirely too much trouble disconnecting a large unit at the helm and reconnecting it at the helm. How many times a day are you going to do that, before you begin hating it? Aw hell, just go buy a mid-size unit of your favorite brand (I strongly do NOT suggest a 5" unit up front - that's what I did and couldn't see it well enough, it's now been put on the kayak and it's much better suited for that) and be done with it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 08-01-12 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 03:40 PM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
This is how I have mine setup on my boat, and I have to tell you I get tired of turning around to see what is going on. I dont have a finder the size of a 1198, but I can tell you that I will either be adding another finder or adding the switch.
That is also how I have my 1198 set up. Screen size means nothing when it's facing the other way. It was charming for a while, but being lazy, and cognizant of how short life is, I am also getting tired of flipping it around and over to view it from the bow. I also worry that I will somehow manage to drop it over the side someday. I simply must get another unit for the bow.
Old 08-01-12, 03:51 PM   #8
bassboogieman

LMFAO - Bryce, if it's a PITA for you to turn it around, I can't imagine how you'd feel disconnecting it and carting it up front and connecting it, then back when it's time to move to another location. I don't know if you should add another big unit up front - all the extra weight, you have enough trouble getting on plane now. You should just trade me boats (you'll need to add a litttle cash - about half the price of an upgade to a 175 ), go buy a kayak for the home water and your worries are over......................
Old 08-01-12, 05:07 PM   #9
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
I can't imagine how you'd feel disconnecting it and carting it up front and connecting it, then back when it's time to move to another location.
I would probably feel really, really dumb....
Old 08-01-12, 10:18 PM   #10
lilmule

Actually you could just place a splitter cable on it and should auto switch,if going from a sf to dual beam for running.
I had to place a switch in as run a troller and a transom on same unit,however mines mounted at bow can actually read it from console so no moving it from middle to front.Physically moving it forward would need a second mount for it,they pop in and out but a lil stiff,always afraid it would go overboard.
Easiest is to gimbel mount just swivel it.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-01-12 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 07:00 PM   #11
oglejust

ITS ORDERED!!!! bought it locally, $2650 get it mid next week. im so excited
Old 08-06-12, 11:34 PM   #12
oglejust

got the finder today, got it put in, took a couple hours. took it to the lake right at dark. cruised around some places i know just to c what they looked like on the finder. found a couple other things im looking forward to fishing tomorrow. goin from daylight till i gotta go to work at 8am. wish me luck
Old 08-07-12, 01:05 AM   #13
lilmule

Have fun,give a good report on that finder later with some pics and how you interpret them and what else you see you didnt prior,be interesting.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.