Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-24-09, 09:01 PM   #1
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

Default new superlines

Anyone trying any of the new superlines coming out for 09? right now im using powerpro but im looking at the new vicious braid.
set_the_hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 09:40 PM   #2
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Im thinking about trying braid this year myself. Im thinking about trying stren braid.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 09:53 PM   #3
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

upgrading for me has been a slow process as my Power Pro eventually wears out. And my upgrade has been to Sufix Preformence Braid.
Old 01-25-09, 12:10 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd like to try some new lines, especially supe rlines, but I love sufix Performace braid too much. From looking at the store, Stren Braid is one I'll probably never think about buying. It's not smooth at all. And it's expensive.

BB
Old 01-25-09, 07:06 AM   #5
WTL

I always wait a couple years for word of mouth to clear up which new products in such a congested market are for real. Line is expensive, and I have no real complaints with PowerPro to begin with.

Besides, "Vicious" line? What first year marketing grad thought of that? I swear I think they sometimes spend more money and time on marketing than R&D.
Old 01-25-09, 11:21 PM   #6
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
upgrading for me has been a slow process as my Power Pro eventually wears out. And my upgrade has been to Sufix Preformence Braid.
Do you like it?
Frogman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 11:23 PM   #7
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd like to try some new lines, especially supe rlines, but I love sufix Performace braid too much. From looking at the store, Stren Braid is one I'll probably never think about buying. It's not smooth at all. And it's expensive.

BB
Isn't suffix performance a Stren product?
Frogman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 12:03 AM   #8
BassBandit

Agree with others, Sufix Performance Braid all the way. Love it.

Frogman, no, Sufix is Sufix, another brand.
Old 01-26-09, 03:00 AM   #9
Nitro 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by set_the_hook View Post
Anyone trying any of the new superlines coming out for 09? right now im using powerpro but im looking at the new vicious braid.
Never seen it yet. Is it at the local stores of just the real fishing shops?
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 06:35 PM   #10
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman51 View Post
I think you're getting the products and manufactures somewhat mixed up. Stren does make a line of braid. I've never used it, so I can' say how good or bad it may be.

I've been a Power Pro 100% guy for several years. I've learned to live with tip wrap from it being a 4 strand Spectra lline that is more oval then round. And it does make a weird noise going through the guides. Sufix braid is the next generation braid. It's a 6 strand Spectra line which is nearly round. It doesn't seem to have those dreaded tip wrap issues.

All braid is rather stiff when you 1st spool it up. But once you've used it some, it starts to act more like a old Flannel shirt and just get softer with age. In most cases I end up changing line after 3 years max if I don't 1st run out of line from cut offs, etc. For the final year I reverse the braid so that I'm now fishing with the end of the line that's never seen the light of day.

I also use a leader when and where it's necessary.
Old 01-27-09, 07:46 PM   #11
The Doc

I'm starting to get into really getting the best performance out of my line. I have confidence in my lure selection and my rod and reel selection, I use really good equipment. Line was the last thing that I needed to upgrade to be able to compete on a better than most level. I started looking into non-biased research and testing, and as of lately, the japanese line companies like Sunline and Toray have been getting rave reviews. Does the line cost more than other companies? Yes, but when it comes to the most fragile part of you either catching or losing a big fish, I'd rather spend the extra $5-15 for the better line.
Old 01-28-09, 09:04 AM   #12
Bassboss

No I have not, but I know that Ppro will become a new braid of 09, I read an article on the shimano site that the bought out Ppro! If the spool of it I have now is shimano, than it's worse!
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 11:10 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman51 View Post
Nope, Stren is owned by Pure Fishing. They don't have anything to do with sufix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
No I have not, but I know that Ppro will become a new braid of 09, I read an article on the shimano site that the bought out Ppro! If the spool of it I have now is shimano, than it's worse!
I'm curious to see what Shimano's gonna do with PP. From what I've heard, Shimano has already tried to fix some things that weren't broken. I've heard the G. Loomis rods aren't as good since Shimano bought them.

I like Sufix braid better, but I still use power pro, so I hope shimano doesn't change anything.

BB
Old 01-28-09, 03:40 PM   #14
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Nope, Stren is owned by Pure Fishing. They don't have anything to do with sufix.

I'm curious to see what Shimano's gonna do with PP. From what I've heard, Shimano has already tried to fix some things that weren't broken. I've heard the G. Loomis rods aren't as good since Shimano bought them.

I like Sufix braid better, but I still use power pro, so I hope shimano doesn't change anything.

BB
I for one hope they completely change Power Pro. I've been a long time Power JPro user and have learned to deal with, or put up with PPs short comings. Many that stem directly from it being a 4 strand Spectra Line. That's the main reason why I've been slowly converting over to Sufix Braid which is 6 strand. shimano would be best served by upgrading PP to a min of a 6 strand line.
Old 01-28-09, 04:37 PM   #15
jig fisherman

what color suffix do you use in clear water?
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 04:48 PM   #16
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig fisherman View Post
I only use one color braid all the time for every setup. Moss Green. But keep in mind that for all but my jigging setup in weeds, I use a mono leader. Dia. again depends on what setup I'm using.
Old 01-28-09, 04:51 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I for one hope they completely change Power Pro. I've been a long time Power Pro user and have learned to deal with, or put up with PPs short comings. Many that stem directly from it being a 4 strand Spectra Line. That's the main reason why I've been slowly converting over to Sufix Braid which is 6 strand. shimano would be best served by upgrading PP to a min of a 6 strand line.

If you want braid with a high pick count, than get Daiwa Samurai Braided Line it's got a very high pick count, I think it's 8 or so. Pricey though!
Old 01-28-09, 07:37 PM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig fisherman View Post
I would use a green, Just add a Fluorocarbon leader, I use a 20lb pink colored leader, I think it's yo zori brand. Works well you don't have to worry about throwing into weeds.
Old 01-29-09, 08:23 PM   #19
BigBassin144

I only use green braid as well. IfI'm fishing clear water, I'll go with a fluoro leader or just straight fluoro.

BB
Old 02-02-09, 07:53 PM   #20
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I'm starting to get into really getting the best performance out of my line. I have confidence in my lure selection and my rod and reel selection, I use really good equipment. Line was the last thing that I needed to upgrade to be able to compete on a better than most level. I started looking into non-biased research and testing, and as of lately, the japanese line companies like Sunline and Toray have been getting rave reviews. Does the line cost more than other companies? Yes, but when it comes to the most fragile part of you either catching or losing a big fish, I'd rather spend the extra $5-15 for the better line.

I absolutely loved Toray line.I had it spooled up for 3 years and never any problems with weakening or breaking.That is something I don't normally do but it was difficult to get and it held up with no failure. Jinkai is another extremely good but expensive line. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.