Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-08-06, 06:50 PM   #1
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default lbs for braid

i was in wally world today looking at line.As I was looking,i realized that braid has higher lbs test than mono and fluoro.For example,i saw that There was between 4 and 12 lbs for the monos and between 10 and 65 for the braid.Why is this?

thanks,
BF
Old 06-08-06, 11:34 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It is because of what they are made of. Mono is basically nylon. Braid, on the other hand is most often made of Spectra fiber, which along with kevlar is used among other things to make bullet proof vests. It is much stronger than mono, so when it is spun into braided line the breaking strength is much higher. For example, I like 12 lb green Trilene XL on the rods I have rigged with mono. It has an approximate diameter of .013 inches. The same approximate diameter of braid-I prefer PowerPro-has a 50 lb test strength.

There are areas where each works better than the other. When I throw crankbaits I prefer mono because it has some stretch which acts as a shock absorber when a fish hits it. Braid has no stretch so it works better with worms and jigs where you have to make an "active" hookset-most times when a fish hits a crankbait it hooks itself on the exposed hooks, but with a worm or jig you have to set the hook in order to get the fish in the boat.
Old 06-09-06, 03:49 AM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In addition to Reb's great points, it is also likely that there is no market or demand for monos of higher # strength in your area. In my area, 20 and 25# mono is available and needed for some applications like fishing is the salt from the jetties, piers, or shore.

So lines are out there for both braid and mono in much higher strengths, but they might very well not be necessary in your area.
Old 06-09-06, 11:11 AM   #4
senko

that makes alot of sense,thanks!!!
Old 06-09-06, 02:28 PM   #5
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Also the published strength of the Braid is underweighted.

the actual breaking strength is about 2.3 to 2.5 more than published on the box.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 05:37 PM   #6
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9
Also the published strength of the Braid is underweighted.

the actual breaking strength is about 2.3 to 2.5 more than published on the box.
No doubt. This stuff is stout.Good point.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 01:32 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah and i got to say that minimum of 30 pound braid be used when fishing the thick stuff. catch a large bass even on stout tackle. and he will go where he wants to for the next 20 feet.

i caught a pb on the frog this morning -7.2- had to pull him thru 2 sets of weeds-asian day flower-the first was easy but the second he got me cranking like mad to get a nother pull for the outer ring of weeds. wrapped me up but good had to go in and grab the fish and cut the line. but oh well..it is only 40 pound ande braid.

zooker
Old 06-10-06, 05:30 PM   #8
dodgeguy

congratulations zooker!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.