Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-06-08, 11:51 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Another carolina rig question.

I know how to tie a carolina rig. My question involves the pre made rigs. Made with wire, the weight, bead, clicker and swivel all contained in this nice little easy to use packaged rig. All you do is tie it to your line, add your leader and hook and your in buisness. While it looks handy, how well does it really work? It seems to me the advantage of doing it the old fashioned way would be that the fish can run with the lure in his mouth while the line feeds easily through the rig. With these pre made rigs, the line won't feed through the sinker and rig, but rather the fish will be dragging it along. I would think a bass might be more prone to dropping the bait if he feels this resistance. Anyone tried these pre made C Rigs? And if so, did you notice a negative change in how they catch fish?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 11:54 PM   #2
Rebbasser

Good question, Keith. I haven't used them, but if you fish rocks where you get hung up I highly recommend a Lindy No-Snagg or even better a Rattling No-Snagg sinker. Banana shaped (yeah, I know, some of y'all freak at the thought of a banana on the boat) that comes through rocks and snags extremely well. Comes through weeds well, too.
Old 07-06-08, 11:59 PM   #3
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just my opinion, but I think you hit the nail on the head, Kdog. The ol' fashion way allows the fish some time to scarf and run. The original is a lot more sensitive, too. As a suggestion, maybe try some steel or tungsten weights instead of the traditional lead weights. They transmit better but they're more expensive. Plus, it's a whole lot more expensive to lose that pre-made contraption than to make your own. Also, many times, we use too much weight. The pre-made are generally heavier than what's really needed.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 12:14 AM   #4
bamabassman

always rigged them meself keithdawgie. bought a drop shot rigg just to see first hand how todo it. but i agree with you. prerigged ain't too impressive to me. old ways still work, why change? unless you're rich or too lay or want to see how to do it first hand like me.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 09:28 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use the Tru Tungsten flippin' weights with a TT force bead. The combination on the tungsten weight and bead give and awesome sound, much louder than brass 'n glass.

I've used the premade ones, and found they reduce sentitivity a bit and also they are bulky. That's another reason I use the tungsten weights: they ar emuch more compact than brass, lead, or steel.

BB
Old 07-08-08, 09:13 AM   #6
JB

a little trick that saves tons of time on the water is to have 1/2 dozen c-rigs already made up in individual small baggies, the leader, swivel, and hook tied up, with a egg sinker n beads in the bag ready to go too.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:45 AM   #7
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do that JB and I also have a trick where I use a football jig and a split ring as my sinker. Put the split ring on and slide on line then a bead and a small swivel..

have got some nice doubles with a lizard trailing the jig.

Capt Mike
Old 07-08-08, 10:48 AM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I do that JB and I also have a trick where I use a football jig and a split ring as my sinker. Put the split ring on and slide on line then a bead and a small swivel..

Capt Mike

Interesting. I may try that after I get confortable with the standard Carolina rig.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 02:50 PM   #9
bassnman30

If you go with Tru-Tungsten then I suggest go with a colored weight. The fish wont pick it up and run with it. Especially Panfish, they're bad about doing this.
Old 07-08-08, 03:59 PM   #10
BigBassin144

I use the metal colors or black, and that's about it. I've never had said problem with panfish with either. Captmike, I've heard of people doing that. So it actually works... interesting.

BB
Old 07-08-08, 11:07 PM   #11
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Capt,

Do you use a trailer on the jig with the c-rig?
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 08:22 PM   #12
bothomas

kdog hit it dead on. premade rigs don't let the fish take the lure without feeling the weight, and you don't feel the bite. Ask capt mike how he fishes a drop shot.... I bet he likes to use a jighead and grub or similar as the weight.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 09:27 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post

Capt Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
kdog hit it dead on. premade rigs don't let the fish take the lure without feeling the weight, and you don't feel the bite. Ask capt mike how he fishes a drop shot.... I bet he likes to use a jighead and grub or similar as the weight.

Little late there Bo.

BB
Old 07-09-08, 09:31 PM   #14
bothomas

He was talking about c-rig. I was talking about using a lure as the weight on a drop shot as well......
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 09:32 PM   #15
BigBassin144

oh.... my bad.... The only problem with that is, you can't tell if the bite is on the DS or the jig. And jigs need good hooksets aslittle fine wire DS hooks don't...

BB
Old 07-10-08, 01:34 PM   #16
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
oh.... my bad.... The only problem with that is, you can't tell if the bite is on the DS or the jig. And jigs need good hooksets aslittle fine wire DS hooks don't...

BB
Is that why one of my hooks broke!?!?
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.