Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-23-06, 02:55 PM   #1
jleavis
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spook Action

I get good "walking the dog" action when I first tie on the spook, but after a while, the lure starts to dive and pop.......not the most realistic action I've ever seen. I think that my line starts to ride too high on the top of the eyelet. Anybody have any suggestions to keep my spook gliding smoothly? I'd appreciate any tips!

Jim
jleavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 02:56 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd say you're working it too fast/hard, if its diving an popping, slow down on the amount of pull
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 03:42 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The thing I have learned with the zara spook jr baits, is the standard split rings are too big on the store bought bait.They actually hinder the movement of the hooks as the bait is worked.Replace the split rings for at least the next size smaller, even replace the line tie split ring as well and I also recommend putting Gamakatsu #4 trebles when you replace the split rings.Also work the bait on at least 14 lb test. I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 08:02 PM   #4
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Whenever i use ANY topwater i always have a snap swivel on. Gives the lure a wider range of movement.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 11:55 PM   #5
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A couple of thigs I do were already mentioned...change split rings and make sure your "cadence" is not to fast. I use a 7ft med/hvy with 15lb mono. I cast it out and let it sit for a second or 2(i can wait till rinds disappear before moving too). I will use the movements if you think of a clock from 4 to 6. Rod pointed down. I will walk the dog on slightly slack line(kinda like a rip bait with shorter jerks). I will walk it for like 2-3 ft rest for a second then continue ALL the way back to the boat. I cant tell you how many fish I have gotten right at the boat. Make sure you dont reel to fast back in you might lose out on a chance of a nice fish. Spooks take practice but the reward is truely awesome! Good Luck and Tight Lines!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 06:37 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleavis
I get good "walking the dog" action when I first tie on the spook, but after a while, the lure starts to dive and pop.......not the most realistic action I've ever seen. I think that my line starts to ride too high on the top of the eyelet. Anybody have any suggestions to keep my spook gliding smoothly? I'd appreciate any tips!

Jim
Sounds like to me you have one of 2 things going on. One the line you are using has started to soak up water. Lines will do this. Thats why after a few cast the line gets easier to manage. You could also possibly have a leak in your spook. What type of line you got on your reels??
Old 05-24-06, 12:47 PM   #7
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A few things you might try:
1. Use braid and a 6' or more, medium action rod with a fast tip for a crisp line snap/ nose jerk
2. Use a single or double clinch knot - pulled tight and pulled straight down from the line tie. (I never use a s. ring on a walking bait that has a weighted tail.)
3. Jerk the rod tip low-and-to-the-side as well as almost vertically to see what works better and always in standing position for the best hookset.
4. If the Spook gives you wrist and arm fatique, try the banana shaped walkers (Sammie or Lew's Pencil (BPS) - they walk easily and never dive.
5. If the nose doesn't ride slightly higher than the tail when the lure is at rest, stick a lead spot near the tail.

I've been walking walkers for over 15 years and the above works for me.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 01:03 PM   #8
Set-The-Hook
BassFishin.Com Member

use mono and put a bit of wax ie candle on the line.
mono takes on water and sinks after awhile, wax keeps it up.
Set-The-Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 01:38 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Wow, simple fix use a surgeons loop knot. Make loop three inches big. Gives a strong leader in case you run into pickel's with teeth.
Does every one here know how make a surgeons loop knot? Would you like directions?

Never add weight to the front of a spook. Even a snap changes its attitude.

Capt Mike
Old 05-24-06, 01:50 PM   #10
JB

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 02:10 PM   #11
Captmikestarrett

I have one even simpler one than that. That was an improved surgeons loop.

Take your 50 lb to 20lb braided line and tie a simple overhand knot in the line. Keep knot open by sticking your pinkie in it and have about ten inches of line down from knot. Pass end thru eye of lure. We will call the end a (rabbit) for clarity. So the rabbit runs thru the eye and back thru overhand knot(rabbit hole) and runs around the line leading to knot (tree) six times and back down the hole. Spit on knot and tighten. Voala a perfect loop that will hold 98 percent knot strength. You can tie it in the dark with just a little practice.

Let me see if I can find a visual..

Capt Mike
Old 05-24-06, 02:12 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

It works real well with mono too. I use it all the time on tippits(fly rod)

Capt Mike
Old 05-24-06, 03:41 PM   #13
pig n jig

That last knot shown be the Jimmy Houston knot.That's what he ties for topwater and crankbaits.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 05:37 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett
It works real well with mono too. I use it all the time on tippits(fly rod)

Capt Mike
Thats a great pic of a knot that I have wanted to try for several years and never could visualize the knot or understand the directions. LOL Makes me feel kinda dumb. Work on fuel injected motors and cant tie a damn knot. LMAO!!!
Old 05-25-06, 09:07 AM   #15
flbassman

Yup, Captain Mike, my dad taught me that knot. He used to use it on plugs for spanish and kings. Now, it's all I use for topwater.
Old 06-06-06, 09:33 AM   #16
jleavis
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks, all!

As usual, you guys provided a wealth of knowledge on the subject!
That's why I always partner with better fishermen than myself!

Thanks!
jleavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 10:01 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleavis

Jim
Sounds like YOU are changing something from the start of your spooking to the end of your spooking. I haven't ever heard of a spook taking on water, but I think that's a reasonable thing here to check also. If your line is looping around your rod tip, then use the line dragging behind the boat trick and use Reel Magic, or KVD's stuff. I would be more inclined to look at your mechanics from the beginning. Do you get tired, or bored, and just start switching up the cadence or could be something as simple as you lose your focus.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.